Confused old guy at the gym

Hi all. I decided it’s time to begin working out so I went to the gym today. Problem is I’m confused as heck. A little background. I’m 61yrs old, 6’3”, 235lbs. I was a star athlete what feels like 3 lifetimes ago and worked out constantly. Adulthood hit and that all changed. I continued to periodically workout, completing P90X twice, among other routines, but always falling victim to a too busy work schedule and sliding back to bad eating habits and no workouts.

Today I walked into the gym and was amazed at the changes since back in the day. I will admit I was also a bit intimidated. My goal is to be overall more fit, heart/lungs/legs, the things we use most in hunting. I’d prefer to not weight lift due to 2 bad shoulders and a bad back from years of abuse as a concrete contractor. If weights are truly recommended and necessary I’d absolutely do my best and work within my abilities.

I got on 3 machines today, the elliptical, the treadmill and a bike, doing 20 minutes on each with a 2 minute rest between each. I’d get up to max HR, back it down for a bit and keep repeating till the time was up. Here’s my major confusion which I’m hoping for help with. What to do tomorrow and so on? I’ve been reading threads here for 2 days and my head is spinning. Do I do more of the same tomorrow and each day, maybe just rotating in different machines? Do I lift tomorrow if that’s needed(all of my reading on here indicates it is needed)? Do I switch to a program of lifting and cardio on the same day rather than rotating days.

There appear to be some super athletes on here who offer great advice. Keeping in mind I’m 61, got any help for me? Thank, Bob

Assuming you are working out specifically for hunting season you have a long time to prepare. Assuming you are starting from a low level of fitness, why not start with 3 days a week of cardio - elliptical, treadmill and bike are fine as long as they can keep you interest. But, focus on real cardio where you keep your heart rate much lower than max HR. It can be frustrating to start super slow, but it will pay off and you won't be as tired tomorrow. Then, instead of traditional weights why not substitute with body weight exercises. Or, you could throw in some light kettlebell or sandbag work. But, keep in mind to add reps and mass slowly.

Last, it can't be fixed at the gym but consider getting a little help on the nutrition front. Maybe do a good cleaning of the refrigerator and pantry to restock with other choices.

OP
Ariettabob
I’m confused by the “real cardio” part. I have read something about that in the past but dismissed it, wrongly I guess. I made the assumption that going “all out” was better than holding back. I’ll look into it again, thanks.

Everyone will end up with a different plan.

I do weights and cardio. As far as cardio I do endurance and high intensity on separate days.

I'm recovering from surgery as well so I'm off my game and can only do low intensity exercise. I walk a lot.

Before surgery I ran 3 days a week; 4 miles, 5 miles and 6 miles. On the other days I did a bowflex max trainer using their max program which is a shorter burst followed by a lower intensity rest period.

Find some stuff you like and then vary it a few days a week. Rowing machines as hard as you can to 1000 meters then a 30 second rest and go again. Stair climbers, ellipticals, etc. Also, treadmills on max incline works you a lot harder than you think it will.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not as old as you, I'm only 60 :D

I think 3 days of cardio and a day or two of body weight exercises would be a good start. I agree to start out slowly, and very gradually pick up pace and distance. Trails whether hiking or running is what would recommend. Trails are easier on the body as well as increasing balance, building up accessory muscles/ligaments/tendons and your core. Cross training is fine (bikes/rowers/swimming/etc), but for hunting I would concentrate more effort on your feet and specifically on/off the trails.

Once you get a base built, consider adding in a day of more focused effort i.e. hill repeats, carrying a pack, etc

For added motivation, join our WOD thread :)

Good luck!

OP
Ariettabob
Thank you Coach. Much appreciated. I just downloaded the 2 kindle editions. I went with a body weight core routine today while I do more research.

wesfromky

WKR
I am also not as old as you, but have a few body parts that are sorta fragile due to past activities / abuse. So the last year or so I have made the concept of prehab a major component of my workouts. It might be worth looking into something like a mobility wod / prehab workout to help you transition back into some strength training.

OP
Ariettabob
Thanks Wes. I’ve never heard of a prehab so I’ll look i to it. Turns out there’s so much I don’t know. I’ll get there

Fatcamp

WKR
Someone told me once that the P90X stuff is solid.

I really like yoga. I should do it all the time. I started the 30 Day series today if you need a battle buddy. For yoga. :p

Fatcamp

WKR
The link I posted takes you to a YouTube series.

The New Hushin video has Ryan Callaghan doing yoga on a dirt road in Wyoming. :)

*zap*

WKR
You might try packing weight for cardio. Start lighter and build up every 3-4 hikes adding more weight. Trails would be more difficult because of more difficult footing issues.....but you can do a mix of road and trail or all road until your ready for trail.

Step ups are great for hips as are deep body weight squats but you want to keep the form good, should be a pt at the gym to line you out.

As you age hip/core strength becomes an important issue. I am 62.

Just keep at it and steel your will for the long haul because it may take a while to get to a very good overall physical condition at an older age but the general quality of life improvements are certainly well worth it.

If you can access an indoor pool then swim a few times a week. My gym chain has an indoor salt water pool in the town where I live and its awesome...also good for sinuses in winter when the overall indoor humidity may be very low and sinuses suffer from that.

Good luck and keep at it...1% improvement per workout can add up fast.

The other thing I will add is that sometimes shoulder issues are from an impingement, that is something that can be corrected with isometric band exercises. a year or so ago if I laid flat on my back my shoulders would hurt.....I started a iso band routine and fixed it, went on to flat benching 90# dumbbells for reps in full range of motion (touch chest to fully extended) and no shoulder pain as of today. Just food for thought.

Last edited: