Dieting.....

Awesome thread, I am 52 and 5'10 and 238#, I to don't look 238 but the bulk is not good either, hard on your joints. I am looking at the no sugar diet.

Cut out carbs. It's the easiest diet to stick to. I don't know anyone who is sustaining a calorie deficit diet long term. As far as workout. Anyone who thinks that pumping iron is going to keep you in good shape past the age of 35 should go to their local gym and see how many people aren't in shape. Then look at the girls on the treadmills and stair climbers that are in much better shape than the men bench pressing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

FLAK

WKR
Man - controlling the insidious creep of weight gain is the hardest thing. I honestly don't know how to do it. I mean, I know what it takes, but I don't know how to make it through a day starving myself. My work depends on my brain and thinking, and if I'm hungry, I cannot concentrate.

I'm 48, 5'11' and 220-225, depending on when I ate and when I took a dump. I should probably be 190, but I'd be happy with just 200. 175 is a dream. Here's the problem, I can eat and drink just about anything I want, and I never seem to really gain weight. I can also starve myself and not seem to lose it. But 20 years down the road, and I'm carrying 20-25 pounds more than I should be. Right in my gut/torso.

Exercise. How to find the time? Between work and the commute, I'm out of the house 12 hours a day. Then its helping with kids or other stuff around the house until their out and I might get to actually veg from 8:30 PM til 10PM. Up again at 5 or 6 depending.

I salute you guys that have the determination and focus to change. I haven't and I'm not sure that I ever will.

Right there with you. Sounds exactly like me.

Cut out carbs. It's the easiest diet to stick to. I don't know anyone who is sustaining a calorie deficit diet long term. As far as workout. Anyone who thinks that pumping iron is going to keep you in good shape past the age of 35 should go to their local gym and see how many people aren't in shape. Then look at the girls on the treadmills and stair climbers that are in much better shape than the men bench pressing.

spending hours on the treadmill or stairclimber does not mean your in great shape. It burns calories and makes you skinny ,but You need a good mix of Strength and conditioning/cardio.

spending hours on the treadmill or stairclimber does not mean your in great shape. It burns calories and makes you skinny ,but You need a good mix of Strength and conditioning/cardio.
True that.

Hottest chic at the gym is always on weights and doing moves with weights I can't even fathom.

Not saying she doesn't do cardio, but I only see her on weights.
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I agree with you guys about adding in strength training. But that's easy and most people men are willing to do it. The cardio is where most men fail because it's hard to do.

OP
Bigfootcali
I agree with you guys about adding in strength training. But that's easy and most people men are willing to do it. The cardio is where most men fail because it's hard to do.

Cardio is very important if you plan on spending anytime in the mountains hiking or hunting,the type of cardio you do should be a reflection of the type of environment you plan on hiking or hunting in i.e altitude,type of terrain steep or not amd distances.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Right there with you. Sounds exactly like me.

I've been consciously at least trying to think about what is going down my pie hole since my post. Even talked to the wife about it, and that we at least need to try to get better about what we eat.

That said, as I was checking in to this thread, the work email came in that there were free donuts in the kitchen. I just popped in the last bite. It didn't even taste that good, and I feel like a schmuck for doing so. I wish I could puke it up now.

But at least I thought about it and felt guilty as I committed the crime. Better next time.

I've been consciously at least trying to think about what is going down my pie hole since my post. Even talked to the wife about it, and that we at least need to try to get better about what we eat.

That said, as I was checking in to this thread, the work email came in that there were free donuts in the kitchen. I just popped in the last bite. It didn't even taste that good, and I feel like a schmuck for doing so. I wish I could puke it up now.

But at least I thought about it and felt guilty as I committed the crime. Better next time.
The biggest thing a person can do to improve their overall quality of life is get in shape. It will improve every aspect of your life (health, confidence, energy level, sex, mental health, etc.) No one looks back and regrets getting into shape. **** your schedule and all the excuses. You only get one body and one life, do whatever it takes.

Trial153

WKR
There is no easy fix. Get a little age on us and it's a whole new ballgame. Till I was like 35 diet was s non issue. Now at 42...not so much

When you're actually ready to the change, start tracking what you eat. You'll see very quickly how many calories can come in small packages.

This was yesterday for me. I had an after dinner snack which put me over the top. My settings on this program don't subtract exercise calories.

97ffe1758b2c4c4ac5a90fca893d85c8.jpg

Shraggs

WKR
Im not an expert but I am down 112 lbs in 2 years. And i stay at holiday inn express sometimes.

First it's a math equation. Calories in minus calories out. Make that a net negative and that's step 1.

There are lots of nuances and some calories are better than others.

Start by tracking your calories using a program. I use mynetdiary. That will teach you a lot about your calorie intake.

I set a goal weight and calculated how many calories it would take to maintain that. Then I set that as my daily calorie goal. Then I removed sugar from coffee, eliminated starchy snacks. My snacks now are either proteins or raw vegetables. My meals focus on proteins and vegetables with a single serving of carbs at dinner. Most days I am under 2000 calories.

Finally, add in some exercise. Up until my surgery last week I did cardio 6 days per week and lifted weights 3 days per week. After surgery, my doc said I should walk as much as I can, so I am.

In the end, it's an equation. It's not linear, but it is close. Start by getting it to a negative number and then adjust from there.

