.50cal land riding bullets

ENCORE

WKR
Just wanted to share with the western hunters that are required to use a full bore bullet, the .50cal - 325gr Fury star tip might just be an excellent choice. The .500” bullet comes knurled to .503” and it will require sizing for each individual barrel. Yes, a sizing die must be purchased.

I’ve personally shot the Fury 325gr star tips and have found them to be very accurate with production rifle charges and also custom rifle heavy charges (charges not suitable for production muzzleloaders).

When shooting 110grs VOLUME of BH209, using a .518” dia. - .060” thick veggie wad at 100yds, I recovered perfectly mushroomed bullets from the berm, after shooting through the paper target and cardboard backer. I also recovered perfect mushroomed bullets when shooting custom heavy charges. The copper jacket is .015” thick, with a soft bonded lead core. It obturates easily, is accurate and functions very well with production rifle charges.

I found them to be extremely accurate at 200yds and they will hold MOA at 300yds. Beyond 300 they begin to lose velocity quickly and group ability. For the production rifle hunter who limits himself to 150yds, maybe 200yd hunting shots, this bullet could be an excellent choice.

Muzzle Loader

Resized-photo1.jpg

resized-photo2.jpg

If these are .50 and only the knurling is .503 couldn't I pretty easily push these through my barrel that takes .501 Thor bullets Like people do with the Hornady bullets? I think I could even load the .502's but they push a bit harder.

OP
ENCORE

ENCORE

WKR
If these are .50 and only the knurling is .503 couldn't I pretty easily push these through my barrel that takes .501 Thor bullets Like people do with the Hornady bullets? I think I could even load the .502's but they push a bit harder.

You might be able to pound them down the barrel, then you'd end up with a full formed bullet and have to index. There are more new .50cal land riding bullets that will become available and I'm testing 3 new additional bullets now. I've found that the Fury star tip can be sized (for my barrel) at a "0" die setting. However 2 out of 3 of the newer bullets I'm testing, require a setting of +6 on the die. Optimal loading force, the force to push the bullet down a CLEAN barrel, should be 20 - 25 pounds force. IMO a sizing die is required.

tdhanses

WKR
I don’t know what you mean by having to be indexed.

When you size a bullet by pushing it through the barrel it’ll create groves from the rifling, you rotate to fit in the groves to load and it’s super easy to do. I think that’s what he has to be talking about but it’s crazy to have to buy a $175 die to use a specific bullet when there are so many good options available that work.

I don’t know why they couldn’t knurl the bullets to .501 and .502 as well. I would imagine it’s a pressure thing when knurling and easy to change.

tdhanses

WKR
Yeah do what Thor does and offer multiple sizes, sell a sizing sample so you can order the correct size.

Going completely off in another direction...

For years now I have been buying a couple of 50 cal. bullets and then knurling them up to be bore riders.

My most recent efforts have been directed to the Barnes MZ-Expanders for this purpose.

The 50x275 is a great bullet for this purpose. It's all copper construction and the Barnes controlled fracturing works very well. And IMO are a far better big game hunting bullet than a copper/lead bullet.

7-21-Barnes-Composite.png

Sub-base-X-B.jpg

In this picture you can see I was testing two different Barnes bullets. The 50 cal XPB's and the MZ Expanders. Both of them shot very well but the Expanders will expand at lower velocities than does the XPB Pistol bullets.

This target is my first trip out with them. It is only 75 yard target shot with a peep sight from a Knight ULite. The bullet really shows promise.

7-21-Barnes-Target.jpg

Knurling is a really simple process with a little bit of practice.

Speer-3.jpg

OP
ENCORE

ENCORE

WKR
I don’t know why they couldn’t knurl the bullets to .501 and .502 as well. I would imagine it’s a pressure thing when knurling and easy to change.

Honestly, there's just too much a difference in bore size, even with the same brand and model rifles. Barrels are known to vary from .498" to .505".
It depends on rather you're wanting extreme accuracy or just minute of deer. Knurling even with really good equipment isn't perfect and that is known to affect accuracy. It makes a significant difference at long range. Pressure is the key to knurling. Its my understanding that Fury is considering a computerized knurling machine.
From first hand experience I can say, even a single mark on the die can make a significant difference in group size, especially at long range.

muddydogs

WKR
I had some interest but at a buck a bullet plus $175 for the die I think I will stick to XTP's or my cast .45 bullets.

eltaco

WKR
Reviving an old thread, but I’m completely new to MZ this year and curious what the latest guidance is given the options available. I see Thor and Fury each have a sizing pack down to the 0.001”. I’m curious if this will prove sufficient, or if a sizing die is absolutely necessary for bore riders. Fury even has a 0.503” universal fit bullet that seems interesting.

With open sights, I’m not seeking to hit steel at 500yds, but I do hope to be confident in my setup at elk hunting distances.

One question I have related to sizing: If I have bullets sized to fit at 0.001”, or even with a sizing die down to 0.0001”, what happens when I go from summertime ambient temps and humidities in KS to high elevation winter conditions in CO? With different expansion rates of steel vs jacketed bullets, do you encounter a fitment issue when it really matters in the field?

tdhanses

WKR
I see they offer sample sizing packs now as well. The universal looks interesting to me.