Muzzleloader Advice

Benjblt

WKR
So I drew a pretty good tag for muzzleloader deer here in Oregon. . I've hunted once before with a muzzleloader so I'm semi familiar with muzzleloader hunting. My questions is what would you recommend for an Oregon-legal muzzleloader? I would like to get a resonibly light gun. I'm interested in what night has to offer but maybe there is a better option out there.

What accessories do I need to buy with it keeping in mind that I will be packing in off my back for a couple days and nights? I might be asking a lot but a list of items that I might need to deal with any issues I might encounter in the back country would be nice. It will be late October in the Oregon Cascades so there is a strong risk for things to get wet. For example: How many quickloades, primers, cleaning tools (i have no idea what these would be), etc...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a pretty much a nube to all this. Thanks all!

robie

WKR
I've never hunter Oregon but if you can post the Oregon regs on muzzleloader's I'm sure someone can help out.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
I like my Traditions Vortek Strikerfire which they make a Northwest edition that is legal in most restricted states. In Utah I can use the regular Strikerfire with 209 primers, sabot and scope.

As for stuff I like the TC speed loader, Amazon.com : Thompson Center Accessories 31007106 Magnum 4-N-1 Quick Shot .50 Caliber : Sports & Outdoors. There easy to carry, quick to use and with the bullet starter feature you don't need a starter.

I carry some extra primers in whatever holder works for the type of primer I'm using, carry a few easy access primers in case of a hang fire then a few more protected from the weather in the pack.

Carry a cleaning jag, patches, small container of oil and a small container of whatever bore cleaner your using in the off chance you might need to clean the barrel a little. I don't carry anything to clean the flash channel or flash hole for my muzzy but I figure if I ever need to run something down them I can widdle a stick down or use a pine needle.

The best thing I carry for my muzzy is this rifle cover, Gun Slicker - Waterproof Gun Cover | Alpine Innovations. I keep it handy and keep my muzzy covered if the weather turns nasty. I have carried my rifle for 2 weeks at a stretch in all sorts of weather and never had a problem with it going off when its needed.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I like my Traditions Vortek Strikerfire which they make a Northwest edition that is legal in most restricted states. In Utah I can use the regular Strikerfire with 209 primers, sabot and scope.

As for stuff I like the TC speed loader, Amazon.com : Thompson Center Accessories 31007106 Magnum 4-N-1 Quick Shot .50 Caliber : Sports & Outdoors. There easy to carry, quick to use and with the bullet starter feature you don't need a starter.

I carry some extra primers in whatever holder works for the type of primer I'm using, carry a few easy access primers in case of a hang fire then a few more protected from the weather in the pack.

Carry a cleaning jag, patches, small container of oil and a small container of whatever bore cleaner your using in the off chance you might need to clean the barrel a little. I don't carry anything to clean the flash channel or flash hole for my muzzy but I figure if I ever need to run something down them I can widdle a stick down or use a pine needle.

The best thing I carry for my muzzy is this rifle cover, Gun Slicker - Waterproof Gun Cover | Alpine Innovations. I keep it handy and keep my muzzy covered if the weather turns nasty. I have carried my rifle for 2 weeks at a stretch in all sorts of weather and never had a problem with it going off when its needed.

Great recommendation on the gun slicker. I just ordered it on Black Ovis for $18. I've used the quick loads as well and like them also. Thank you.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I've never hunter Oregon but if you can post the Oregon regs on muzzleloader's I'm sure someone can help out.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
See below for Muzzleloader regs:

During muzzleloader only seasons and
600 series hunts where there is a weapon
restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only
or archery/muzzleloader only the following
restrictions apply:
» Scopes, and sights that use batteries,
artificial light or energy are not allowed
except for visually impaired hunters (a
permit is required; please see page 25).
Open and peep sights made from alloys,
plastic, or other materials that do not
have the properties described above are
legal sights. Fiber optics and fluorescent
paint incorporated into or on open or
iron sights are legal.
» It is illegal to hunt with jacketed
bullets, sabots, and bullets with plastic
or synthetic tips or bases. Only the
following projectile/bullet types are allowed: a) Round balls made of lead,
lead alloy, or federally-approved nontoxic
shot material, used with cloth, paper or
felt patches; (b) Conical bullets made
of lead, lead alloy, or federally-approved
nontoxic shot material, with a length that
does not exceed twice the diameter; (c)
Lead free copper conical bullets with a
length that does not exceed twice the
diameter.
» It is illegal to hunt with centerfire
primers as an ignition source, the
muzzleloader must have an open
ignition. See definition on page 90.
» It is illegal to hunt with pelletized powders
or propellants. Granular (loose) black
powder and black powder substitutes are
the only legal propellants.
» No other firearm may be used for
hunting during a muzzleloader-only
season.
» Muzzleloading firearms with revolving
actions are prohibited.

