Starting on 2019 right now.......

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
Completed my 1st Elk Season this year in the Idaho Panhandle, and shit needs to change. :mad:

I am 44 years old and father time has caught up with me a bit. Need to lose some weight and put on some muscle if I am going to continue this as a hobby. 5'-9" and tipping the scales in the high 190's. I would like to get into the 170's.......if not lighter.

I have not lifted any weights in 5-6 years. I do quite a bit of hiking and mtn biking in the summer months. Snow shoeing in the winter.

Vices are way too much pop and of course, a fondness for beer. My diet is not all bad.....but I know I need to tweak it.

Question #1. How many ounces protein should I be eating everyday?

Looking at joining Street Parking and use their daily WOD. Slowly start assembling a home gym. I have a 14 year old son who would be game for some boot camp type workouts.

Any other advice/ input?

Sucking wind on a climb.

DSC_0019-L.jpg

jmez

WKR
I don't know anything about Street Parking but went and looked at their website. It looks like a home based Crossfit system.

My advice would be, this is a marathon not a sprint. Your goal is to get fit and better yourself, not get hurt. Start SLOW, don't use the RX weights, even if the website tells you to. HIIT type training is good, it can also be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing and aren't familiar with the exercises/programming. A lot of these types of workouts don't look that bad on paper, you'll think I can do that. Don't be fooled. Until you start doing them you won't understand.

They are designed to fatigue you and then have you continue to work under, what at times, is an extreme level of fatigue. That is when you get hurt.

Form is critical. If you have improper form when fresh, it will be a complete mess once you get tired. That's when you get hurt. Some of the compound exercises are pretty technical such as overhead squats, snatches, squat snatches, box step ups with a bar and weight across your back, etc. It is hard to learn to do these types of things safely in your garage with no experience.

If it hurts don't do it, substitute an exercise, every single time. I've been doing Crossfit for 5 years and have a bad shoulder. I do not and will not do any kind of snatch, overhead squat, or anything on the rings. Those hurt me, I substitute. If I stay away from those exercises I am pain free and do fine.

If you have specific questions about exercises ask them here. Some pretty knowledgeable fitness guys on here.

Might be worth your while to join a Crossfit Gym for a month, if there is a decent one in your area, and go through a ramp up program where you could get some coaching on this type of working out/exercises.

FlyGuy

WKR
Agree with previous post. My story is not too different than yours. I'm 45 now and reached the exact same conclusion as you a few years ago. I started with running b/c it gets the weight off of me the fastest, but after competing in a Train-To-Hunt event it became painfully obvious that I needed to incorporate more weight training into my program to really reach my goals. I signed up for X-fit the following week and have been attending regularly since then (18 months ago).

My typical now is x-fit 3x per week and running 3x/week, 1 rest day. I really like this combo for building endurance, strength, stamina and fast recovery.

But the movements are challenging. I would highly encourage you to join a local box for a while to get the daily coaching on your form. For me personally, I just wouldn't push myself as hard w/o the group setting. The friendships built are a very big part of the appeal and accountability that makes crossfit so popular, so you might find that works for you too over a home gym.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Same boat 44 , I started my journey 3 years ago and its still a dog fight. I will tell you that my mountain experience has never been better since i started , I hike to were I want to now , not just to were i can make it. Good luck with your goals And keep us posted.

I do 1.5g of protein per pound of body weight.

Sevobuck

Lil-Rokslider
Without a doubt, CrossFit is the single nest “program” you can get involved with to get into back country-ready shape. Building up a strong core and performing functional fitness movements paid big dividends for me on my first back country hunt in Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowtech840

Lil-Rokslider
No need to jump into the crossfit fad unless it's something you think you will enjoy. You can be amazed with results at something as simple as giving up pop and doing cardio. Personally I hate cardio. My substitution is high pace weight training. Warm up on treadmill, elliptical, stair master ect. Get the heart rate going and then hit the weights. I've lost 27lbs in 2 years but that number is deceiving due to muscle gain. 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight daily is a general for muscle gain. The work is the easy part the hardest part is commitment.

OP
Coach529

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input guys.

There are a number of great crossfit gyms in the area......but to be honest, the cost scared me away.

Without a doubt, CrossFit is the single nest “program” you can get involved with to get into back country-ready shape. Building up a strong core and performing functional fitness movements paid big dividends for me on my first back country hunt in Colorado.

I agree , the motivation from group workouts pushes you to get better. My recovery on the mountain is so much better. The cost is expensive but my gym will provide a macro plan for you , if you look at a personal trainer Crossfit is half the cost.

jmez

WKR
Thanks for the input guys.

There are a number of great crossfit gyms in the area......but to be honest, the cost scared me away.

Don't need to do it long term. Just go for a month, most of the gyms will offer discounted rates for the first month. You could do that and then start into the "Street Training" program on your own. Would get you started into the movements and technique correctly.

FlyGuy

WKR
Don't need to do it long term. Just go for a month, most of the gyms will offer discounted rates for the first month. You could do that and then start into the "Street Training" program on your own. Would get you started into the movements and technique correctly.
Yeah, the costs are high, but you have someone designing your workout for you every day and then watching/coaching your movements. I would advise you to budget for at least 3 months, maybe 6. It takes more than just a few weeks to get comfortable with a lot of the movements. Hell, I'd never even heard of an overhead squat before. After a good 3-6 months then decide if You want to stay or do it on your own. You might not be scared of those costs by then though.

