Old Dog Looking For New Tricks

billy molls

Super Moderator
attachment.php

I'm 40 years old. With 20 years, and counting, of guiding in Alaska, exercising 5 days a week and watching what I eat and drink has become necessary. I've also come to accept that I need to do anything else I can to keep my body strong and functioning. I used to laugh at the guys (especially those many years younger than me) who toted around grocery bags of supplements and drink mixes. Until one afternoon, miles from camp, my sheep client gave me some of his MTN OPS Ignite. None of the guys I made fun of were there see it, so I drank it down. I couldn't deny the boost of energy it gave me. The next day I was asking him for more.

I've committed to using Ignite and several other MTN OPS products for this entire year; through my off-season for training, a month of brown bear hunting in May, and again in the fall for sheep, grizzly, caribou, moose, and brown bear hunting. I don't need to lose weight or build bulging biceps. I'm just looking to keep my body health, strong, and able to function in field.

Any products, tips, and results others would like share would be appreciated.

Good Hunting,
Billy

Last edited by a moderator:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'm subscribed to this one! This is gonna be good stuff Billy. I used to make fun of them too till I did the Yeti and my wife tried the Slumber, it works.

OP
B

billy molls

Super Moderator
I've been drinking MTN OPS "Keep Hammering" each morning with my workout. Definitely gives me the extra boost I need. Really liking this stuff.

Attachments

• MTNOPSBCAA.jpg
    MTNOPSBCAA.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 60

i count eye guards

Lil-Rokslider
I know MTN OPS is a sponsor here, and they spend a ton of time supporting hunting. Their products are very mediocre and literally twice the price of an equivalent product from one fo the big name fitness companies.

You can do better, and if you're going to be using as much as I do (5 scoops of protein per day, 4 scoops of BCAAs, 1 scoop of preworkout per day) you'll save hundreds of dollars per year.

Edit: just did the math. I'd spend $1,271 MORE per year just to use MTN OPS products which would be a significant step down in quality too. Hard pass.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
There are a lot of supplements I've stayed away from........too hard to know what you're actually getting and what you're doing to your liver and/or kidneys. However, I read these stories about guys trying some of this stuff and how they gained so much energy from them. At 52 I've never really lacked any energy yet, maybe coffee works as my Mountain Ops???? The only thing that slows me down is the bone-on-bone in my knees, but my mind does a pretty good job of telling them to shut the heck up and keep going.

Good luck with your test.

i count eye guards

Lil-Rokslider
There are a lot of supplements I've stayed away from........too hard to know what you're actually getting and what you're doing to your liver and/or kidneys. However, I read these stories about guys trying some of this stuff and how they gained so much energy from them. At 52 I've never really lacked any energy yet, maybe coffee works as my Mountain Ops???? The only thing that slows me down is the bone-on-bone in my knees, but my mind does a pretty good job of telling them to shut the heck up and keep going.

Good luck with your test.

Sports science has come a long ways in recent years. It's really not just about energy either - things like preventing lactic acid buildup, improving ADP, vasodialtion, stimulating GH response, and improving free testosterone. There are tons of products out there with extremely safe track records. The question is - how far do you want to push yourself?

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been drinking MTN OPS "Keep Hammering" each morning with my workout. Definitely gives me the extra boost I need. Really liking this stuff.

Hey Billy! What part of WI you in?

I've been using the MTN OPS for over the last year now. I do some updates and workout thoughts with them in the Elk forum on the different "Season" threads stickied at the top.

One thing I might suggest is to use the Cam BCAA's immediately post-workout. They are designed to aid in recovery and repair of the broken down muscles.

I would also highly suggest the new Hot Ignites in the morning. I HATE coffee with a passion, but that damn Mountain Mocha is like heaven!

Good luck buddy.

OP
B

billy molls

Super Moderator
Howdy Les, I'm from NW Sconnie, Turtle Lake. I see you're a Cheddarhead as well!

Thanks for the insight. The recovery just doesn't come as quick as it used to. I'll give it a shot.

Right now the drink of choice around the Molls' house is maple water. My daughters and I love it! They call it "God's Gatorade".
Cheers,

i count eye guards

Lil-Rokslider
With or without the supplements? Actually.......if I ever came to a point where I wasn't able to keep pushing myself, I'd probably consider something. "Pain is weakness leaving the body.":)

Truthfully, if you're out there pushing yourself you WILL plateau very quickly. If you aren't mindful with your supplements, you'll pleateau even quicker. There's a reason PEDs are so popular, they help push you through plateaus and beyond where your genetic equillibrium falls.

The point? If you aren't taking supps and never plateau, you aren't actually pushing yourself.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Howdy Les, I'm from NW Sconnie, Turtle Lake. I see you're a Cheddarhead as well!

