Knight Mountaineer help

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
So I got a .50 cal Mountaineer muzzy and having a hard time shooting consistently. Using 70 gr of 777 and no excuses 460 gr bullets. Past 50 yards they are all over the place....HELP me,,,,,,,What setups are u guys using?

Beararms

Lil-Rokslider
Blackhorn 209, 265g lehigh defence, MMP 24 in a Knight Ultra lite and also in a Knight Vision. All shots in a 2 inch circle at 100 yards.

Karl86

FNG
So I got a .50 cal Mountaineer muzzy and having a hard time shooting consistently. Using 70 gr of 777 and no excuses 460 gr bullets. Past 50 yards they are all over the place....HELP me,,,,,,,What setups are u guys using?
I cannot say i have any experience with that particular setup, but the 1st thing that came to my mind was your powder charge seems a little light. All of my muzzies tend to shoot best starting about 80/85 grains up to about 120 ish.
But like i said, no experience with the Mountaineer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
250gr bullet and 120 gr powder, in my old junky Knight and I’m about 2” at 100 yards. You have a heavy bullet with not much powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
With 70 grains triple seven I would use a 250 grain bullet and that is still a light charge in my opinion.

I hope you guys are reading that he is shooting a 460 grain lead conical.

I shoot the same load here in Idaho for a our ML season (Idaho is still in the dark ages - we are required to shoot full bore lead). The 460 is a real thumper. Most people will shoot that bullet with around 70 grains of powder. I found in my testing that I could get the best accuracy with 90 grains of T7. Which by most standards is creating to much velocity in the bore which could create a heavier does of leading.

robAK this info might help some.... shooting T7 can be somewhat of a problem with a pure lead bullet. T7 burns at such a high temperature it can actually melt the bottom of the bullet. I would suggest if you are not shooting some form of a wad under the bullet and on top of the powder you might try that and see if that might help you accuracy.

Again - I found that shooting 90 grains of T7 with a Shot Card under the bullet worked very well in my 1-28 twist GM LRH barrel (basically the same barrel as your Mountaineer. The shot card I use is a 1/8" x .510 Dia. Make sure you wipe the bottom of the bullet clear of bullet lube before loading on to the shot card. Other use a fiber wad with success also. I prefer the shot card as I believe it offers more bullet protection.

Shot_Card-_Sub_Bridge.jpg

This is the bullet I use but it comes from Bull Shop - same as yours except that Bullshop Dan will size it to your request to fit your bore.

460grBullShop.jpg

This is a target from my sight in trip

DHawken.jpg

This is copy of the ballistic sheet for the 460 with 90 grains... Do not know if this will help you any

90460-MTNEx.jpg

Notice the velocity... 1500fps is really rushing that bullet up the barrel. Most old timers would suggest 1200fps being the best.

hope some of this is some form of help

mike

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
Sabotloader, can you explain why you feel the charge for a 465gr lead conical should be lower? I shot the 465gr no excuses out of my ultralight with 90gr and 100gr of bh209, the 100gr charge was super accurate sub 1” at 100. I do use a wad between the charge and bullet. Recoil wasn’t horrible and accuracy was great but are you saying I may have been melting the bullet?

Just trying to learn as you know way more then I do about these. Is there a diff between what the older timers used vs modern equipment or does that not really matter due to the limits of lead.

Sabotloader, can you explain why you feel the charge for a 465gr lead conical should be lower? I shot the 465gr no excuses out of my ultralight with 90gr and 100gr of bh209, the 100gr charge was super accurate sub 1” at 100. I do use a wad between the charge and bullet. Recoil wasn’t horrible and accuracy was great but are you saying I may have been melting the bullet?

I think you might want to visit Western Powders and look up the recommended loads for various weight bullets. I can not shoot BH here in Idaho so I have never looked for that information. I do know that Western has set load limits as BH is a progressive burning smokeless powder (with potassium and Sulphur added to qualify as a BP sub. The heavier the bullet the more pressure spike.

Next shooting that charge of BH with the temperature that BH burns at and without a wad of some sort I would guess you are melting the bottom of bullet. Which could possibly be leaving melted lead up and down your bore.

Soft lead bullets can also blow themselves up if shot with a velocity greater than they were designed for, especially if the bullet were to contact a major bone in the body. Might be worth and email to Dave at No Excuse to ask about the velocity range of his No Excuse bullet. Because of this problem modern lead bullets come wrapped in copper.

If the soft lead bullet is traveling up the bore to fast, again the by-product, would be undo leading occurring - another reason that modern bullets come wrapped in copper...

Just trying to learn as you know way more then I do about these. Is there a diff between what the older timers used vs modern equipment or does that not really matter due to the limits of lead.

I believe you are really close when you suggest the limitations of a soft lead conicals - because there are limitations.

Last edited: