Equipment

Ryanjay11

Lil-Rokslider
Another recommendation for the Concept 2 rower. I have the PM5 model.

You can take it easy, or play one of the games(darts/fish/etc.) that will just about make you puke. Great piece of equipment.

WKR
For those that have rowers, be cautious of the low back. Repeated flexion/extension of the lumbar spine under compressive load is a known mechanism of injury for the intervertebral disc.

Low back injuries are very, very common among elite rowers.

IMO, the assault/echo type bikes are a far better mix of aerobic challenge while reducing the prevalence of severe injuries.

I have a bowflex max trainer which I use 3 days per week for no impact high intensity training.

Have had it almost 2 years. You can often find them nearly knew on craigslist. If you want one, create an account and put it in your cart. You might get emails with discounts. Also. Watch sales around black Friday and the new year.

I was running the other 3 days per week and resting on Sundays. I used to hate running. Then I lost 120 lbs and got in shape. Enjoy it now. My knee got sore and I've really cut back my running. Right now 1 day a week. Having surgery next week (not on knee) so I'll be down for a while, but will either get back to 3 runs per week or do more on the bowflex.

I thought my wife would use it. Maybe 10 times total. I wish I had a mountain out my back door.

When I travel for work, I either use ellipticals or treadmills on high incline. Depends on the equipment at the hotel.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
MuleyFever
I was planning to buy a Concept rower after the holidays. Today my wife saw they were doing $600 off the max trainer M5 with free shipping so we ordered one. That's about the same price people are selling their used ones for. I will still buy the rower as well, just going to push it off for a few months.

You can usually pick up an old Nordic Track XC ski machine pretty inexpensive. By varying the tension and/or incline you can keep it to a walking pace and still get your heart rate up. The down sides are: 1) coordination - it does require a bit of technique, 2) knowing the effort - unless you can find one with a working computer you'll have a harder time tracking workout progress (miles, feet elevation, etc.). But, for $100 or so you can have a machine that will get you workout that will get you in good cardio shape for hunting. You can even put a loaded pack on for your workouts.

But, whatever you do - get a decent heart rate monitor. It will help you know when to back off. Most people push too hard in their cardio efforts and get into an anaerobic zone.