Loaded muzzle loader for multiple days

Ucsdryder

WKR
My dad hunted on a muzzle loader tag this year. We dumped the powder at the end of every day and fired a primer through it reloaded each morning. The barrel was then taped. Is this overboard?

muddydogs

WKR
I hunt a 9 day muzzy season with the same load in the rifle unless we get a lot of rain or snow then I might swap out the load a couple times. If I'm hunting out of the camper I leave the muzzy in the pickup overnight so I'm not subjecting it to fast extreme temperature changes.

I also don't fire a primer through the rifle before loading as my rifle is sighted in for a cold clean bore so I keep it that way, there really is no need to fire a primer if the rifle is cleaned well and all the oil is wiped out well before loading. I double and triple check my flash hole and flash channel before screwing in the breech plug the final time before loading. Once loaded if it's going to be wet I run a very very lightly oiled patch down the bore to the bullet just for a little bore protection before covering the muzzle.

bowhnt

Lil-Rokslider
I generally load mine november 15th for the Michigan gun opener and generally don’t unload it until Jan 1. Most everyone I know does the same. Keep it in the truck all season or at least the garage to not cause moisture buildup with temp change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LandYacht

WKR
If you use Blackhorn 209 you need to unload every day. I learned the hard way this morning, which is the second time in two years the hard way has reared its head. It can’t just be a coincidence.......

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Thanks guys. That’s what I figured but when it needed to go boom, it did!

LandYacht

WKR
You guys are luckier than me I guess. Have had two misfires two years in a row with my gun being loaded more than a day. Seems like the only time it goes boom is if I load it that day.

We had two misfires in camp last week with guns left loaded a few days. I, personally, reload every single morning. After those two misfires, everyone else did also.

Also using Blackhorn.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
The last 2 scenarios are why I reloaded daily. As hard as we worked, I can’t imagine it not going boom!

My opinion is that if it misfired there was a reason and that reason is most likely moisture. If you load your gun and it is dry the entire hunt then a misfire on day 5 would have happened on day 1. I have gone a week or more from season opening to season close. I have always just shot my gun at the end and it has always gone off. If I suspected any moisture got in the chamber I would reload. That said the last 2 years in CO it has rained and I experienced heavy condensation in my tent. My gun still fired at the end of the season.

My opinion is that if it misfired there was a reason and that reason is most likely moisture. If you load your gun and it is dry the entire hunt then a misfire on day 5 would have happened on day 1. I have gone a week or more from season opening to season close. I have always just shot my gun at the end and it has always gone off. If I suspected any moisture got in the chamber I would reload. That said the last 2 years in CO it has rained and I experienced heavy condensation in my tent. My gun still fired at the end of the season.

Biggest thing I preached was why not? Takes 3 minutes. I had a LOT on the line to have $.04 in powder or primer fail me

blkqi

WKR
I also leave it loaded all season, but I hunt relatively dry areas. If you hunt in a humid area, pay attention to condensation, especially as rifle changes temp, in and out of truck, etc. If there was any doubt about it, I would reload it.

Never had a misfire, except for primer.

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Biggest thing I preached was why not? Takes 3 minutes. I had a LOT on the line to have $.04 in powder or primer fail me

The only reason I don’t fire it is because I don’t like any unnecessary shots fired in the season I am hunting. Only reason. Yes it could be argued it is not unnecessary but this is my opinion.
Sometimes I will drive to a nonhuntable piece of terrain every 3 4 days and fire it.

mparks270

Lil-Rokslider
I generally load mine november 15th for the Michigan gun opener and generally don’t unload it until Jan 1. Most everyone I know does the same. Keep it in the truck all season or at least the garage to not cause moisture buildup with temp change.

Same here.

I'd be interested in the type of muzzleloader, projectile, and primer before trying to diagnose the cause of the misfires. My mis-fires and hang fires have been caused by either a loose fitting projectile or fouled flame channel.

LandYacht

WKR
Same here.

I'd be interested in the type of muzzleloader, projectile, and primer before trying to diagnose the cause of the misfires. My mis-fires and hang fires have been caused by either a loose fitting projectile or fouled flame channel.

In my case I’ve been using Hornady 350 grain FPBs, Blackhorn 209, and Remington 209 primers.

I’ve made sure everything is still where it should be at the start of a stalk, using my rod to push down anything that could be loose. Two years in a row I’ve had nothing go bang when my gun has been loaded longer than a day. I figured the first year was a fluke and tried it again, and got the same result.

Clean gun all the way from breech plug to muzzle crown. I’ve decided it’s just not worth it after having two elk run off to live another year.

This is the only place that I’ve seen people having success with BH209 loaded more than a day. Talked to people here and there and their results have been the same as mine. Would love for this to work without having to unload everyday day or wait to load until I see an elk that I can get a stalk on.