Wod

Poser

WKR
I did a 10k trail run today and finished in 54 minutes. I felt every burpees and thruster from yesterday's 14.5 workout.

I did 8 miles with 50 lbs the next day and, believe me, I was feeling those thrusters, too. In fact, here it is Monday morning, an hour before my Xfit class and my hips are still a bit sore.....

OP
Brandon Pattison
Saturday I took the day off to rest and had a birthday party. Yesterday I just spent the day licking my wounds.

Today:
50 pullups
50 pushups
50 boxjumps
50 40# single arm clean and press
14 flights of stairs

I gotta try the 14.5!!!

Made this one up last week and really like it, I don't time myself like I used to, but I push myself...ill be doing it again today.

10 Thrusters @ 95
5 Pullups
10 Hang Snatch @ 95
10 Push ups

Works really well when the gym gets crowded and you dont have a lot of space, full body workout for sure.

OP
Brandon Pattison
Made this one up last week and really like it, I don't time myself like I used to, but I push myself...ill be doing it again today.

10 Thrusters @ 95
5 Pullups
10 Hang Snatch @ 95
10 Push ups

Works really well when the gym gets crowded and you dont have a lot of space, full body workout for sure.

What's a hanging snatch?

mohawk32

Lil-Rokslider
Saturday I took the day off to rest and had a birthday party. Yesterday I just spent the day licking my wounds.

Today:
50 pullups
50 pushups
50 boxjumps
50 40# single arm clean and press
14 flights of stairs

I gotta try the 14.5!!!

Careful with high rep box jumps. That's a great way to make your achilles explode.

Poser

WKR
Here was today's WOD:

15 minutes, increasing weight with 60 seconds rest between sets:

3 Hang cleans + 1 push Jerk

For time:
400 meter run
40 hand release push ups
30 single arm Kettlebell Lunges (15 L, 15 R) 16/24 kg
20 Power Cleans 75/95
30 Hand release push ups
20 Kettlebell lunges
10 Power cleans
400 Meter run

I did in 18:21. It was me and a room full of firefighters, most of them beat me and did heavier weights. The freakin' second set of pushups slowed me way down.

What's a hanging snatch?

It's when you go from the hang position (holding the bar w/the bar near your waist) then you explode pulling the bar up and over your head while dropping under the bar to a arms locked position. You use a wider grip, I have my index fingers on the rings of most bars. A video will show you exactly what I mean. I'm sure you could find a bunch on youtube. Its a tough movement to master so might want to start slow. I warm up with a womens #25 bar, then work my way up to make sure my shoulders are totally warm. You could always sub hang-cleans instead, similiar muscle groups worked.

Lawnboi

WKR
Here was today's WOD:

15 minutes, increasing weight with 60 seconds rest between sets:

3 Hang cleans + 1 push Jerk

For time:
400 meter run
40 hand release push ups
30 single arm Kettlebell Lunges (15 L, 15 R) 16/24 kg
20 Power Cleans 75/95
30 Hand release push ups
20 Kettlebell lunges
10 Power cleans
400 Meter run

I did in 18:21. It was me and a room full of firefighters, most of them beat me and did heavier weights. The freakin' second set of pushups slowed me way down.

Copied this today. But instead of the hang cleans to start I did front squats heavy.

Finished in 17:44. Lunges killed me after doing heavy front squats

OP
Brandon Pattison
I just tried to do a 14.5. Made it to 6, 6 and 3. I am as coordinated as a square rock. I am going to blame it on working out already today. I did some other stuff that I was capable of. I'm a puss!

OP
Brandon Pattison
How many of you hard chargers run 3-4 days a week? The reason I ask is does running take away from your ability to do these man-killer workouts or am I just an old puss?

Poser

WKR
How many of you hard chargers run 3-4 days a week? The reason I ask is does running take away from your ability to do these man-killer workouts or am I just an old puss?

You do have to balance your running carefully. I run about 3-4 days a week right now. One long slow run midweek and other variations of shorter runs splitting the days with workouts. The main problem I have right now is that my legs are almost always sore, if not entirely cooked, when I run meaning that I'm not performing optimally (slower times, shorter distances, sometimes to the point of frustration.) However, when I take a couple of days off from lifting and run with fresh legs, I feel great and perform well.

I feel like this trains me to push through muscle depletion, but it's a fine line with not overtraining. Tossing an turning in bed all night with screaming muscles is a terrible feeling.

Last edited:
OP
Brandon Pattison
Poser,

Hike or run 8 miles @ 50#?

I too have sleeping issues. Its like a mild form of the flu. I groan like my dog waking myself up.

Poser

WKR
Poser,

Hike or run 8 miles @ 50#?

I too have sleeping issues. Its like a mild form of the flu. I groan like my dog waking myself up.

That was a hike. I don't ever run with that kind of weight. And I know the "groan" of which you speak. Its terrible....

tstowater

WKR
I'm not sure whether I should be impressed or terrified by some of these WOD's. Our Y just started offering Xfit 2 weeks ago with foundations and last week was the first week of class. Sore as hell both weeks and actually feeling better everyday. So far, great workout and hopefully in a couple weeks will be looking forward to the pain even more. At 51, this isn't as easy as it would be in your 20's or 30's. I'm not planning on any 14's in the near future as I don't think my body wants that kind of abuse.

Poser

WKR
April 1st

Strength:
Front Squat 1x5 80%, 1x3 85%, 2x3 90%, 1x3 95%

Metcon:
"Cindy"
20 minutes, as many rounds as possible

5 pullups
10 pushups
15 air squats