Dieting.....

Ok so I'm 36 years young and 5,9 242lb and not a obese looking 242 but it shows, i want to get to 200 need some guidance and direction from you guys on here.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Im not an expert but I am down 112 lbs in 2 years. And i stay at holiday inn express sometimes.

First it's a math equation. Calories in minus calories out. Make that a net negative and that's step 1.

There are lots of nuances and some calories are better than others.

Start by tracking your calories using a program. I use mynetdiary. That will teach you a lot about your calorie intake.

I set a goal weight and calculated how many calories it would take to maintain that. Then I set that as my daily calorie goal. Then I removed sugar from coffee, eliminated starchy snacks. My snacks now are either proteins or raw vegetables. My meals focus on proteins and vegetables with a single serving of carbs at dinner. Most days I am under 2000 calories.

Finally, add in some exercise. Up until my surgery last week I did cardio 6 days per week and lifted weights 3 days per week. After surgery, my doc said I should walk as much as I can, so I am.

In the end, it's an equation. It's not linear, but it is close. Start by getting it to a negative number and then adjust from there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bl704

WKR
Similar story to silverbullet...at age 50 I was pushing 240 (5' 9"). I've been able to keep around 175-185 (lower weight going into elk season) now for about 2.5 years. Diet and exercise.

I cut out or greatly reduced high carb foods like breads, rice, sweets, alcohol, etc. Originally I used a food tracker with a calorie restrictive diet (something like paleo merged with primal diet) - meats, lots of veg, very little fruit, eggs, nuts, etc.

For the exercise, I started with steps...just get 10k/day. A cheap Fitbit helped me track. Later I increased cardio (elliptical, treadmill, jogging, pack training) and later added strength training.

A few other nuggets that helped me:
Set interim goals and small rewards.

Set a final target and reward. For me it was top take up elk hunting (at age 50).

Don't deprive yourself if you want a beer or dessert fine (i.e. Friday is my pizza day)...just ramp up the exercise to burn those calories.

If you have friends with similar goals use an app to compare (Fitbit, strada, etc). We are competitive and it's fun to beat your buddy by a couple thousand steps/miles in a day/week/month. The accountability helps too. Similarly getting into a workout group (not a chat fest) works here too.

Good luck!

Similar story to silverbullet...at age 50 I was pushing 240 (5' 9"). I've been able to keep around 175-185 (lower weight going into elk season) now for about 2.5 years. Diet and exercise.

I cut out or greatly reduced high carb foods like breads, rice, sweets, alcohol, etc. Originally I used a food tracker with a calorie restrictive diet (something like paleo merged with primal diet) - meats, lots of veg, very little fruit, eggs, nuts, etc.

For the exercise, I started with steps...just get 10k/day. A cheap Fitbit helped me track. Later I increased cardio (elliptical, treadmill, jogging, pack training) and later added strength training.

A few other nuggets that helped me:
Set interim goals and small rewards.

Set a final target and reward. For me it was top take up elk hunting (at age 50).

Don't deprive yourself if you want a beer or dessert fine (i.e. Friday is my pizza day)...just ramp up the exercise to burn those calories.

If you have friends with similar goals use an app to compare (Fitbit, strada, etc). We are competitive and it's fun to beat your buddy by a couple thousand steps/miles in a day/week/month. The accountability helps too. Similarly getting into a workout group (not a chat fest) works here too.

Good luck!

This is along the same lines as what I did except I would run . Carb cycling has worked for me , and reward’s or some people call them cheat meals are a must. I stay around #195-200 now

bsnedeker

WKR
Since we are sharing: I'm down 60 pounds since this last April. I'm 6'2", was 240, now I'm at 180 (178 as of this morning). Bottom line: consume less than you burn. I did go on an extremely low-carb diet to start, stopped drinking alcohol, and started hitting the treadmill religiously. When I was in serious diet mode I was taking in 8-900 calories per day and losing about 4 pounds per week. I would not recommend this as I found myself light-headed quite often and I'm sure it is extremely unhealthy to lose weight that fast. I wanted to shed pounds quickly before my archery hunt in September so I was extremely motivated, and maybe not that smart!

At this point I probably still have another 10-15 pounds to go before I'm down to what I would consider a "lean weight" but I'm doing that much more slowly. I'm up to about 1500 calories per day now and still losing about 1 pound per week on average. I try to stay away from overly refined foods (sugars and starches) but I do eat a LOT of fruit so I have a pretty varied diet at this point. Beer is now only for special occasions instead of a daily ritual.

Track what you eat (and be honest about it!), and keep hitting the gym. There is no magical solution unfortunately!

Man - controlling the insidious creep of weight gain is the hardest thing. I honestly don't know how to do it. I mean, I know what it takes, but I don't know how to make it through a day starving myself. My work depends on my brain and thinking, and if I'm hungry, I cannot concentrate.

I'm 48, 5'11' and 220-225, depending on when I ate and when I took a dump. I should probably be 190, but I'd be happy with just 200. 175 is a dream. Here's the problem, I can eat and drink just about anything I want, and I never seem to really gain weight. I can also starve myself and not seem to lose it. But 20 years down the road, and I'm carrying 20-25 pounds more than I should be. Right in my gut/torso.