OXN939

WKR
+1 for the gun slicker. Also, since you stated you're new to the game... get your setup nailed down, and then get to and spend time at the range. I'd try to go 4x before your hunt. That will answer a lot of the questions you're having as well as familiarize you with your blackpowder gear, which requires a user to develop a much greater base of knowledge than hunting with modern firearms.

joemulkey

FNG
I would recommend getting the knight ultra light in either the Colorado version and buy the kit to make it what they call western legal or just buy the western legal version. The reason I say buy the Colorado version is next year we will be able to use 209 primers in Oregon and it comes drilled for a scope so if ya go to another state that allows scopes you have that option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
I know a couple guys that shoot one or the other Buckstalker, they shoot just as good as any other muzzy. I looked at them before getting the Strikerfire and the only reason I went Strikerfire is I didn't want to have to fight the scope and hammer.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I would recommend getting the knight ultra light in either the Colorado version and buy the kit to make it what they call western legal or just buy the western legal version. The reason I say buy the Colorado version is next year we will be able to use 209 primers in Oregon and it comes drilled for a scope so if ya go to another state that allows scopes you have that option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This looks like a good gun but so expensive for my needs. I'm wondering if it's that much better than some of the muzzleloaders that CVA and Tranditions offer.

This looks like a good gun but so expensive for my needs. I'm wondering if it's that much better than some of the muzzleloaders that CVA and Tranditions offer.

If you do not want to make that investment in Ultra Lite - the Knight DISC Extreme is an excellent sub. They can be had for $500+ right now from Knight...

DISC Extreme Muzzleloader

And in my opinion they are that are a better investment than CVA and certainly Traditions...

And maybe an even better place might muzzle-loaders.com

Knight(R) Disc Extreme™ | .50 Cal Western | Muzzle-Loaders.com

I think for this year in Oregon you are going to need a Western Legal ML using cap ignition. The rumors is that will change next year and you will be able to use primers. The rifle can easily be converted from cap to 209 primer.

One other thought... if you are a vet or now serving or if you are a First Responder call Knight you get a healthy discount! I think that program is still active.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
If you do not want to make that investment in Ultra Lite - the Knight DISC Extreme is an excellent sub. They can be had for $500+ right now from Knight...

DISC Extreme Muzzleloader

And in my opinion they are that are a better investment than CVA and certainly Traditions...

And maybe an even better place might muzzle-loaders.com

Knight(R) Disc Extreme™ | .50 Cal Western | Muzzle-Loaders.com

I think for this year in Oregon you are going to need a Western Legal ML using cap ignition. The rumors is that will change next year and you will be able to use primers. The rifle can easily be converted from cap to 209 primer.

One other thought... if you are a vet or now serving or if you are a First Responder call Knight you get a healthy discount! I think that program is still active.

Thanks for the recommendations. Why do you say that Knight is so much better than CVA or Traditions?

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Been searching the regs what hunt are you doing The reg you posted is for 600 series ,,The regs say that is a antlerless elk .. You might not have your nuts in a vise like me...

PG 35 MUZZLELOADER controlled hunt 100 series Is different IF this is your hunt buy Knight Ultra Lite ,you wont be sorry ,Tradtions ok stay away from the no fire strike fire ,Guy over 4 times setup on elk no fire strike fire I would make a fence post out of it ,,CVA good but heavy ,,
You can use all the newer stuff sabots 209 powder copper plated lead base bullets , Scopes ,,,

Last edited:
OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Been searching the regs what hunt are you doing The reg you posted is for 600 series ,,The regs say that is a antlerless elk .. You might not have your nuts in a vise like me...

It says muzzleloader only AND 600 series. I drew a muzzleloader only tag.

Thanks for the recommendations. Why do you say that Knight is so much better than CVA or Traditions?

Basically because I believe the rifle is more versatile than the either the CVA or Traditions in the things that it can do and the loads and projectiles it can shoot. One other thought, are you a rifle hunter? if so how many break open rifles do you have? I am old so I am just not a fan of a break open - except in a shot gun where you get to shoot a large pattern of BB's.

But, I need to also say I have never owned a new CVA or Traditions product. I have handled them in the stores and I really do prefer the fit of the Knight - especially the thumbhole stocks - can not believe I am saying that - because for years I would have never thought I could hunt with a thumbhole - today things have changed.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR

PG 35 MUZZLELOADER controlled hunt 100 series Is different IF this is your hunt buy Knight Ultra Lite ,you wont be sorry ,Tradtions ok stay away from the no fire strike fire ,Guy over 4 times setup on elk no fire strike fire I would make a fence post out of it ,,CVA good but heavy ,,
You can use all the newer stuff sabots 209 powder copper plated lead base bullets , Scopes ,,,

What do you mean by "no fire strike fire"?

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Do a YOUTUBE search about the traditions strike fire not firing when trigger is pulled ,, Call ODFW for info about Muzzleloader hunting deer . I read it one way your read it another . They can clear it up ,,If I'm right you win all lead verves sabot big difference 209 primers and powder cleaner than Triple Seven 3f ,, I haver owned 3 different ML'ER , Traditions , CVA, KNIGHT has been the best , costs more but worth it bought mine at sportsmanwarehouse .
Muzzle Loaders.com(R) Official Website I really like great guys fast ship ,

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Do a YOUTUBE search about the traditions strike fire not firing when trigger is pulled ,, Call ODFW for info about Muzzleloader hunting deer . I read it one way your read it another . They can clear it up ,,If I'm right you win all lead verves sabot big difference 209 primers and powder cleaner than Triple Seven 3f ,, I haver owned 3 different ML'ER , Traditions , CVA, KNIGHT has been the best , costs more but worth it bought mine at sportsmanwarehouse .
Muzzle Loaders.com(R) Official Website I really like great guys fast ship ,

Is it just the Traditions Strikefire? Or are all the Traditions models bad?