Great advice here. works in health care and a diabetic, carbs (either starchy or simple sugars) are not your friend. Certainly medical information you can research. I would say that reducing or nearly eliminating carbs is more important than counting calories but both are. When you have lost significant weight, carbs can be re inserted for energy when needed. processed carbs should be eliminated altogether and focus on natural fruits and yams. Fats are a great source of energy too. Nuts, olives beans. If you want to loose fat and keep muscle, excessive everyday - anything and mix it up. Don’t have to over do it.

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
I quit eating after noon. I eat what I want for breakfast and the same with lunch. I still drink 3 or 4 beers in the evening to unwind. I do about 15 minutes of yoga or some other exercise most evenings through the dark days of winter I am 52 and 6 ft tall and 189 lbs now. Down from 210. Works for me

Outlaw99

WKR
Losing weight is not a big deal if you’re committed. We’re all hunters here. Kill deer and elk, eat them, eat vegetables, eat eggs, brown rice, black beans. Don’t eat sugar, don’t drink sugar, don’t eat white bread, don’t drink alcohol. Exercise as much as you can, do things the hard way, be it taking the stairs, or parking far away in a parking lot, cut wood, split wood by hand. Cut and split wood by hand a bunch. Rinse and repeat. You’ll loose weight, get healthy, feel better, which over time will push you to train harder and eat cleaner. There’s no magic diet to solve this. If your committed, and want to truly make a lifestyle change, kill a bunch of stuff and eat it and don’t put garbage in your mouth

Anyone who thinks that pumping iron is going to keep you in good shape past the age of 35 should go to their local gym and see how many people aren't in shape.
Of all the absolute nonsense and bro-science bull I've read on the internet this absolutely takes the cake.
Do some research.

Bulldawg

WKR
You are going to lose some strength in the process of losing weight, that is the way it goes and cannot be avoided. Reason being when you lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit, your body will then start taking its storage to burn for energy. So as you are burning fat and losing weight, you have to see that there is not energy leftover to fuel the muscles to build and grow. It is a process and it takes a long time, but you need to lose the weight THEN start worrying about muscle growth and strength.

But as far as losing weight, it is very simple, just gotta put in the work. Wrestlers have a bad reputation but nobody is better at manipulating their weight better, and it’s because of discipline, and knowing you don’t have a choice, gotta make the weight. And these are guys that a lot of times don’t have a lot of weight to lose, but time and time again you’ll see guys that come in Monday and have to lose 10-20 pounds by Saturday morning 7:00 am. If you truly want to lose the weight, don’t give yourself an option, don’t do a diet and hope the weight comes off, make it come off. Set deadlines, check your weight consistently and be accountable. Make goals and write the, down somewhere you have to see them everyday. Take a dry erase marker and write on your mirror checkpoints, on the first of every month be 10 pounds lighter than the month prior and cross it off when you get there. Don’t wake up and say dang I missed it by two pounds, be like, s*** now I gotta go run with the sweats on for an hour to get this off. If you make yourself lose the weight you will lose it. Will you be hungry? Absolutely, your body is craving the calories that you normally give it, but you don’t need them. Is it hard? Yeah might be the hardest thing you ever do. You will be amazed at what the body can do though and you’ll realize what little levers you can start to pull to manipulate your weight.

If you make the decision to lose the weight you can do it just have to have discipline. If you want help and want a plan I can help you out and put a plan together that will make you lose weight and then we can start worring about strength, just send me a pm.

Thanks for all the info guys,I'm pretty good when it comes to the types of workouts or exercise i should be doing my main thing is the lbs and dropping them. I have lost lbs by jogging simply but that also comes at a cost with strength loss and that's not my goal. My goal is to drop the lbs but at the same time maintaining the strength i need to do what needs to be done.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
There's nothing that will get you into the shape you need to be in better than doing what you want to do but with added resistance.

Lots of guys suggest pumping it in the gym and lots against it.

I suggest doing as close to your mission hikes plus a loaded pack as often as possible. I have a partner who's a beast, super strong and has a ton of muscle mass....but he's lame in the woods. He has to stop and eat every 30 seconds and if we get pinned down on a climb and he can't eat 42 eggs, a chicken and a pound of powder....he bonks and is a whiner.

I suggest middle of the road, train for how you hunt type workouts if that's your goal. If you have a look you need to fulfill, or a goal that is unachievable without a weight rack...Rock on, but if being a better hunter is your goal....train to hunt and add some cardio.

You'll be a badass by next year.

FLAK

WKR
There's nothing that will get you into the shape you need to be in better than doing what you want to do but with added resistance.

Lots of guys suggest pumping it in the gym and lots against it.

I suggest doing as close to your mission hikes plus a loaded pack as often as possible. I have a partner who's a beast, super strong and has a ton of muscle mass....but he's lame in the woods. He has to stop and eat every 30 seconds and if we get pinned down on a climb and he can't eat 42 eggs, a chicken and a pound of powder....he bonks and is a whiner.

I suggest middle of the road, train for how you hunt type workouts if that's your goal. If you have a look you need to fulfill, or a goal that is unachievable without a weight rack...Rock on, but if being a better hunter is your goal....train to hunt and add some cardio.

You'll be a badass by next year.

LOL!!! 42 eggs and a chicken!!!!!

Few years back I started jogging, got up to about 10 miles/week.
And eating nothing but salad and fish. Lost 23 lbs. Could not sustain
that, and was the most miserable I've ever been . Hurt all over, irritable.
Just wasn't worth it.