Any fitness goals for the new year🤙

fueling is tricky as it’s very individualized- what works for one doesn’t the other

I started with gels, didn’t work for me at all, then liquid calories (Heed and Perpteum), they worked OK, but longer events I would often suffer nausea; went to small cubes- shot blocks, worked OK but got sick of them, now (last couple of years) I’ve been sticking to a little more natural calories- mostly date based, so far so good

you’ll have to do a lot of experimenting with what, how much and how often :)

When you do your long runs, do you bring fuel along with you? Or do you try and run on a deficit to make a fueled run easier? I’ve been running at a deficit most every run so far because I’m barely taking in 1000 calories before my 6 pm run. I’m also going to switch to morning cardio, which means fasted cardio. I’m very nervous about injury, as I had an issue with my right quad for the last 6 months that just cleared up. I am hoping that proper fueling and continuing to hit the weight room once a week will keep me injury free

BKhunter

WKR
I'm currently weighing in at 163 so I would like to add 5-10 pounds of muscle and lose a little body fat. My goal is to hit a 300 pound back squat, I'm currently at 265. 2019 I have a goal of running the NYC marathon, but that sure as hell isn't happening this year.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
When you do your long runs, do you bring fuel along with you? Or do you try and run on a deficit to make a fueled run easier? I’ve been running at a deficit most every run so far because I’m barely taking in 1000 calories before my 6 pm run. I’m also going to switch to morning cardio, which means fasted cardio. I’m very nervous about injury, as I had an issue with my right quad for the last 6 months that just cleared up. I am hoping that proper fueling and continuing to hit the weight room once a week will keep me injury free

I bring fuel on all of my long runs (basically anything over two hours)- for me about 50-75 calories every half hour works just about right. I try to drink water regularly (but not excessively) and depending on temps an electrolyte every 1-1.5 hours. You’ll still be running at a deficit as you can’t consume all the calories you’re burning- well you could, but would probably be puking :D. I try to go into my long runs with my normal breakfast under my belt (and an ample supper the evening before), probably 500-ish calories for breakfast.

I find hitting the gym a couple times a week for weight training, helps my running- besides I like it.

Knocked out my first “long” run this past Saturday. Got in 8 Miles at a 10min 30 sec pace. Yes, I know it’s slow. I hope to build further and further and be able to pick up the pace throughout the year

D_Eightch

WKR
Front Squat 405, Back Squat 465, Deadlift 585, Clean 355, Snatch 255

Ring Muscle Ups, Handstand Walks, HSPU and Butterfly Pullups will be the main focus for Gymnastics Movements.

Sub 7 minute mile, sub 8 minute pace 5k. (run more, run frequently)

Go into 2019 20# lighter

for me my training is based around wanting to be a better feeling person. Started the year off at 252lb! yikes!!! hit the scale yesterday and was 215. 4 days a week in the gym, working on mobility and proper lifting techniques being a main focus. a number of years of neglect and a few accidents from years past are haunting me now. Every ounce of food is being monitored and documented... good or bad. That alone has really helped me with changing my lifestyle... not just dieting. (i dont think they work unless you can stick with that diet) I will be better for my kids and wife. Getting my not so fat ass up that hill will be a bonus

jwatts

WKR
I'm shooting for over 1200 miles running this year. I hit 1200 last year, so I gotta beat that. Also I plan to run another marathon, a long trail run (25 or 50k), 2 half marathons, and a Tough Mudder. Otherwise I plan to get back on some sort of weight lifting program and hit 400lb on back squats this year. I hit 365 last year before I quit the weights to train for a marathon.

I did my first Tough Mudder a few weeks ago. It was a blast and I intend to do more OCRs. I am on track to beat 1200 miles for the year. I'm up to 330 so far. I still need to get in my 2 half marathons at some point. I'm sure I will will work a few in during marathon training later in the year. I've been running and doing interval training up til this point. Weight training starts today.

My only goal this year is to be able to run my 14 mile loop at work in under 2 hours. I want to achieve that the first week of August if I'm not busy on fires.

banishd

FNG
Front Squat 405, Back Squat 465, Deadlift 585, Clean 355, Snatch 255

Ring Muscle Ups, Handstand Walks, HSPU and Butterfly Pullups will be the main focus for Gymnastics Movements.

Sub 7 minute mile, sub 8 minute pace 5k. (run more, run frequently)

Go into 2019 20# lighter

Wow, thats like damn near world class fitness man. And you want to lose weight!?!? Do you pack out your elk whole on solo backpack hunts too? Way to go, super impressive.

D_Eightch

WKR
Wow, thats like damn near world class fitness man. And you want to lose weight!?!? Do you pack out your elk whole on solo backpack hunts too? Way to go, super impressive.

Setting the bar higher this year. Switched up the training last year and put a whole lot of weight on to all of my lifts, plan to do the same this year. I get to train with some pretty focused and fit individuals which has been awesome.

Haven't had the pleasure of packing out an elk yet! Just got into the western stuff last year, but llamas will more than likely be there to assist when the time comes! ;P

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
first quarter down a little behind the goals with all the crappy snow in February delaying my shed activities but elk shed hunting just started so hope to narrow the gap the next 3 months just don't want to overwork that crappy knee of mine:) 36k vertical and 83 miles that register before the monitor shuts down after 4 hours.

attachment.php

WRO

WKR
I decided I was tried of being a fat ass..

So I quit drinking, got serious on my work out schedule, and disciplined on my diet.

Joined a weight loss challenge at the gym..

And well my name is Ryan..
b0025fc217e64d4711cbdcfe8b4fe6dc.jpg

My goal is to lose 40lbs, I'm almost there.

I can now run 5 miles without stopping (from not running at all in 2017), do 45 minutes on the stair master with 65lbs in my kifaru.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

twall13

WKR
Fun to see everyone's goals as everyone is in a different place. Nothing crazy here but my goals are as follows:

Run over 700 Miles- 68 Miles down as of this morning.
Run 5 miles at a 7:45 minute/mile pace. Current best is 7:49 with average around 8:20.

My knees have been giving me problems (3 previous surgeries...) and I've been sick a couple of times so my first quarter results were not as good as I'd planned. I'm at 173.5 miles for the year so far but my pace has really slowed with the knee pain. I'm finally starting to work through the knee pain so hopefully I can start speeding up the pace over the next few months and have some improvements over the course of the 2nd quarter.

Fun thread to keep us accountable.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
13 weeks in (~25%) and I just broke 400 miles, below where I should be for 2000 miles, but I know I have some big weeks coming up over the summer, so still a chance (God willing of course :))

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
2nd day out elk shed hunting deep wet snow, rain and many miles but came out with a smile! nothing like pounding some ground to replicate a fall day.
attachment.php

attachment.php

JasonWi

WKR
I've decided this year to shift my focus away from the heavier weight training (300# +) and continue to build strength and endurance while trying to be as injury free as possible. I weight train 5x a week and I'm trying to get at least 30 minutes of cardio 4-6x a week.

Here are a few cardio based goals before elk season:

30,000 floors on the stair Matrix
500 miles on the elliptical
200 miles hiked

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
obviously strength training plays an important role in fitness, but for hunting I feel the same way- less emphasis on heavy lifting, more emphasis on aerobic training, particularly training that involves climbing/descending and even more particularly climbing/descending with some extra weight

nothing trumps specificity when it comes to training

I lost most of my excess weight last year. Down from 297 to 180.

Unrelated to the weight loss I spent 5 weeks in the hospital last year so I am still rebuilding from that.

This year I want to lose 5 more pounds while adding core strength and increasing my upper body strength.

I now run 12 miles a week and want to get that to 18 per week by the end of the year. I do other forms of cardio for interval training and spend 3 days a week on weights in the gym. I plan to add a weekly hike in the foothills with a 35lb pack to work on those muscles.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
Won 500.00 at the gyms weight loss challenge, down 44.7 in 90 days.

10 more and I'll be at my goal weight, I'm going to start jujitsu next month and I hope to run a half marathon by years end.
acfd4e491c0515342be30e9bb222d559.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk