Big Game Fitness Assessment

I like the stuff that MTI puts out. I saw their latest "Backcountry Big Game Hunting Fitness Assessment" and thought it might be worth sharing here. It is a bit intimidating - it will take an afternoon to complete. But, I guess knowing where I stand on an objective scale would be good for planning future training.

Backcountry Big Game Hunting Fitness Assessment - Mountain Tactical Institute

Is anyone ready to post their results? (OK, maybe after the holidays.)

There is no general set of standards to determine individual readiness for hunting. There are just entirely too many random and unpredictable variables.
There's absolutely no way to determine your readiness for hunting inside a gym. Any recommended standards are purely arbitrary at best.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
Chris,
I would agree, those standards, or any gym standards, are arbitrary.
But that doesn't mean it's not a good metric to test yourself against, compare your results to others, and try to improve for next year.

Combat has even more random and unpredictable variables. Impossible to say a particular strength standard is "good enough".
That doesn't stop the Marines from testing with the PFT and CFT. The Rangers still do the RPFT.

Still useful to know where you stand physically and compare that to others that have been successful in your chosen field.

DavePwns

WKR
Finally, I've been looking for something of this nature. However I wish they wouldn't have had bench press in there and done something else, like a single arm kettlebell clean and press, but then again not many people would know that movement.

Seems like a good way to find your strengths and weaknesses no doubt, and one heck of a workout.

Chris,
I would agree, those standards, or any gym standards, are arbitrary.
But that doesn't mean it's not a good metric to test yourself against, compare your results to others, and try to improve for next year.

Combat has even more random and unpredictable variables. Impossible to say a particular strength standard is "good enough".
That doesn't stop the Marines from testing with the PFT and CFT. The Rangers still do the RPFT.

Still useful to know where you stand physically and compare that to others that have been successful in your chosen field.
Fitness is highly specific to task.
A bunch of random nonsense in the gym will tell you nothing about your fitness for the mountains.
If you want to see how ready you are for hunting by comparison have a rucking contest with your buddies