Essential equipment for new shooter

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interested in everyone's thoughts on what tools/equipment are necessary/helpful for someone with zero experience with muzzleloaders.
I have a knight ultra lite I'll be taking on a sheep hunt next week it's shooting very well but not sure what I need to take with me 100% of the time, what needs to be available at camp/truck. Thanks for any insight.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Interested in everyone's thoughts on what tools/equipment are necessary/helpful for someone with zero experience with muzzleloaders.
I have a knight ultra lite I'll be taking on a sheep hunt next week it's shooting very well but not sure what I need to take with me 100% of the time, what needs to be available at camp/truck. Thanks for any insight.

Follow these links they really provide some great information...

A Guide for the New Muzzleloader Shooter - Modern Muzzleloader

What do I need to shoot my rifle? - Modern Muzzleloader

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like I have the basics covered are there things that aren't essential but nice to have handy? I can see muzzleloading can get addictive quickly.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've only muzzy hunted a couple times in good weather, I just load up some tubes with a bullet, the powder charge and a couple primers (a spare in each). I grab a handful of those and baggie with some patches. Between those and the rod on the gun I can patch out the gun if needed and reload it, not really much more is needed along with me on the day to day hunt, esp. in good weather. Back in the truck I have the powder measure, full cleaning supplies (which isn't much using blackhorn 209 which is compatible with regular solvent), extra bullets/powder/primers, etc.

WKR
I used to take 4 of the speed loaders and using a vacuum sealer, I'd pack them in that. It assured me that I would have dry loads regardless of what the weather did. My other speed loaders were just loose in a pocket. Good luck on your sheep hunt, that is very exciting.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's the best way to carry extra primers? I currently have three extra loads in my stock pouch but not sure how to carry the primers or how many extra I should take. 4 or 5 I'd think was plenty but not sure. Should I tape my barrel if hunting in weather?

elkduds

WKR
Agree w the above. In my front pocket is a loaded fast loader, primer dispenser, Ziploc bag w ammonia patches (still shooting 777). In my pack are other quick loaders. My ramrod has a cleaning/loading jag on the end, and a palm saver that threads onto the jag, snug under the barrel. Unscrewed, that plastic palm saver is a good bullet starter, before using the ramrod. @ camp is a plastic tub w more bullets, powder jar, powder measure, sight adjusting tools, cleaning supplies, primers, another cleaning jag that matches my ramrod. I used to have a patch grabber, now my breechplug unscrews easily. I put electrical tape over the muzzle once it is loaded, to keep moisture out. A rangefinder is useful.