Iron sights

blackdog of vt

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't hunted with optics in about 15 years. I build my flintlocks so that's my main rifle but I enjoy deer hunting with my Sharps rifles too. Killed several deer and bear with both. Just something about doing it simple that I really enjoy. I don't foresee going back to optics anytime soon. My Sharps rifles use marbles tang sights and my flintlock rifles I make peeps like those seen in the mid 1700's. The farthest I've shot a deer with the muzzleloader was about 140 yards. This bear was less than 20.

Attachments

• bearf1.jpg
    bearf1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 17
  • bear1.jpg
    bear1.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
OP

67bronco

FNG
I haven't hunted with optics in about 15 years. I build my flintlocks so that's my main rifle but I enjoy deer hunting with my Sharps rifles too. Killed several deer and bear with both. Just something about doing it simple that I really enjoy. I don't foresee going back to optics anytime soon. My Sharps rifles use marbles tang sights and my flintlock rifles I make peeps like those seen in the mid 1700's. The farthest I've shot a deer with the muzzleloader was about 140 yards. This bear was less than 20.
View attachment 79708
View attachment 79709

I really wanted to take my sharps on my elk hunt in dec but its a ML tag. Ive been shooting the sharps with barrel sights and 405gr hard cast over 3031 at about 1300fps. Ive rung the 10" gong at 300 but I can hold em pretty tight at 100. My knight that I'm taking on the hunt has a 3-9x40 leupold on it and I swear I can shoot my old sidelocks better with irons. My plan is to put a Williams peep on the MK with target knobs. Sight in 3" high at 100, mark the sight and then do the same for 150 and 200. Then I can range it and adjust on the fly. I'm planning to use the 460gr no excuses. Just got some this weekend. Shot a few yest and they shoot well at 70 or so yards. I get this one under my belt id really like to build a 58cal round ball sidelock. Older I get the less I like modern stuff. I own one bolt hunting rifle now. A model 70 375 H&H for if I ever make it to Africa. My sharps or one of my leverguns go with me on almost all hunts.

blackdog of vt

Lil-Rokslider
That's 45-70? I did shoot deer with my 45-70 sharps and then had a 38-55 built and that's much more fun to carry. I use 5744 in both. I only use round ball in all mine 50,54,58 and this last one 62. I do hunt and trek in 18th century kit and its really funny coming across someone else. The first glance of "what the hell" is awesome. I think you are spot on about shooting opens better. When I teach people for the first time on flintlocks they are always amazed how instinctive the shooting is. I firmly believe optics makes us more precise but overall makes us worse shooters. Shooting off a bench optics should always win but I've never shot an animal off one. Off hand their isn't as much difference as people and industry wants us to believe.

OP

67bronco

FNG
That's 45-70? I did shoot deer with my 45-70 sharps and then had a 38-55 built and that's much more fun to carry. I use 5744 in both. I only use round ball in all mine 50,54,58 and this last one 62. I do hunt and trek in 18th century kit and its really funny coming across someone else. The first glance of "what the hell" is awesome. I think you are spot on about shooting opens better. When I teach people for the first time on flintlocks they are always amazed how instinctive the shooting is. I firmly believe optics makes us more precise but overall makes us worse shooters. Shooting off a bench optics should always win but I've never shot an animal off one. Off hand their isn't as much difference as people and industry wants us to believe.
Yest my sharps is a 45/70. I have a pedersoli silhouette model. Hope one day I can get a Shiloh. Honestly I think in field positions I get myself worked up with the scope movement but with irons I seem to concentrate more on that front sight and thus shoot better. I bet you do get some looks in period wear. That's awesome though. I do things kinda against everyone else as well. Don't kill as much either but when I do it means more to me anyway and that's what matters.

WKR
Just used my Hawken to shoot a doe antelope at 95 yards. I feel like I could extend that to 125 yards if I shot it a bit more. After that I think the velocity drops enough that I don't care to shoot farther. So the fixed rear and silver front blade seem to hold tight enough to get the most from the 54 cal roundball.

chindits

WKR
Peep and post, bull 163 m prone off my pack then the following year missed a Muley at 116 m kneeling and leaning around a big boulder.

OP

67bronco

FNG
Shot a fat doe tonight with the knight at 96 yards with williams peep and firesight front. 460gr no excuse over 90gr black mz. Wanted to see what it would do to a deer before i took it to shoot a cow in dec. zipped right through lung shot. Went 30 yards. Sighted it in 4” high at 100. Put bead at front leg and chest junction. Perfect through lungs. No doubt it will be good for elk

OFFHNTN

WKR
Williams peep and factory front post for me. Farthest kill is 175 yards on a whitetail buck.