Trail Runners Unite

School me. Been at it for a couple months now, mostly to have an outdoor exercise during wet weather when the bike trails were slop. Started growing on me, now I try to mix in 1-2 runs a week. I have a few local mountainous state parks with decent elevation. I aim for 2.5 to 5 miles per run, generally a slow pace that involves some hiking on the steeps. Elevation seems to be randomly consistent at 100-250 feet per mile and my pace likes to hover around 12-14 min miles. Slow, I know, but I’ve always been a shitty endurance runner. Im all solo so I figure any advice or insight, especially from mtwarden, Would help.

Lawnboi

WKR
I like you run when bike trails are slop. Usually same 2-5 miles on single track rocky rooty stuff.

I don’t go fast, and enjoy running now in more minimal shoes. It’s amazing the strength trail running on broken terrain has made on my feet and ankles. I used to roll my ankles a lot, now it’s very rare.

An occasional long run thrown in there.

My only advice is to get grippy shoes, one slip when your running could end in injury. That and work up to it when you push speed and distance, I think a lot of guys go overboard and end up messing up those feet, especially if the terrain your on is rough.

I started running again, mainly because I wasn’t doing much at work as the Fire season is winding down. I’m running fairly slow and working on my form. I haven’t hit any trails yet and probably will try to work trail runs in between hunts.

OP
A
I did my fastest 5k a couple days ago. Only about 200’ in uphill but 35 min. Previous fastest was 38. I slow but as long as I’m getting faster I’m gonna keep trying.

As for shoes, I’ve always wore Salomon. Any advantage to Hoka? There’s a local shop that has them.

P Carter

WKR
What is your age, and how is your health?

I got into it about 2010, been consistently running ever since. I'd say the key is consistency. For me, maybe 1-2 months of 3-4 runs per week and it really starts clicking...runs/elevation gain/paces that felt impossible at first start to feel routine and low-key. Keep at it, don't increase mileage too much, and take a few months with lower mileage or other exercises to keep in it for the long run! Happy to help with any specific issues.

For shoes, I've worn Salomon but recently have just gone to New Balance racing shoes. Some people like Hokas, but for some people they aggravate mechanical issues. Like anything, it's a highly personal decision. I would say that if the Salomons are working, keep with them.

OP
A
I’m 32. As for health, I’d say pretty good now. Much better than the winter. I’m 5’ 8” 185, id like to be around 155-160 but it’s been slow coming off. It’s hard to get great performance and gains while trying to restrict carbs and cals. I lift occasionally, swing a kettlebell around some and do body weight stuff at the house sometimes. Other than that I mountain bike a few times a week.

P Carter

WKR
I’m 32. As for health, I’d say pretty good now. Much better than the winter. I’m 5’ 8” 185, id like to be around 155-160 but it’s been slow coming off. It’s hard to get great performance and gains while trying to restrict carbs and cals. I lift occasionally, swing a kettlebell around some and do body weight stuff at the house sometimes. Other than that I mountain bike a few times a week.

Nice. Not sure what your goals are, but if they include getting better/faster at running, then there's no real trick to it. Just more consistent running. If you step up to 3-4 days a week for a month, then up to 5-6 days a week, you're certain to improve so long as you back off when needed to avoid injury. And weight will come off, too. No tricks or gimmicks; just consistency and miles. That's the beauty and difficulty of running. Simple but not easy!

OP
A
I haven’t stepped up from 2x a week to avoid knee issues. I can already tell a big difference in ankle strength, that was one of the issues I had starting out. I would like to maybe get to 3x a week but I enjoy the bike much more.

npaden

FNG
I try to run on trails as much as possible but there aren't a lot of choices around me. I have a 1.6 mile figure 8 that I run on my property that is kind of a trail. I mow it with my tractor and the kids ride ATVs on it. I run a lot of miles on gravel and dirt roads though.

When I'm actively training for something like a race I generally have 7 days a week of running on my training plan but a couple of those days may be only 3 or 4 miles of easy running, almost more of a recovery jog than a training run.

My next trail race is one I've wanted to run for several years, but I've always been out hunting that weekend. This year I had a pronghorn tag for mid September and then a late Arizona elk tag the very end of November into the first week of December so I can run the Palo Duro Canyon trail race this year. I'm running the 50K and my wife is running the 25K.

I was planning on putting in some good training miles this year but my motivation slipped after running the Boston Marathon this year. Took a while trying to figure out what to do next. Finally settled on this 50K trail race so I've been training pretty good the last few weeks but am way behind on mileage this year. Just crossed over 1,300 miles for the year yesterday.

duchntr

WKR
If you want to be stronger runner then run more but the key is finding a balance, going too hard too soon can cause injuries. Also don't forget to work on your core, a strong core goes a long way in improving your running endurance. Id say wear whatever shoe fits you best, that may mean trying multiple pairs. I personally really enjoy running tight single track, the obstacles and scenery are always changing and that is exciting to me.