For me, It is worth the cost. As i said earlier, I have the discipline and motivation to run each week and to continually push myself further and harder. But for some reason, I've just never been able to transfer that into the gym with weights. I don't understand why, but it doesn't matter. I just know that I need the camaraderie and the WOD (that I don't get to pick out) to pull out that competitive drive in me. I've seen more gains in my mid 40's than I've seen since high school. Heck, I went from a 62 lb draw up to 70lbs and I'm sure I could push well past that if I cared to get new limbs. Feels so much better pushing up those climbs and feeling like there really isn't anywhere I can't go.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

bozeman

WKR
CROSSFIT for me as well. Turned 40 last month and hit my 18 month X-fit anniversary this month. I still enjoy running and run approx 12 miles/week.......but the X-fit helps with core strength and conditioning 4x a week. Best of luck! It will help when you a are up on a mountain!

jmez

WKR
You don't have to do Crossfit. It isn't the end all be all of fitness programs. It is nothing more than circuit training. We used to do very similar things when I was wrestling in High School in the late 80's. Greg Glassman was just smart enough to brand and patent it.

You can get the same benefits of a Crossfit type training program with minimal equipment. Simply do high intensity workouts. Push ups, pull ups, sit ups, weighted and non weighted lunges, run, bike, dumbbells or kettlebells, burpees, box jumps or step ups, etc. None of that requires much help or coaching.

If you are going to be trying to do snatches, clean and jerk, stuff on rings, overhead squats, etc then you will probably need some direction getting started. Most people, even if they have done a lot of lifting and working out don't have much background in the Olympic style stuff. The website linked in the 1st post had pictures of a lot of those movements. There were also some comments in the workout section saying you should use the RX or prescribed weight and reps for this workout. Not good advice for someone new to this type of training. Maybe they have a ramp up type program for getting started? I could only see the sample stuff they posted.

All kinds of good stuff on the web for simply improving your fitness for free. Do a little more tomorrow than you did today. Stick with a regime. Doing something is better than nothing. Fitness doesn't have to be complicated.

Here is a link for 92 workouts you can do at home with 0 equipment. Also a lot more posted in the comments.

No Equipment, no problem: Here’s 92 Workouts without equipment – Dai Manuel: Your Lifestyle Mentor

Last edited:

AdamW

WKR
#1, ditch the soda. Enjoying a beer here and there (and not 4+ per evening) at least has some social/personal purpose, soda is just junk sugar that we get used to drinking. After being off it for a while you'll find yourself barely able to choke one down. I used to drink 3 or so cans of coke per day and about twice per year I will get one and have yet to finish one.

Everyone has an opinion on this, but by your own words you're carrying essentially a 25 lb bag of flour around on your shoulders 24/7 via excess weight. Target weight loss and start working in the workout stuff.

Larry Lindenman puts it as simply as I've ever found it and this "system" and a real food diet has helped myself and a small handful of friends lose 200+ lbs combined. I've slacked off a bit and am getting back to it.

Dieting for Fat Loss By Larry Lindenman | RealDefense

I wouldn't give a thought to protein or other macros at all yet. Start eating more like we should and you'll start dropping pounds with next to no effort, I promise you.

OP
Coach529

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
#1, ditch the soda. Enjoying a beer here and there (and not 4+ per evening) at least has some social/personal purpose, soda is just junk sugar that we get used to drinking. After being off it for a while you'll find yourself barely able to choke one down. I used to drink 3 or so cans of coke per day and about twice per year I will get one and have yet to finish one.

Everyone has an opinion on this, but by your own words you're carrying essentially a 25 lb bag of flour around on your shoulders 24/7 via excess weight. Target weight loss and start working in the workout stuff.

Larry Lindenman puts it as simply as I've ever found it and this "system" and a real food diet has helped myself and a small handful of friends lose 200+ lbs combined. I've slacked off a bit and am getting back to it.

I wouldn't give a thought to protein or other macros at all yet. Start eating more like we should and you'll start dropping pounds with next to no effort, I promise you.

Thanks.....that is a great article

Y,ou got to find an activity that you enjoy, be it gym, weights, hiking, biking.... If you don't enjoy it, it will become work and you will find excuses not to do it. I see hunting as an endurance sport and I like to be outside, so I do a lot of trail running.

As for nutrition, the first thing I would do is look at what you are eating and get rid of the empty calories. Soda, french fries, the nightly bowl of ice cream,... should be the first things so go. By simply doing this and running regularly (at the time 20-25 miles a week), I was able to loose almost 30 lbs in about 6 months. You can make radical changes in diet and activity, but if you don't stick with it....

Keep it simple and think the long game.

Loco4dux

WKR

This is great.

KayLee

FNG
I do a lot of weighted pack training and increase the weight as it gets closer to the hunting season. Check out the ONUS Training bags at ONUS Training. They are leak-proof, made to go in your hunting pack, and easy to adjust the weight as needed. The intent is to train with your existing pack and not have to use random objects or leaking bags of sandn that are hard on our packs. They have a max of 100lb bag and a smaller max of 50lbs.
Also check out iHuntFit | Building Better Hunters | Hunt Prepared and their YouTube channel. They are very professional and can customize a workout and meal plan for you that'll cater your specific hunting goals.