Exercise. How to find the time? Between work and the commute, I'm out of the house 12 hours a day. Then its helping with kids or other stuff around the house until their out and I might get to actually veg from 8:30 PM til 10PM. Up again at 5 or 6 depending.

I salute you guys that have the determination and focus to change. I haven't and I'm not sure that I ever will.

I haven't and I'm not sure that I ever will.

That's an important step. Decision is huge. I know that because for decades I chose not to. I feel like I've made the choice to keep it in control, but it's a choice every day. Some days I fail, but my bad days are not really that bad. (2500 calories) as long as they are not constant.

Brain function has much to do with what you eat. The brain likes sugars and you have to give it some. But it probably doesn't need as much as it is getting.

Everyone's body creates some kind of equilibrium based on diet. Sodas, alcohol, sweets, snacks all contribute to where we are at. Don't starve yourself. Make small changes. Black coffee, no soda (diet ornregular) and eat some raw vegetables. Take your kids for a 20 minute walk each night. It'll burn some of their energy and some of your calories. Do that consistently for a month or two and you'll be a few pounds lighter.

The commute is a killer. I don't commute anymore. I can't help you with that unless you move. Try working out before you head home. Commute might be better later.

When I weighed 313 lbs I never thought I ate that bad. I breakfast burrito for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, dinner with protein, vegetable and starch. The reality is that I ate enough calories to create a weight equilibrium at 313lbs.

bsnedeker

WKR
Totally agree with Silverbullet. You have to make a conscious decision and you have to stick by it. In order to do that you have to have a REASON. For me, the reason should be obvious to anyone on this board: I want to be able to hunt hard mountain terrain and I want to be able to do it well into my 60's or even 70's if I'm lucky. I didn't grow up hunting so I feel like I've missed out on a huge opportunity so I'm trying to make up for that in my middle-age.

I will tell you that hunting last year at 240 and hunting this year at 180 the experiences were worlds apart in regards to what I was physically capable of in the field. For me that is enough to keep me motivated to eat right and exercise.

You mentioned that you don't have time to veg until 8:30-10:00 per night....that's where you can start to win. I'm in the same boat as you, and that is the time that I hit the treadmill every other night. I promise you, when you are laying on your death-bed surrounded by your loved ones you will NOT say to yourself "Man, I wish I had spent more time watching TV".

Wrench

WKR
I quit carbs and sugar period. I dumped 115 pounds in 9 months. The hard part was the first month....then its easy.

Just don't expect instant results and remember that you get what you give.

Bl704

WKR
I'i've dabbled with HIIT during commercials... but it's too easy to get in veg mode.

For me, 4:30am wake up, work out while listening to podcasts, shower them work. I used to do everything workouts.

Carve out some time for workouts and start making diet changes. Keep away it for a month and it'll be a new habit.

My 1st post on this site. I’ll introduce myself later in the appropriate spot, but I joined here for just such a thread. At 61 I’m finally thinking it’s now or never for that sheep hunt I always wanted. I’ve dieted and worked out my whole life. The overweight thing is a family curse that I decided was ending with me.
So, I’ve done every diet known to man. The ones that cut out bad carbs, sugar, starch and alcohol(all the good stuff) all work under various names. Pick one. Right now I’m doing intermittent fasting and loving it. Look up the Jimmy Kimmel 5-2 diet. There’s lots written on it. In a nutshell, you eat 600 calories 2 days a week and normally (read that as healthy normal, not gorging) 5 days. My main love of this diet is because on each of the fasting days I can just look to tomorrow and know I will eat healthy but not deprived. Mentally it’s the best routine I’ve ever been on. Good luck. Get your head into it and the weight will come off.

Bubdog

FNG
My work depends on my brain and thinking, and if I'm hungry, I cannot concentrate.
QUOTE]

Start trying intermittent fasting on the weekends. Once you begin to get used to it, it will increase your focus. Sometimes I get to work at 6 and can go til 1pm before I eat and never have hunger bother me as long as I drink plenty of water.

I live in GA and started fasting on the mornings I deer hunt. I enjoy the morning hunt without eating before the hunt. I feel like I am more alert and haven't had to climb down from the stand yet to go the bathroom.

OP
Bigfootcali
Thanks for all the info guys,I'm pretty good when it comes to the types of workouts or exercise i should be doing my main thing is the lbs and dropping them. I have lost lbs by jogging simply but that also comes at a cost with strength loss and that's not my goal. My goal is to drop the lbs but at the same time maintaining the strength i need to do what needs to be done.

Thanks for all the info guys,I'm pretty good when it comes to the types of workouts or exercise i should be doing my main thing is the lbs and dropping them. I have lost lbs by jogging simply but that also comes at a cost with strength loss and that's not my goal. My goal is to drop the lbs but at the same time maintaining the strength i need to do what needs to be done.

Nutrition, cardio, weights or resistance exercises.

Bl704

WKR

Mtntough