Traditions Pursuit G4 Ramrod

Benjblt

WKR
I just bought the Traditions Pursuit G4. It's a great gun but I shot it for the first time 2 days ago and realized that the ramrod it comes with has an annoying design due to the amount of storage length the rifle allows. Basically the long and short of it is that if you are going to load the gun with the ramrod you have to take it out and un-thread the end piece that is about 4" long that has female threading on both ends. You then flip it so that the loading jag is on the end (it starts out with the loading jag not at the end) and re-thread what used to be the end of the ramrod back onto the ramrod. The ramrod now has the loading jag on the end and is about 3" or so longer.

Sorry if this was confusing but go to this link to see a good picture of what I'm talking about Replacement Ramrod For Pursuit™ Rifles With 26" Barrel A1791 | TraditionsFirearms.com

The issue is how am I going to shoot at a deer and then pull the ramrod out to load it again and have to un-thread and then re-thread it to use it. If I leave it threaded it will stick out past the barrel and I can't do that. Any suggestions on how to deal with this situation? I don't want to keep it threaded and off the gun. Very poor design if you ask me.

Twodux

FNG
I bought a Pursuit last year and I'm having the same issue. I have decided these guns/ramrods weren't designed for serious hunters. They were designed for someone sitting in a blind in a field where you can put the rod together and lean it in a corner between shots.

Note also that the handle is loose on the ramrod when in the storage position. If you are in a serious hunting situation, ie still hunting or making a drive, or even spot and stalking, if you get a shot and try for a fast follow up shot, it would be very easy to pull the ramrod out and drop the handle and lose it in the snow or in heavy brush. This is a serious flaw in an otherwise nice gun.

BRoth82

WKR
I have the same gun I bought 2 years ago, here's what I ended up doing with mine. I bought a CVA palm saver ram rod and use that, I unscrew the brass end and when I need to reload I thread it on and go. I hated the Tee handle that slides onto the ramrod. Now I use the original ramrod as a cleaning ramrod.

BRoth82

WKR
On a side note have you guys tried Blackhorn 209 powder yet? I'm thinking about trying it out next year.

Twodux

FNG
I have the same gun I bought 2 years ago, here's what I ended up doing with mine. I bought a CVA palm saver ram rod and use that, I unscrew the brass end and when I need to reload I thread it on and go. I hated the Tee handle that slides onto the ramrod. Now I use the original ramrod as a cleaning ramrod.
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to check into the CVA palm saver ramrod.

Grundy53

WKR
I have the same gun. The ramrod is definitely the most annoying part. I love the gun other than that. I did try shooting it with it put together and sticking past the muzzle. It didn't affect the accuracy. However after shooting at a bull, in my excited reload I ended up bending it where it attaches. The really narrow part. I was able to straighten it out but it's a poor design.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Grundy53

WKR
On a side note have you guys tried Blackhorn 209 powder yet? I'm thinking about trying it out next year.
Yes, it's fantastic. If anything for the cleaning alone. So much nicer doesn't corrode like traditional black powder substitute and I can get more shots in between cleanings.

BRoth82

WKR
Thanks Grundy53, it's true the ramrod that comes with that gun is garbage to say the least. Try out the CVA palm saver ramrod it fits the gun perfectly.

Grundy53

WKR
Thanks Grundy53, it's true the ramrod that comes with that gun is garbage to say the least. Try out the CVA palm saver ramrod it fits the gun perfectly.
I'll try it for sure. Anything's got to be better than what comes with it.

muddydogs

WKR
Looks like the same crappy rod that came on my Traditions Striker Fire. I purchased the Thompson Center Universal ramrod and cut it so it comes right to the end of the barrel. When I load I have about one finders width of room left between the barrel and end of rod but its enough to get the rifle loaded. I also have another one of these rods that I left full length as a range and cleaning rod. I carry the TC T-handle short starter in my pack in case I need to swab the barrel or push a charge out as the T-handle will screw into the universal rod making it long enough to do something with.

Eric Bailey

Lil-Rokslider
It's great powder. Easy to clean and energetic. I'd recommend opening up the flash channel in the breach plug a little if you're using BH209. Before doing that I had ignition problems with my G4 ultralight. The gun is so light, it kicks like a mofo with anything more than 100 grains of BH209. Tough to shoot at the range but worked for me on a bull last sept.