Equipment

I am thinking of buying a piece of equipment for cardio workouts. I am looking for opinions on what would be best. I am considering a row machine, a bike or maybe that Bowflex Max Trainer. The Bowflex looks interesting as it is sort of like a stair stepper. I am not a runner. I hate running.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you can swing it (maybe used?) a stair machine, not the "stair stepper", the one that is like an escalator- if you're idea is cardio to be in shape for hunting mountains, that is definitely the piece I would be looking at

I'm fortunate and have mountains in my backyard, but even then, in below zero weather I hit the stair machine

OP
MuleyFever
I don't think one of those is a realistic option. I planned on spending no more than $1000 and looking used.

The base of the mountain is 3 blocks behind my house. Just want something I can jump on when its wet, cold or I am feeling lazy. Also, my wife would use it.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah- they're spendy

maybe a treadmill that allows a lot of elevation, some even allow descent

Treadmill + incline + podcast = what works for me. I like that 2-4 mph pace with varying incline. Keep the heart rate decent like flirting with 150bpm but always changing speed or incline. Kinda like in mountains.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

WKR
We just got Rogue Echo bikes, they are awesome. Solid, QUIET, and as brutal or gentle as you want. Not a fan of a rower, can be hard on lumbar spines.

OP
MuleyFever
Those bikes look nice. My only hesitation would be they don't do workouts with varying difficulty. Is it pretty much just all out or nothing on them?

jmez

WKR
Those bikes look nice. My only hesitation would be they don't do workouts with varying difficulty. Is it pretty much just all out or nothing on them?

We use Assault bikes and the Echo is similar. The harder you pedal the more the resistance increases in the bike. Plenty of varying difficulty to be had on those bikes. They definitely earn their name as the Devil's tricycle.

Nalgene

Lil-Rokslider
You can get an Airdyne for 100$ on craigslist all day, COncept 2 rower is the best piece of equipment I have bought (10yrs ago).

I went with a stationary spin bike, because my wife wanted on and it’s what she’d actually use. It’s also easier on my joints.

Following this thread, anybody ever use a climber like the maxi climber https://www.amazon.com/MaxiClimber-original-patented-Vertical-Climber/dp/B00K6ZURAW ? I usually ride bike or walk outside with pack on on but in the winter with snow, ice,and cold cardio takes a hit.
I used a Versa Climber during my fight career for low impact lactate threshold training. It's an absolute killer.
That type of energy system development has no place in a hunting training program.
It's more of a puke inducing ego stroke.

Jimss

WKR
My preference is to use the outdoors as my piece of workout equipment. Nothing beats getting out in the hills, getting fresh air, watching wildlife, and working out legs/lungs! It's amazing how good of shape you can keep if you are hiking the exact country where you'll be hunting. Obviously this isn't possible for those that live in the city but if there is a park, open space, or public land close it sure beats looking at walls while working out! I would much rather get on a mtn bike on a scenic trail than a stationary bike! If you want a tougher workout add a 20 to 50 lb pack and/or climb a couple canyons!