CVA Wolf wont group

CorbLand

WKR
I cant get my CVA Wolf to pattern to save my life. At 50 yards its a two inch group all day long. At 100 yards, yea, it shoots all over the place.

I am shooting
CVA Wolf
100 grains Triple Seven
300 grain SST
CCI primer

I have tried a couple other bullets and the SST have done the best. I am going to try some powerbelts sometime this week. Any other suggestions?

amp713

WKR
Man my wolf shot great. 150 powder pellets, 245 aero tip powerbelts and cci primer. It was neglected a bit so I dont know how well she shoots now but for a few years it was money!! Got it a while back though so cant promise something hasnt changed with the way they build them

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
Man my wolf shot great. 150 powder pellets, 245 aero tip powerbelts and cci primer. It was neglected a bit so I dont know how well she shoots now but for a few years it was money!! Got it a while back though so cant promise something hasnt changed with the way they build them

I got it for $8.75 3 years ago when I burned a bunch of Cabelas points. Everyone I talked to said the same thing. All of theirs shot great. I dont know whats going on. Its got a Nikon Prostaff 7, so a decent scope too. I am at a loss.

I cant get my CVA Wolf to pattern to save my life. At 50 yards its a two inch group all day long. At 100 yards, yea, it shoots all over the place.

I am shooting
CVA Wolf
100 grains Triple Seven
300 grain SST
CCI primer

I have tried a couple other bullets and the SST have done the best. I am going to try some powerbelts sometime this week. Any other suggestions?

Totally guessing here... but in reality a 2" group @ 50 is really not that great, and then when you double that @ 100 you are looking at a 4" group minimum. Add in other factors and the group can really balloon!

The first thing I might check is the scope bases... did you install them and if you did - did you use blue loc-tite to hold the screws after tightening. Next check the screws in the ring and make sure they are tight. Finally - there is a possibility the scope itself could be bad - probably not but 'could be'

Do you have another scope you could put on and try? I would guess your Wolf did not come with open sights. If it did I would try shooting it with the open sights to verify yes or no - the rifle will shoot.

Just some quick thoughts of the top of the head....

Riles1050

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up one for my dedicated open sight Colorado muzzle loader. I shoot 100 grains by volume of Blackhorn 209 with 300 grain aerolite power belts and it groups pretty well.

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
Totally guessing here... but in reality a 2" group @ 50 is really not that great, and then when you double that @ 100 you are looking at a 4" group minimum. Add in other factors and the group can really balloon!

The first thing I might check is the scope bases... did you install them and if you did - did you use blue loc-tite to hold the screws after tightening. Next check the screws in the ring and make sure they are tight. Finally - there is a possibility the scope itself could be bad - probably not but 'could be'

Do you have another scope you could put on and try? I would guess your Wolf did not come with open sights. If it did I would try shooting it with the open sights to verify yes or no - the rifle will shoot.

Just some quick thoughts of the top of the head....

I am going to double check the torque on the screws but everything seems to be tight on the scope. It didn't come with open sights and I don't have another scope to put on it to try.

I am going to double check the torque on the screws but everything seems to be tight on the scope. It didn't come with open sights and I don't have another scope to put on it to try.

It is the bases that I am more concerned about or possibly the rings if they are the type that can be removed from the bases.

Most of todays modern muzzleloaders will shoot most any load accurately - so I am really less concerned about what you might be shooting.... UNLESS the projectile/sabot is loading to easily which seems unlikely because the CVA's are noted for tight bores. I am even a little bit surprised that the sabots that come with the SST's are not really tight going down.

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
It is the bases that I am more concerned about or possibly the rings if they are the type that can be removed from the bases.

Most of todays modern muzzleloaders will shoot most any load accurately - so I am really less concerned about what you might be shooting.... UNLESS the projectile/sabot is loading to easily which seems unlikely because the CVA's are noted for tight bores. I am even a little bit surprised that the sabots that come with the SST's are not really tight going down.

I have never dealt with muzzleloaders until this year so I have no frame of reference but I wouldn't say the SST go down easy. They take some muscle to get the down.

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
Most of the reasearch I have done has most people Wolf liking 250 grain projectiles. I have a deer tag this year and I know that 250 will do it for a deer. The problem I have is I also have a cow elk tag that I can shoot with my muzzleloader and have a good chance at drawing a bull tag for a muzzleloader next year. I dont want to switch it up if I dont have too but would 250 grain projectiles be good enough for elk?

Most of the reasearch I have done has most people Wolf liking 250 grain projectiles. I have a deer tag this year and I know that 250 will do it for a deer. The problem I have is I also have a cow elk tag that I can shoot with my muzzleloader and have a good chance at drawing a bull tag for a muzzleloader next year. I dont want to switch it up if I dont have too but would 250 grain projectiles be good enough for elk?

I would highly suggest this bullet from Lehigh Defense. It is an excellent bullet for both deer and elk..

265_Misc_Pics.jpg

If you order from Lehigh or Midway you will be getting only the bullet allowing you to purchase a sabot that will fit your rifle best. Probably a MMP HPH-24 would work well but if that is to tight then you will need a MMP HPH-3P-EZ load sabot.

Follow this link...

.452 Controlled Fracturing(R) Muzzleloader 265gr Bullet – Lehigh Defense, LLC

Here is some additional information

265_-16-10-6_Tgt_Composite.jpg

265_LD_.452x265_CF.jpg

265_Bird_Setup.jpg

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
I dont have the time to order another brand of projectiles for this year. My hunt starts next week.

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
Well 295 grain powerbelts it is. Still not grouping good at all but if the deer is within a hundred yards its dead. I will make it through this hunt, I think I am going to send this scope back and start over for next year.

2blade

WKR
My buddies shoots great with the blue Barnes T-EZ sabot. I bet a black Harvester crushed rib sabot word work with that bullet as well.

My Wolf wouldn't shoot PowerBelts worth a flip no matter the weight, were talking a 13" group at 100 yards....if you can call that a group. I switched to 250gr TC Shockwaves and those groups shrunk to less than an inch at 100 yards.

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
Tried some 245 gr. powerbelts and it still not great. Its shooting about 8 inch groups at 100 still.

coues32

WKR
I had an issue with the CVA Accura tried two different scorpion gold bullets different sabots and also a few other different bullets could not group. Try 250 grain Barnes TMZ's and bullets were touching haven't looked any farther. Shooting Blackhorn 209 CCI primers