Curcumin?

Ray P

FNG
Been doing lots of research on this stuff. Not much on a search here? My question is......can anyone who has taken it regularly shed some light on how it impacted them, good or bad? Did you cycle it or stay on it? Thanks!

wyodan

WKR
If I remember correctly, that is the active ingredient in turmeric. I have been taking a turmeric supplement for the last 3 weeks, I'm not sure I am seeing any benefit. I will finish the 2 bottles I've purchased, then see if I notice anything after I go off of it.

Here is a portion of an article I found while I was researching about Tumeric...

What Does Tumeric Do for You? | Reader's Digest

"According to Osinga, the most notable obstacles to using curcumin-based formulations are its poor solubility and fast metabolism. She says such limitations lead to poor absorption from the gastrointestinal tract and limiting therapeutic effectiveness. Though there are a few things you can do to boost how well curcumin is absorbed, she adds. “Have it with a quarter teaspoon of black pepper. If people are given a bunch of turmeric curcumin, within an hour there’s a little bump in the level in their blood stream. We don’t see a large increase because our liver is actively trying to get rid of it. But what if the process is suppressed by taking just a quarter teaspoon’s worth of black pepper? Then you see curcumin levels skyrocket. The same amount of curcumin consumed, but the bioavailability shoots up 2,000 percent. Even just a little pinch of pepper—1/20th of a teaspoon—can significantly boost levels.

bat-cave

WKR
I went off of all NSAID's ~2 years ago after doing some research and listening to a few podcasts on just how potentially dangerous they are. I switched to Curcumin (I use Thorne) and have had good results. What i will say is that it's not like taking an NSAID, where you typicallt get fairly fast reduction in discomfort (headache as an example). Most seem to agree that you need to take it on a regular (daily for me) basis and after ~30 days you will begin to see more benefit if you increase the dosage for aches and pains. I can't say that I understand why, but it has worked for me.

Murdy

WKR
I take a blood thinner, so I cannot use NSAIDs, and I have an inflammatory condition, so I have been taking Turmeric for a few months. Hard to say whether its helped, as the condition is variable, but I figure it's better than nothing. My Mom takes it and claims it works.
It's available on Amazon, with bioperine (which is a compound present in black pepper) added, to increase bioavailability. It's not cheap:

Amazon.com: Turmeric Curcumin with Bioperine Joint Pain Relief - Anti-Inflammatory, Antioxidant Supplement with 10mg of Black Pepper for Better Absorption. Best 100% All Natural Non-Gmo Made in USA: Health & Personal Care

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
I take a meriva curcumin. It is supposed to be more bio available then just adding pepper. Ive also taken curcumin mixed with black pepper but found the results of the meriva type to help more. Thorne or jarrow are good brands of meriva curcumin.