Shoes for training

LostArra

WKR
I lift 3-4 days a week.
Tabata-type workouts on indoor bike.
I'm 66 years old.
I've had plantar fasciitis but have fully recovered three years ago.

I like some cushioning but a solid base for squats, deadlifts and cleans.

Is there a good solid workout shoe for weight training, some intense cardio and some low intensity cardio (walking without weighted pack)? Provides some cushion but solid support.
I use my hunting boots for pack training.

Thanks

Cushion and solid support are polar opposites
If you have a good ankle mobility the best shoe's to lift in are flats like Converse Chuck Taylors.
I have super wide feet. I lift in New Balance Minimus Trail 10v1
I do all of my summer walking and light laden hiking in the Minimus Trail 10v1's as well.

If you don't have good ankle mobility you might want to look into an Olympic lifting shoe or hybrid type shoe like the Reebok Crosstrainer's
Amazon.com: Reebok Men's Lifter Pr Cross-trainer Shoe: Shoes

I've had Plantar Fasciitis as well. I keep it at bay by training my calves and lower leg muscles in all directions a few times a week.

JWM

FNG
Take a look at CrossFit shoes. I like the Nike Metcons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have dedicated lifting shoes for squats and olympic lifts. They have raised heels that help with mobility, and stiff soles for efficient energy transfer. Deadlift I like to do barefoot. Stay away from anything with cushioning for heavy barbell lifts.

For anything else like metcons or trail runs I prefer a shoe with zero heel drop- personally using Merrell Trail Gloves at the moment.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is not a shoe out there that does both of the things you want. I would by lifters for your Olympic lifts and a cross fit shoe for your other stuff.

nrothfus

FNG
Coach Chris is spot on. For the heavy leg lifts, cushioned shoes are not good. I also use Converse Chuck Taylors. If you don't like how soft these are in the sole, I've also used indoor soccer shoes. Same concept as the Chucks, just a bit stiffer sole so you don't feel everything under your feet so much.

@LostArra you can Aldo consider going barefoot in your strength lifts. I've found dead lifting and squatting barefoot to be just as ideal when training submaximally. On the other hand, if you're hitting maximal loads or doing cleans, a lifting shoe is crucial.