Trail Runners Unite

OP
A
Ran my first trail run last month. 12.5 miles and 4500 feet elevation gain. Finished 9th of 16. My only training was a half marathon back in April. I finished in just under 2.5 hours and it was probably the most physically and mentally brutal thing I have done. Training before it would have definitely helped. But I will say I’m hooked now! Once season is over i plan on dedicating more time to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s bad ass.

OP
A
What are my best carry options for trail running? I want to explore a couple trails that might be inhabited by vagrants and a couple of game land roads that have decent bear populations. I won’t be carrying for bear but a noisemaker sets me at ease to maybe shew one off. I have a sig p938 and a Taurus TCP 380 at the moment for options, but I always need an excuse for something new. I have a hydrationbelt currently. To me, the kenai chest holster looks like a good option but I figured somebody here has already been down this road.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
On my local trails bears aren't a problem (black bears and lions, no grizzlies), but we occasionally get some less than desirable transients or local mother's hanging about- I use a Hill People Gear Snubby (w/ a G43 and one spare mag), they have some that are in ripstop nylon and look very "civilized" and non tactical- it also lets me carry my phone and a few emergency bits.

OP
A
I think that’s the route I’m gonna take. There’s zero feedback I can find on the kenai chest rig being used while running so it must not do that well.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you need a little more room than the Snubby, the Runner's kit bag is a little bit taller and wider, but not thicker- it also comes with the above linked cord (or used to anyways)

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
Just saw this thread, the Kit Bag is phenomenal for running. I carry a G23 in an original kit bag with an elastic running strap , no bounce and super comfortable. Don't need more than a .40 in IN, worst thing I can run into is a psychotic dog or undesireable.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just saw this thread as well. Family of trail runners here in Alaska and it's one of the most addicting and best hunt training activities you can do!

What's a thread without some pics? These are both shots from Crow Pass in Alaska.

UXcYRAw.jpg

JKmyZQ7.jpg

Last edited:

Greg Beck

WKR
I just recently started dabbling in trail running. I enjoy it but but like with any exercise I struggle to stay motivated. I need to exercise to loose weight and keep blood pressure in check and this seemed like the easiest and cheapest route. I’m running the Altra Lone Peak 4’s and really like the shoes. My biggest struggle is to be consistent. Any advice is appreciated.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Greg- if I was always forced to run on roads or a treadmill, I would definitely have a problem staying interested. Running on trails I don't have that problem- sights to see, critters moving about, dodging roots/rocks/fallen logs, uphill/downhill, switchbacks, and much more, keeps it very interesting for me.

Variety makes a big difference- maybe search out a 8-10 trails and take turns hitting them? maybe a local running group to run with a couple of times a weeks? a buddy?

When I first started running (had to for work) I didn't like it all that much, it was about 3-4 weeks in when something clicked and went from not liking that much to really liking it! I know that running on trails was the key for me.

Mike

pete

Lil-Rokslider
Great to see all the trail runners on here.

The only thing I can add is to try and make running an automatic part of your schedule, not something you try to fit in. I’ll second finding a partner/group because it helps with accountability. And remember that you’ll be glad you ran after you’re done, even if you didn’t feel like it at first. You’ll never be glad that you spent the time on the couch.

Although I'm not a runner myself I do train ultra-runners from recreational amateurs to full time, world class pros
There have been 2 books that have been immeasurably helpful for me in balancing out programming.
The Hybrid Athlete by Alex Viada and The Science of Running by Steve Magness

The Hybrid Athlete is a great resource for learning to balance out strength training and endurance training.
https://www.jtsstrength.com/product/the-hybrid-athlete/

The Science of Running is a great resource for learning to intelligently develop an endurance program while avoiding repetitive use injuries
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00II6SY4W/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Last edited:
OP
A
I’m stumpy and not built for running nor have any running background but once I found the trails I kind of got in a groove and really enjoy it. I’m not motivated by music like some so I exercise to podcasts. I take breaks, I walk the steep uphills sometimes, but I kept with it and went from barely making a mile and a half to 5-6 mile runs in 6 months.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
it's a great race- tough as he11, but bagging Lone Peak as part of the course is something you'll never forget :)

I’m stumpy and not built for running nor have any running background but once I found the trails I kind of got in a groove and really enjoy it. I’m not motivated by music like some so I exercise to podcasts. I take breaks, I walk the steep uphills sometimes, but I kept with it and went from barely making a mile and a half to 5-6 mile runs in 6 months.
Great work! There is no shame in walking at times, in fact, most ultra marathoners on long step runs end up power walking sections. Adding in walk breaks can help to reduce stress and keep you in a good mental state too. It helped me.

Photos from Sept 2018 Golden Ultra Marathon (60km) in Golden BC Canada. Total of 9000 ft elevation gain and 9000ft loss.

Good luck!
b0b66bc4655f86f01a5623cd50d2b35d.jpg
3d9e2fd635126b504c8c1a8781ac652d.jpg
ff7118d5c79bbf24c36ecb9ebb43b1f3.jpg

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great work! There is no shame in walking at times, in fact, most ultra marathoners on long step runs end up power walking sections. Adding in walk breaks can help to reduce stress and keep you in a good mental state too. It helped me.

Photos from Sept 2018 Golden Ultra Marathon (60km) in Golden BC Canada. Total of 9000 ft elevation gain and 9000ft loss.

Good luck!

No shame at all in walking a portion! You showed up, that's more than 99% of people are willing to do.

The Golden Ultra looks like a fun race too!

It's a great race. Small town hospitality, challenging course, and amazing views.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk