Minimum fitness level

SCOH

FNG
I am a 49 year old Ohio guy who would like to start backpack hunting in the West. I've been an avid hunter my whole life, usually spending over a hundred days a year in the field. I have done some serious Backcountry hunting and fishing in Alaska, but it was out of a canoe.

Professionally I've been a tree climber / arborist for most of my career so I am no stranger to adversity. Hopefully that will equate to the mental toughness needed for a Backcountry backpacking hunt.

My question has to do with minimum Fitness level. What is a good goal for me to shoot for that when I reach it I will know I'm ready to backpack hunt in the West? For example, if I can put 45 lbs in my pack get on the treadmill at a 15-degree incline and do 6 miles will I have the needed physical endurance to successfully execute a hunt?

I obviously do not have any mountains here to train on.

Thanks in advance for any replies. This form has been a great resource.

Last edited:
Being a guy from the East (WV) that just pulled off my first Western backpack hunt I think I can chime in here....

My training consisted of throwing my pack on and hiking the hill behind my house, which is 200' elevation gain in 1/4 mile. I started doing it one time with 40lbs and it was tough! I had to stop and take two breaks on the way up and the return trip down was rough on legs that were out of shape. I got to the point where I could do that trip 4 times without stopping and with even more weight. A month before the trip I started dragging a truck tire with only 20lbs in it around the yard. Freakin ass kicker!!! I will tell you, if you can drag a tire for half hour without stopping you'll do just fine out there. I was under the impression that you had to be some "super athlete" to hunt out West based on all the social media stuff i've seen, but that is for sure not the case. Fitness for sure helps and will keep you going day to day, but mental toughness is just as important IMO.

I did just fine on my trip and we did over 60 miles in roughly 6 days, 11k' vertical feet and packed out two mule deer. I never felt wiped out and had an absolute blast! the altitude made me slow down way before my legs ever gave out on me lol.

Good luck!!

I would say load everything you’re going to bring and walk stairs with your pack on nonstop for an hour. If you can’t do this, you need to lighten your pack, improve your fitness, or both. I think it’s feasible to stop once an hour on a trip if need be as long as you’re cruising at a good clip for the hour. If you need to stop more frequently, you’ll never cover the necessary ground to get anywhere. This test should be relatively easy to accomplish, because on a trip, you’ll have to repeat the hour of work as many times as necessary to get where you’re going. The mental toughness comes into play doing it day in and day out with shitty sleep in between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a trip in mind? You asked for advice for setting goals for your trip.A suggestion I might add is to use the research you've done on the hunt at hand to help you set those goals. What's worked for me is figuring out what the trip might require and upping it slightly so you can due it with ease. Let's say hypothetically, you know you have a five mile pack in with a 40 pound pack train for 6 miles with 50. It has elevation involved, why train on flatland hit the stairmaster. Think you might have to pick up 150lbs, train for 185 etc etc... probably not as science based as some of the other tips you'll hear but has worked pretty well for me

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
In addition to your fitness level you need to be at elevation a couple of days before you start heavy exertion or you will pay. If you can do this "For example, if I can put 45 lbs in my pack get on the treadmill at a 15-degree incline and do 6 miles", but the elevation will then make that feel like 100 pounds, I started to be a lot more successful by going to 5,000 for a day, then 7,000 for a day, then starting to haunt there and up after that.

OP
S

SCOH

FNG
Thanks for the replies.

I do not have a specific trip in mind. I recently moved into a consultative position that (FINALLY) allows me the flexibility to get away for 3-4+ weeks at a time between projects. I plan on taking as much advantage of that time as my body and spirit will allow.

I have been working like crazy to improve my VO2 max (HIIT workouts on days when I'm not ruck training) to make up for the fact that I cant really replicate the altitude here in Ohio.

I'm in fairly decent shape now (5'10" 185#) with decent endurance from year round exercise and lots of bird and rabbit hunting. Think about doing 12-14 miles a day in a waist deep wading pool.....that is about what its like. It's the altitude that is actually my main concern.

npaden

FNG
Minimum fitness is whatever you are when the time comes. Worst case scenario you get out there and suck air for a while.

I personally think running helps a lot and that's where I've focused a lot of my effort. Having your cardio system locked in is about the best way to deal with the altitude adjustment in my opinion.

I set a goal of running 6 miles in an hour starting out and have increased that goal each year pretty much and last year I qualified for the Boston Marathon which I ran this year. Finished in just under 3 1/2 hours running into a headwind and heavy rain the entire time.

The better shape you are in the more enjoyable it will be out there humping the hills. I've also picked up trail running and think that really helps too.

I just returned from 8 days in the Selway unit of Idaho. The terrain was brutal and at times really tested me. My hunting partner, who is in good shape and trained for the trip, quit the second day and went home. You don’t have to hike in 10 miles through crazy terrain to hunt out west, but if you desire to do that sort of thing it takes a lot. If you want to get away from people and have an adventure, it really takes a commitment. I stay in shape throughout the year, but ramp it up for a couple of months leading up to it. For this trip I was running around 20 miles a week, doing Metcon type workouts at least every other day, and lifting at the gym 5 days a week. At least once a week I’d do some kind of workout that involved carrying a pack. I was working out 2 or 3 times a day. The hiking type workouts were either stairs with 60 pounds for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, sprinting up and walking down a small sledding hill with 60 pounds for 30 minutes, or flat land walking with 100 pounds. The Metcon was usually 30 minutes straight of 45 second all out goes of various exercises (burpees, squats, kettle bell swings, etc) with 15 seconds of rest between each. Write down 30 different exercises and set a Tabata timer for 45-15. Plan the activity so it gets you to a point where you can’t catch up on oxygen in the 15 seconds and you’re gasping for air and feel like you’re going to puke, then put in something like plank to catch your breath. In the 30 minutes you should reach that gasping for air state at least 3 times for maybe 3 minutes each. This training helped me handle the altitude on a solo backpack hunting trip above tree line in Colorado last year. I live near Chicago and never have time for acclimation. It all really sucks and it’s ridiculous self punished, buts it’s in my opinion what it takes. I also take cold showers and baths to try prepare my body to go from 90 degrees to 30 degree nights.

How do you have time for all that? I don’t think you need to go to those extremes to hunt in the Rockies but that’s beast mode for sure.

FlyGuy

WKR
It sounds like you are in good enough shape to have a good hunt, but the more you can do in the off season the more enjoyable the trip will be.

I do X-fit 3x/week and run 3x/week (target 20 total miles/week but can vary). That works well for me. I'll trade out a heavy pack for a run every couple weeks.

You might see if there is a Train-to-Hunt event in 2019 that you can sign up for (schedule isn't out yet). That might be a good way to tell where you are and what areas you may need to work on.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

How do you have time for all that? I don’t think you need to go to those extremes to hunt in the Rockies but that’s beast mode for sure.

I try to keep the regular workouts to around 30 minutes. Run 4 miles, Metcon, and just do one body part a day at the gym. I’m a construction worker, so I can be sweaty and smelly at work. I workout on lunch and as soon as I get home every day. Depending on my schedule, I’ll do early morning before work or late evening workouts when I can. The backpack workouts are usually Sunday evening. The time leading up to the hunt is a busy time for me. I’m a head football coach for my boy’s team, along with at least 40 hours of work, 3 hours of commute, and grass cutting and the rest of summer activities. We have plenty of time for 1 to 1-1/2 hours of exercise if we’re efficient with our time, and cut out all the rest and laziness.

Felix40

WKR
Squats, running, and rucking is about all you need. Just do a lot of those three things and you will be fine.

DavePwns

WKR
I'm a big fan of low weight, high rep dead lifts with perfect form AND moving slowly throughout the movement up and down. I typically do 105-145lb 20-30 reps x 5 sets. I will jump rope for 5 min between each set. These exercises will maximizes your core stability in your back/abdominals and is obviously great for your legs which are extremely important for long and heavy pack outs. Do this workout 2 times a week in conjunction with a running or rucking program 2 times a week. I'd say that would be bare minimum if you want to maximize your hunt.

I’m in my 40’s as well. Grew up in Montana, but have lived in Texas the last 20 years. The biggest thing for me, and the buddies I’ve taken up to my family ranch in MT is dealing with higher altitude. My driveway in TX is right at 77ft - so when I train for any hunting out West, I’m wanting to work the altitude difference into the equation the best I can. I’ve been using an altitude training mask for the last 10 years. You can get them for around $50-$60 on Amazon. The goals I ask friends to make that want to hunt with me are to work toward running a half marathon. Doesn’t mean you have to run it - you can walk some too, but it’s a goal. Climb a bunch of stairs. Even if that means going to a public office building or a high school stadium to walk the bleachers. Squats are very helpful too. You don’t have to have Olympic weights - a homemade sandbag will work perfectly. Get a cheap plyobox (with 18” & 24” sides max - $50 shipped from Amazon or you can make one) and a sandbag and get 100-200 steps up and down with the sandbag on your shoulders. Your loaded pack works for this too, but I like the weight to be less stable. This might sound like a lot of work, but it’s easy to do - and you’ll be more likely to actually do it. Good luck!

OP
S

SCOH

FNG
I apologize for the necropost. Just wanted to thank everyone for the information and encouragement.

jp0212

FNG
Contrary to what a lot of people may think, you do not have to directly duplicate the hiking with a pack to obtain a good level of fitness for backpack hunting. Instead, you should try to focus on overall fitness with an occasional hike with a reasonable weighted pack. I would highly recommend looking into a regimented fitness program, something like Athlean-X or MTNTough which will help you establish good muscle balance throughout your body. Then, throw on your pack with a maximum 30-40lbs, and go for a hike. You do not need mountains, just hike around a park or something nearby. You do not need to be Josh Bowmar to pull off a successful, comfortable backpack hunt. A good weight training program to establish muscular balance, nutrition, and cardio will all get you where you need to be.