Recommend me a muzzle loader

Dunndm

WKR
As the tittle says I know nothing at all about them but I'm looking into getting one cause the tag I usually draw is for Archery/muzzle loader and I wanna try one.

I'll be using it for Mulies and maybe bear.

Side question: how accurate/powerful are they good for? I know it's up to the shooter but just a general question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Battleguy

Banned
I like my savage ml 10, t/c makes a wide choice. I personally have the savage ranked # 1 for me, a t/c renegade side lock in 54 good gun, and a cva 150 magnum. I will probably never spend money on another cva, i dislike it that much. one other thing to keep in mind, you generally get what you pay for.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Depends on state. Different rules. I got a cva accura 2 with the bergera barrel. Trigger is awesome, the fiber optics are awesome. I love the high cheek pad. All in a reasonably priced package.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Depends on state. Different rules. I got a cva accura 2 with the bergera barrel. Trigger is awesome, the fiber optics are awesome. I love the high cheek pad. All in a reasonably priced package.

I'm in CA, guess I should look into the rules and regs or go to one of the 3 guns stores in the state to ask the guys about the rules.

netman

WKR
I bought a Accura just for out west hunting. Shoots really good. Fits good too. I’m shooting a 300 grain Thor pushed by 73 grains(weighed) of BH209.
Now the bad....the sights on this gun is horrible.
While hunting I noticed that the rear sight had slid back to where it came from the factory before I sighted it in. Fortunately I had marked the sight upon getting it dialed in. I was able to push it to the mark and finish my hunt.
Then one day I rode my four wheeler to the gate where foot traffic only begins. I opened the case and my rear sight was separated from the barrel.
I had to ride back to camp and russel the tiny Allen wrench up and tighten it back up.
The front sight has movement but due to the tiny Allen head it’s impossible to get a good tight turn on the screw.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I bought a Accura just for out west hunting. Shoots really good. Fits good too. I’m shooting a 300 grain Thor pushed by 73 grains(weighed) of BH209.
Now the bad....the sights on this gun is horrible.
While hunting I noticed that the rear sight had slid back to where it came from the factory before I sighted it in. Fortunately I had marked the sight upon getting it dialed in. I was able to push it to the mark and finish my hunt.
Then one day I rode my four wheeler to the gate where foot traffic only begins. I opened the case and my rear sight was separated from the barrel.
I had to ride back to camp and russel the tiny Allen wrench up and tighten it back up.
The front sight has movement but due to the tiny Allen head it’s impossible to get a good tight turn on the screw.

I need to learn about grain weight and shot weight cause I'm coming from archery, know nothing at all about these guns just am interested in trying one.
Can you not use a scope when hunting with them? Gotta use the fixed sight that comes factory?

2blade

WKR
I need to learn about grain weight and shot weight cause I'm coming from archery, know nothing at all about these guns just am interested in trying one.
Can you not use a scope when hunting with them? Gotta use the fixed sight that comes factory?

all depends upon the laws in the state, some allows scopes, some don't.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
Lyman Great Plains Hunter or Rifle are very good traditional style. Knight and several others make good inlines.
Depending on your states rules and what you want you’ll need to consider rifle type, twist rate, ect...

150 is about the effective range for elk and deer. Launch speeds with 350 grain bullets are around 1700 FPS. Energy and trajectory go south fast out past 150.
Many folks can’t do much beyond 80 or 90 with open sights.

I have two Knight Big Horns with thumb hole stocks. The thing is lights out with TMZ 250’s and 777 pellets for deer. For me this set up works great for mule deer in Eastern, WA. I like the pellets because where I hunt can get really windy and the pellets make for easy reloading in a hurry. I purchased a second to have set up for elk when I’m not archery hunting. My hunting partner had a CVA but had quite a bit of problems with it but others may swear by them. My other buddy had good results with his Traditions Vortek. Chesapeake is right about effective ranges, here in Wa state we can’t use scopes and I refer to my muzzleloader as a magnum compound bow :) I have taken a deer out to 175 yards but that was a very specific set of events and I really try to get in close under a 100 yards. Closest was crawling in to 30 yards in then wishing I had my bow. You are gonna have fun. Next to archery, muzzleloading is a hoot.

bonehunts

FNG
I've used a TC Pro Hunter Stainless set-up that was lights out on my KS muley hunt. I'd have to see if it's still got a scope on it or if it's open sights.
Either way, probably willing to let it go. Send me a PM if interested.

I bought a stainless CVA Optima for an elk hunt 2 years ago. No issues and great trigger. Having said that, I enjoy using my in-line, percussion cap Ruger 77/50 more. It all really depends on what you want out of your ML. You can very easily spend a whole lot more and not get a lot more performance IMO.