Idaho Muzzleloader

I know very little about muzzleloaders but there's a controlled elk hunt I'm interested in that's muzzleloader only. I've heard people talk about newer, in-line muzzleloaders that allow for expanded range and more accurate shooting. Are those allowed in ID? I know the regs here are restructive. Basically, can you get an Idaho legal muzzleloader that's quite accurate out to 150 yards or close to it? Can you get one for $300-400?

Also, without sabots, is there a way to reload and shoot pretty fast? A guy I know that hunts muzzie said he can get his measured out and shot in around 30-40 seconds. That's a long time coming from rifle hunting. Gotta make the first shot count for sure.

Thanks!

OP
I
What about the CVA Optima V2? It's pretty highly rated on Cabelas and I like the price.

What about the CVA Optima V2? It's pretty highly rated on Cabelas and I like the price.

Remember it has to have cap ignition....

And if I were going to recommend a ML it would be a Knight ML... I shoot the Ultra Lite but the Knight DISC is a great option...

Western-Editionpg1.jpg

This is my DISC

Knight-DISC-Extreme-Western.jpg

Check this link they have the DISC on sale right now

Muzzleloaders By Knight Rifles - The American Made Muzzleloader Since 1985

OP
I
Would it be a real limitation or loss in gun quality as far as yardage or accuracy to set a $300 budget for a muzzleloader?

This would not be my main gun.

Would it be a real limitation or loss in gun quality as far as yardage or accuracy to set a $300 budget for a muzzleloader?

I would like to say certainly less quality but more important in my mind is you would get greater versatility with DISC. Accuracy really can be had in almost any modern ML of today.

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider

I have a $300 ml and the Ultra Lite. To compare it to other guns I own I would frame it like this, I have an old Remington 870 and I have a nice Browning over/under. They both shoot the same ammo and achieve the same thing. One probably doesnt bring home more birds than the other but that Browning is a piece of work and you can sure see and feel all the differences between the two.

I’m glad I have that $300 ml as a backup, glad I bought the cheap ml first to make sure muzzleloading was something I would do again, I wouldnt buy another $300 ml but I wouldnt get rid of the one I do have.

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I just reread my post and thought it may help very little.

I am just as confident that I could hit a deer broadside at 100 yards with my $300 ml as I am with my $1,000 ml. I dont worry that my CVA will fail and ruin my hunt or anything like that.

OP
I
Totally got you. I do understand the value of quality in most instances. But yeah, if the $300 muzzie is reliable then that's what I'd want for the moment. Limited hunting budget.

What would be a reasonable range for a CVA? Lots of good reviews on the fun and guys saying they're confident with it out to 150 yards. Is that pretty ambitious with open sights?

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
The mid grade line is the Optima line. Thats about $275 for the Northwest legal model. I got one at muzzle-loaders dot com. Theyre out of a small town in eastern Oregon, very helpful guys if you ever have questions or want recommendations. I think they will price match Buds or others. Midway sells guns now also with good prices. You will need a replacement rear sight for sure. Myself I dont think I could whack a deer torso at 150 yards with my set up in the field. Williams rear peep and a factory front sight. If I had an optic on it I would be good with practicing for 150 and see what happens.

The mid grade line is the Optima line. Thats about $275 for the Northwest legal model. I got one at muzzle-loaders dot com. Theyre out of a small town in eastern Oregon, very helpful guys if you ever have questions or want recommendations. I think they will price match Buds or others. Midway sells guns now also with good prices. You will need a replacement rear sight for sure. Myself I dont think I could whack a deer torso at 150 yards with my set up in the field. Williams rear peep and a factory front sight. If I had an optic on it I would be good with practicing for 150 and see what happens.

I also bought a muzzle loader from muzzle-loaders.com. I purchased the cva accura v2, and it is idaho legal. very nice weapon and with open sights the gun is very accurate. I am only shooting 100yds and off a rest but if I do my part it will shoot. I also put a rear peep (eabco with a picatinny rail) on mine aslo purchased from same place. I think it has helped shrink my groups.