2019 tag options

Jacack

WKR
Looking for some advice as I haven't done much mule deer hunting as I always burn all my time elk hunting.

I have been building points in a few places and wanted some opinions on my best strategies.

Points I have now
10 in az
5 in co
4 in nevada
8 in wy
9 and 8 in ut

This year I should have plenty of time and want to hunt mule deer, don't care if archery or rifle but kind of think rifle might way to go as I won't get to scout ahead of town but I am also fine with a bow assuming the draw odds would be better.

I figure Colorado and wy would be my best bet and keep building in the others. But thought I would ask some people that know much more than me on deer.

I am not looking for the biggest buck on the mountain and would be happy with a smaller buck on a better quality hunt i.e. Not bumping into guys every day and having to spend half my hunt trying to avoid other hunters.

Any thought?
Thanks
Jared

slick

WKR
Wow. Not a horrible situation to be in at all

Sorry I’m not more help.

You have the points to draw what ever you want in a UT general deer unit. I would burn them as more points won't get you anything you cannot get now. UT LE units are out of reach for sure but swing for the fence as you have a chance.

In CO 5 pts will get you a good hunt, especially archery. I would burn those too as you will just be chasing point creep.

AZ, NV and WY I would swing for the fence there as you technically have a chance. Once you burn UT and CO you can find a unit in AZ and WY that will best utilize those points if you don't want to keep playing the points game.

If it was me I would swing for the fence in AZ, NV, and UT limited entry hunts. Then I would apply for a general archery unit in Utah, G in Wyoming, and a rifle tag in Colorado. You get to hunt early in Utah, hunt Wyoming with a bow and if you don't get it done then use a rifle, and then hunt a later rifle hunt in Colorado. Seems like it would allow you to have 3 good hunts without overlapping.

Regards, Branden

OP
J

Jacack

WKR
You have the points to draw what ever you want in a UT general deer unit. I would burn them as more points won't get you anything you cannot get now. UT LE units are out of reach for sure but swing for the fence as you have a chance.

In CO 5 pts will get you a good hunt, especially archery. I would burn those too as you will just be chasing point creep.

AZ, NV and WY I would swing for the fence there as you technically have a chance. Once you burn UT and CO you can find a unit in AZ and WY that will best utilize those points if you don't want to keep playing the points game.

Thanks , guess I will start looking at Utah closer and Colorado.

- - - Updated - - -

If it was me I would swing for the fence in AZ, NV, and UT limited entry hunts. Then I would apply for a general archery unit in Utah, G in Wyoming, and a rifle tag in Colorado. You get to hunt early in Utah, hunt Wyoming with a bow and if you don't get it done then use a rifle, and then hunt a later rifle hunt in Colorado. Seems like it would allow you to have 3 good hunts without overlapping.

Regards, Branden

Sounds like good advice, probably can't pull off three trips but two might be possible.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Depends on when you hit WY, but you could catch last week of archery then roll right into rifle. That would be one trip with increased odds, then decide if you want to hunt early in Utah with a bow, or later in CO with a rifle. Just a thought. Always swing for the fence in NV. I've got 3 points in NV, 3 in WY. I'm not gonna waste time trying to catch out of touch trendy units. I'd rather have 3 good hunts than one "maybe" great hunt.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk