Ketogenic meal plans - What do you do in the backcountry?

DEW0341

WKR
Using fats for fuel instead of carbs is much less efficient???? Please elaborate on this science based assumption

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to see everyone talking about this....Keto. I've been doing it now for a little over a year. Down approximately 70lbs and feel better than I ever have. Long story short, poor diet over many years and a doctor that wanted me to take medicine forced me to research this. It truly is a game changer. Last year was my first hunting season on the diet/lifestyle, no issues. DEW0341 if you want more information about the science behind this (as I did) send me a message and I'll give you a website that will point you in the right direction.

It just seems a little counter-productive to try and go keto while on a backpacking hunt... I can see not wanting to spoil your diet, but even in ketosis using fats for fuel instead of carbohydrates is much less effiecent for energy. Unless your a very sedinatary hunter (which I doubt), I can't see you gaining any bodyfat while on your hunt. I know for me I typically loose between 1-2 lbs a day on my backcountry hunts, and that's with eating as much calorie dense food as I can possible pack in. I guess if the rationale is to not shock your body by changing food sources, I can buy that. However going keto year round, then switching to a balanced carb intake while hunting, then back to keto once your home. Should be optimal for performance.. Just my 2cents...

It's not about spoiling my diet or worrying about gaining or losing weight. Since I've been on a ketogenic diet for a long time, my body is not used to carbs. If I eat a bunch of carbs now, I feel shitty and tired after. If you ever got off of the glucose roller coaster that most people live on you'd understand what I mean by that. Our bodies store energy from both carbohydrates and fats as fat. Carbohydrates are either used for energy short term, or stored as fat. Our bodies don't have a way to convert fat back to carbohydrates. So 3 hours after eating carbs, you feel shitty, tired, and hungry for more carbs. I don't want that in my daily life, and I certainly don't want that in my hunt. I can and have gone up to 5 days without eating anything with little discomfort, because my body just seamlessly transitions from fueling off the fat that I eat to fueling off the fat that is stored.

fittohunt

FNG
Using fats for fuel instead of carbs is much less efficient???? Please elaborate on this science based assumption

The body "wants" to use glucose for fuel over fat (stored or free in the bloodstream). Which is why it will always use glucose, when both are present in the body. It CAN adapt to converting fat for energy when in a carbohydrate deficency (ketosis), but it's preference is to store fats for hormonal conversion and use the glucose as fuel for activity. Also, you must consider that carbohydrates are protein sparing. Which means they will help recovery from intense resistance activity. (like hiking inclines with a heavy pack).

Now, I'm not knocking keto as a diet. Not at all. It can be a very healthy lifestyle, and a great way to control bodyfat. And, I have used it many times as a former competitve bodybuilder to get extremely lean for contests. However, it is far from ideal from an athletic performance stand-point. With that being said, the OP's point about being on keto for years and not wanting to switch for a hunt to avoid any sort of crash or digestive problems, makes perfect sense. 100%. Just keep in mind that if you're comparing a backcountry hunt to some sort of athletic event (which I do), then you would want to include carbs in your diet to "maximize" performance. Doesn't mean that you can't kick ass, and tear up the mountain on keto. It's just not "optimal"

ryeguy14

FNG
You gents have any links to learn how to start a ketogenic diet? I've been googling and am really interested in trying something but I need a certain amount of carbs to function at work (I'm a firefighter), just not sure what that amount should be.
Id check out Science Based Sixpack abs. Its a comb of intermittent fasting and keto diet

BWBOW

FNG
Just packed for my 9 days in
Each day is same food
1 pack. 10 beefstick. Zero carbs
1 pack homemade beef jerky. Zero carbs
1 bag walnut/ peacans mix. 2 net carbs
1 bag of peanut butter(this is smuckers natural. It has the lowest carb count of any peanut butter and has nothing but peanuts and salt) 9 net carbs
3 keto bars 7 net carbs total for all 3 bars

So I'm staying around 20 carbs a day
1 day meals is a bit heavier then a couple mt house. But I don't have to carry in fuel and cup and jetboil

Side note. Each day is put in its own bag for ease inside the bag is also a floss/toothpick teeth cleaner thing. No meat in teeth bothering me
3c1f3b0ab0711deaf95e95501acd1bd4.jpg
7f9f34e315c585ba617ffdabb04ed68d.jpg
01868836d285c538844326ed825a4609.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

jhubbz

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of keto bars do you have?l
Just packed for my 9 days in
Each day is same food
1 pack. 10 beefstick. Zero carbs
1 pack homemade beef jerky. Zero carbs
1 bag walnut/ peacans mix. 2 net carbs
1 bag of peanut butter(this is smuckers natural. It has the lowest carb count of any peanut butter and has nothing but peanuts and salt) 9 net carbs
3 keto bars 7 net carbs total for all 3 bars

So I'm staying around 20 carbs a day
1 day meals is a bit heavier then a couple mt house. But I don't have to carry in fuel and cup and jetboil

Side note. Each day is put in its own bag for ease inside the bag is also a floss/toothpick teeth cleaner thing. No meat in teeth bothering me
3c1f3b0ab0711deaf95e95501acd1bd4.jpg
7f9f34e315c585ba617ffdabb04ed68d.jpg
01868836d285c538844326ed825a4609.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jhubbz

Lil-Rokslider
This may belong in another keto thread, but do any of y'all take a daily multivitamin?

bsnedeker

WKR
Any feedback?

They are awesome! i'm not on a keto diet, but these still appealed to me. I've tried the Chicken and broccoli, the beef tacos, and the meatball marinara (this one is friggin delicoius!).

They take very little water to rehydrate and taste great, highly recommended!

Nalgene

Lil-Rokslider
If you are burning enough calories you will stay in Ketosis, regardless of what you eat. Earn your carbs.

jhubbz

Lil-Rokslider
The meals were great. I had the tacos and chicken and brocolli. They tasted like real food. I'd recommend them over Mountain House or the like.

Wrench

WKR
I'm 9 months in on a cheat free keto diet. I run a ton of cheese sticks, jerky, nuts, squeeze tube loaded with peanut butter, via coffee, quest bars and mountain house scrambled eggs and bacon. If I'm close to camp, I'll toss in a few hotdogs for simplicity.

It's not very diverse, but my results have been AMAZING. I dumped over 100# and went from that fat guy that moves at 65% speed but with great endurance to a mountain gazelle.