LandYacht

WKR
This year I had a pronghorn tag for mid September and then a late Arizona elk tag the very end of November into the first week of December so I can run the Palo Duro Canyon trail race this year. I'm running the 50K and my wife is running the 25K.

Hope both of you love it! My wife ran her first 50k this last weekend and she’s hooked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

npaden

FNG
Thanks.

I've done a 50 mile and 50K trail run in previous years, just not this particular 50K trail run.

The crazy thing is it took me over an hour longer to finish the 50K that I did previously than it did to run the 50 miler. The 50K had over 8,000' of elevation gain and loss and the 50 miler probably had less than 800'. Way more technical trail on the 50K that I did as well. (Elkhorn Endurance Run just outside of Helena, Montana was the 50K, Brazos Bend 50 miler just outside of Houston was the 50 miler)

This 50K shouldn't be as tough as the last one, it is a new course for this year but I'm guessing somewhere around 1,000' of elevation gain and loss for it.

The course makes a HUGE difference on the effort required to complete a trail run.

OP
A
4 miler on a tough trail. 600 ft elevation with long uphills followed by long downhills. I took it slow bc I didn’t get to run last week, sinus infection. Felt pretty good but I think I’m gonna be a little sore tomorrow. Brings me to a question...what, if any supplements/vitamins are helpful?

OP
A
I did a little over 5 miles with ~700 I’m gain at a touch over an hour. I’m a little sore/ stiff today, but I figured I would be. It’s my longest run yet. I really found my pace and ran in the morning instead of after lunch. I feel like a huge different person when I wait later in the day to do anything.

I really want a hydration belt for the longer stuff that got a large enough pocket for a small pistol, keys and phone. Anybody use anything they like? I thought about getting a Kenai chest holster and using it for running as well as hunting. I just don’t want it to rub me raw and soak my gun. I’m stuck on this.

FlyGuy

WKR
I switched over to a vest a little pver a year ago and I'm really happy with it. Keeps the flopping down. Love the one way valve water bottles that are included with this one too.

Ultimate direction Jurek FKT Vest White, Runnerinn
438de5ff9174eb86ef053e10b41c3889.jpg

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
sorry missed this thread :(

You’re on the right track. A couple of things you can consider.

Add an additional day of running in. 3-4 days of trail running still gives you plenty of time for recovery/cross training.

Add mileage, very slowly though.

Consider adding in a longer run once a week (again slowly and incrementally).

The most important thing when beginning running is staying injury free- you need recovery time and any increases in mileage needs to be added slowly. Next in importance is building your base, which you’re doing. This is best done with lower level efforts (it also helps with staying injury free). As you build your base you’ll naturally see gains.

Try this once a week on your run- strides. Run comfortably for about half your run, then (thoroughly warmed up) look at your watch and smoothly pick up the pace where you’re going relatively quickly- not sprinting, just smooth quick for one minute, then slow smoothly to your normal pace, after two minutes, do another one minute quick, repeat and do 5-6 and then finish your run normally. This will most definitely gradually pick up your overall pace. When you feel the time is right, reduce the two minute “rest” to one minute.

My all time favorite and least favorite :D hill repeats. quick up hill, slow down, repeat. You can vary the workout lots of different ways- shorter steeper hills, longer, less steep

For hunting (and overall fitness) they will pay big dividends.

Always make it fun. Trail running should be fun!

OP
A
I’ve been mixing it up some lately. I ran a shorter/faster 2 mile loop the other day that included a few football field stadiums. Tomorrow I’m shooting for a longer slower run around 4-5 miles with plenty of elevation. I finally got a hydration belt that had a front pocket for keys and a .380. Ready to use it.

I’ve also started supplementing some. I also mtb and lift/kettlebell. I am taking 5-10 grams of BCAAs, Cordyceps mushroom capsules, l-Citrulline and probiotics. Also a centrum complete generic multivitamin. I’m gonna roll with this for a while and see if I notice any differences.

twall13

WKR
Can you post a link or at least tell is the name of the hydration belt you mentioned? I'm in the market to upgrade mine and that sounds ideal.
I’ve been mixing it up some lately. I ran a shorter/faster 2 mile loop the other day that included a few football field stadiums. Tomorrow I’m shooting for a longer slower run around 4-5 miles with plenty of elevation. I finally got a hydration belt that had a front pocket for keys and a .380. Ready to use it.

I’ve also started supplementing some. I also mtb and lift/kettlebell. I am taking 5-10 grams of BCAAs, Cordyceps mushroom capsules, l-Citrulline and probiotics. Also a centrum complete generic multivitamin. I’m gonna roll with this for a while and see if I notice any differences.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

541hunter

WKR
Ran my first trail run last month. 12.5 miles and 4500 feet elevation gain. Finished 9th of 16. My only training was a half marathon back in April. I finished in just under 2.5 hours and it was probably the most physically and mentally brutal thing I have done. Training before it would have definitely helped. But I will say I’m hooked now! Once season is over i plan on dedicating more time to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk