Colorado Unit 22

HOT DAMN. Based on the preliminary results I will be hunting Unit 22 in November. With my dad. My son drew an archery tag also so we will head out there and look around for a week in September. Very much excited. I have spent a little time in the unit and have some good early intel. Just damn excited to be going on this hunt with my dad. I doubt either of us will be incredibly picky. I dont see my dad and I getting to go on many more hunts like this so it already feels special. Really excited about going back to Colorado with my son in archery season also. We will get over the counter archery tags and see if we cannot get into some bugling bulls somewhere in the state, and check out 22 so we have a better understanding of the land in November.

Just pretty stoked.

WKR
What preliminary results are you looking at out of curiousity?

Jd259

WKR
Nice my buddy’s been chasing that hunt for many years now I believe he has 10 also that’s a damn good hunt if you get the cold weather and snow either way you’ll have a blast just don’t shoot the first 24” 4x4 there’s some really nice deer to be had in there good luck!

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on the tag Brooks, regardless of the animals taken, enjoy the time you get to spend with your dad, takes lot of pictures, and build on the memories.
Mike

FURMAN

WKR
I would be fairly picky with a November tag in that unit. The deer will not be in the same place in September and November.

OP
Huntindog45
I would be fairly picky with a November tag in that unit. The deer will not be in the same place in September and November.

Yah I am going to spend a lot of time elsewhere in sept but some time just learning the unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riles1050

Lil-Rokslider
I drew 22 as well but for the muzzle loader. I'll be there early September. 3rd season is definitely the season for that unit. I'll just be looking to have a good time and find a decent buck.

FURMAN

WKR
I drew 22 as well but for the muzzle loader. I'll be there early September. 3rd season is definitely the season for that unit. I'll just be looking to have a good time and find a decent buck.

Let me know if you guys are interested in any September info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Iowaguy

FNG
Let me know if you guys are interested in any September info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hi rfurman24! I was wondering what sept info. you would have on CO unit 22. A buddy and I are heading that way to try our hand at archery elk. Coming from Iowa we are pretty accomplished whitetail hunters. Any guidance on the unit would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 20181112_165349.jpg
    20181112_165349.jpg
    602.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 20171207_185734.jpg
    20171207_185734.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 95
Any info for a few guys hunting 4th season elk? We’ve been here for 5 days and haven’t seen an elk yet; we’ve been hiking off public roads and trying to get as far away from any pressure as possible with zero luck. Any tips for some flat landers?

Iowaguy

FNG
Any info for a few guys hunting 4th season elk? We’ve been here for 5 days and haven’t seen an elk yet; we’ve been hiking off public roads and trying to get as far away from any pressure as possible with zero luck. Any tips for some flat landers?
Sorry, just saw this! We were in elk every day in September., but that was during the rut!

Dt94

FNG
Sorry, just saw this! We were in elk every day in September., but that was during the rut!
I’m planning a trip to unit 22 for the 2021 archery season could y’all give me a few tips on what to look for or a starting point first elk trip and only ever hunted deer in southern Ky any advice would be greatly appreciated not looking to still anyone’s honey holes and new to this page

Hunting DIY in Unit 22 on public land for archery can be challenging, but, it's doable. Make sure you're in shape and get off the road into those hard to access BLM pieces. Find the spots with fewer roads (Kinda hard in 22 since everyone seems to go everywhere in there). Or bring a buddy and park one rig on a road and plan to walk all the way to the other rig on the opposite road ignoring the small BLM roads that spur off and just hunt near them too.

Example:
Walk from Post Gultch to West Fork Dark Canyon all the way to Co Rd3. If you don't know where these areas are you should purchase an OnX maps subscription. It's a must-have out west especially if you're looking at your first western hunt.

Edit: I'm talking about Elk, deer would be much more challenging with the bow there.

Last edited: