Arizona to Idaho ML Recommendation

69ChrisCraft

Lil-Rokslider
My brother and I are both headed to Arizona for a ML hunt and I need to purchase another muzzleloader. I currently have a scoped Knight Ultralight which I flipping love and may very well both use to shoot our deer if that’s how the hunt turns out. My thought was for this other ML to be open sights (even though AZ allows scoped) and easily converted to an ID legal gun if we ever hunt Idaho. This way we both always have a gun at the ready even though the Knight will be the primary weapon.

My thoughts were the CVA Accura or the T/C Encore/Pro Hunter. I’m certainly all ears to any less expensive options but I’d like an accurate and reliable gun with good sights out of the box.

Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

67bronco

FNG
Knight has the wolverines and disc extremes on sale. Puck one of them up and get it with no11 and irons. I shoot irons and no11 with my old mk85. I had a encore ml and honestly i didnt like it. The optimas and accuras get good reviews though

My brother and I are both headed to Arizona for a ML hunt and I need to purchase another muzzleloader.

What are the ML requirements for Arizona? That would be my first question.

I currently have a scoped Knight Ultralight which I flipping love and may very well both use to shoot our deer if that’s how the hunt turns out. My thought was for this other ML to be open sights (even though AZ allows scoped) and easily converted to an ID legal gun if we ever hunt Idaho. This way we both always have a gun at the ready even though the Knight will be the primary weapon.

OK - never mind you explained it. The Ulite can easily be setup for Idaho ML hunting also.

This is my ULite scoped for rifle hunting...

Conv-Composite.jpg

Same rifle setup for Idaho ML hunting

IMG-2236.jpg

I just take the scope off and mount a NECG (Weaver style) Peep with a Williams front sight combination.

My thoughts were the CVA Accura or the T/C Encore/Pro Hunter. I’m certainly all ears to any less expensive options but I’d like an accurate and reliable gun with good sights out of the box.

Thanks for any input.

BUT!!!! as already mentioned Knight has sale going on right now on the Knight DISC Extreme which really is good rifle!!! $499.00 till Jan 1.

This is mine set for Idaho ML season

Western-DISC-Extreme.jpg

Williams FP peep and the same Williams ramp sight combination of the front

Williams-FP-Peep.jpg

Williams-Front-Sight.jpg

And it works!!!

LP-Shoot.jpg

Call Knight and see if you can get ahold of Justin - see if he can set you up with the DISC

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
I have an Encore, I really like it and it shoots great, however outside having a gunsmith do some modifications to the breech plug and firing pin I don’t know of a way to make it Idaho legal. There is also the issue of some Encores not being known to shoot full bore conicals well.

I’m looking at picking up a knight for th reasons stated above. I will keep the encore as well for areas where it’s legal, because it shoots well and it’s nice to clean and fits well.

67bronco

FNG
People talk about knights being hard to clean but i find them easier than an encore. One allen wrench and breech plug wrench or socket is all. Having to take out breech face on encore is aggravating or maybe im just anal. Mine did shoot well though but nowhere near as accurate as my knight. Trigger is 100x better on knight too.

OP

69ChrisCraft

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you to all for the replies! Sounds like the consensus is that I should stick with Knight. I do need to get my current Ultralight modified with shims so that the primers quit sticking so bad. I never thought too much of it until I read that a guide broke the handle on his bolt!

Thanks again fellas....I was hoping Sabotloader would respond....I’ve read dozens of your posts and videos over the years and you know your stuff (I also knew you’d suggest a Knight) ;).

I like my cva accura.. It is also convertable with different breech plugs from 209 to musket caps for oregon/idaho/washington legal. I put a rail on mine with a peep sight made by eabco. so I could add a scope if I wanted.

Why not just get another U-lite?

I have a Knight U-lite with peep for CO and a scoped Traditions G4 U-lite for UT.

jeffpg

WKR
I have been out of the muzzleloader game for a few years, but my interest is renewed. I have a couple of the older model Knight Disc Extreme rifles that I set up with 209 primer conversions but I have not got around to toying with them yet... are the newer versions improved in any way or are they basically the same rifle?

I am currently working towards setting up 2 different hunting muzzleloaders; One for restrictions such as are found in Colorado, and another one for states like New Mexico where restrictions are basically non-existent. With the unrestricted scoped rifle at least, I will want to work towards what I consider a "long range" set up. To me this basically means establishing as much power and accuracy as possible for taking deer and elk out to extended range. I plan to utilize my G7-BR2 rangefinder and a scope to dial for distance. I have been steered towards the Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader, but I'm not sure just how much better it is than the Knight Disc Extreme for long range capabilities.

What loads are you guys shooting with the Knght Disc Extreme?

Has anyone checked to see what muzzle velocities you are getting?

Thanks for your input, there seems to be a lot of options to consider these days.

I have been out of the muzzleloader game for a few years, but my interest is renewed. I have a couple of the older model Knight Disc Extreme rifles that I set up with 209 primer conversions but I have not got around to toying with them yet... are the newer versions improved in any way or are they basically the same rifle?

There really isn't much of a difference between old and new... New ones have an improved bolt handle, breech plug and the specs on the Green Mountain barreled assembly has been tighten somewhat.

I am currently working towards setting up 2 different hunting muzzleloaders; One for restrictions such as are found in Colorado, and another one for states like New Mexico where restrictions are basically non-existent. With the unrestricted scoped rifle at least, I will want to work towards what I consider a "long range" set up. To me this basically means establishing as much power and accuracy as possible for taking deer and elk out to extended range. I plan to utilize my G7-BR2 rangefinder and a scope to dial for distance. I have been steered towards the Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader, but I'm not sure just how much better it is than the Knight Disc Extreme for long range capabilities.

The RUM definitely can extend your range some what. It is capable of shooting 200 grains of powder. It use a module with a modified shell casing as the ignition source.

What loads are you guys shooting with the Knght Disc Extreme?

With the modern bullets available today there are some real advances in that area.

Has anyone checked to see what muzzle velocities you are getting?

Just an example of what I use here during rifle season but I am only looking for 200-250 yards for the ranges. This ballistic sheet was computed using a bullet with a big hollow point - there are higher BC bullets available.

Lehigh-452-265-CF-HP.jpg

Thanks for your input, there seems to be a lot of options to consider these days.

That there is!