Thanks for the insight. The recovery just doesn't come as quick as it used to. I'll give it a shot.

Right now the drink of choice around the Molls' house is maple water. My daughters and I love it! They call it "God's Gatorade".
Cheers,

Wow, little world! I'm just over an hour south of you in the Chippewa Falls area.

OP
B

billy molls

Super Moderator
New base camp staple

I about threw this stuff away after the first time drinking it because of the flavor, but after a days working out in the cold I now find myself craving it. I don't think I'll pack it into fly camps with me, but definitely leave it at airstrip base camps.

Attachments

• IMG_1144.jpg
    IMG_1144.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 50

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Billy, the Slumber tasted good to me (kinda reminded me of a light egg nog), but I didn't notice it helped me sleep any better. I drink it for the taste and to convince myself I'm winding down hahaha. My wife did notice the slumber helped her though.

Difference might lie in that I've always been a good sleeper, easy to fall asleep and stay asleep, but she's always struggled a bit.

OP
B

billy molls

Super Moderator
Time for some field testing

I've been using MTN OPS "Ignite" with my morning workouts, and find myself craving it during the afternoons that I'm more active. Anxious to put this stuff to use this spring chasing brown bears. Will update findings/results upon return.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've been using MTN OPS "Ignite" with my morning workouts, and find myself craving it during the afternoons that I'm more active. Anxious to put this stuff to use this spring chasing brown bears. Will update findings/results upon return.

I haven’t used Ignite. What’s it do for you?

Also, when do you leave for AK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

billy molls

Super Moderator
25 Days of In-field Use...

I used the Ignite Hot Cider Mix and Ignite individual drink mix sachets daily during spring brown bear season on the Alaska Peninsula.

The Hot Cider was great during the cold, wet 14-hour days of glassing. I typically get tired of glassing and take a nap most afternoons, but I never felt tired during the day. My hunters and I noticed a significant improvement in focus. Because I rarely consume "energy drinks" I'm typically very sensitive to them; neither I nor my hunters every felt jittery. That said, I mixed both the Hot Cider and regular Ignite at half strength.

Brown bear hunting is 99% sitting and glassing until you see a bear. Whereby, you typically sprint 1-3 miles to intercept. It is difficult to stay hydrated. Muscle cramping is very common on these hunts. My clients and I used the Ignite sachets daily for electrolytes and simply for flavor. Absolutely no cramping or muscle issues.

Last fall I was in the bush for 86 days and only 1 day in "town". After about 60 days, I really noticed a drop in energy. The real test for these products will come this fall. I'm anxious to see the difference they make after 60 days.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

OP
B

billy molls

Super Moderator
In a couple weeks I'll venture north for my annual fall migration to Alaska. I've been using various MTN OPS products for training. I still find myself going back to the BCAA mixes and "Ignite". I'm not going to bring any of the powders in the field, but certainly going to pack trail packs of "Yeti", "Enduro", "Ignite", as well as probiotic sticks.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm by no means hardcore in my training. I herniated a disk in my back two years ago. (Tip: don't do the P90X abdominal workout.) Even before I injured by back I found planking, yoga, pilates to be enormously beneficial for me, far more than heavy weightlifting. Mobility, stability, strength, and endurance are the cornerstones of my training. Nothing fancy just stuff I can do at home.

On another note, a longtime client of mine, and his personal trainer, and I have actually designed a program specifically for mountain hunting. It is a one-of-a-kind, 3-DVD workout that is part workout video, part Alaskan odyssey hunting video. (More details to come.) It will be available this fall.ON I'll be sure to do a giveaway on Rokslide once it's finalized.

attachment.php

With 2 solid months scheduled in God's Country this fall, I'm going to need any added boost I can from these MTN OPS products. When I get back I'll be sure to share a full review of my experience. Good Hunting,

attachment.php
attachment.php

OP
B

billy molls

Super Moderator
Back from the bush

attachment.php

Hunter Robb Mullins, Packer Doug Elliott, and Guide Billy Molls with a trophy Brooks Range Ram

MTN OPS Review
By Billy Molls, Alaskan guide and outfitter
attachment.php

My client, Robb, my packer, Doug, and I were three days in to a Dall sheep hunt in the northern Brooks Range of Alaska. We were covering 8-20 miles every day with a bare bones outfit on our backs. Around 8 a.m. we’d already put on several miles. We dropped our packs to glass, rest, and fuel our bodies. I dug into my pack and pulled out a packet of MTN OPS “Ignite” and dumped it into my water bottle. “Oh great,” muttered Robb. “The race begins.”

“Whatta ya mean?” I asked.

“Every time you drink that stuff you shift about two gears,” huffed Robb, who at 52 can certainly hold his own in the mountains. “I can barely keep up with you as it is. I can tell the difference in your pace right away after to drink that stuff.”

I pulled out another packet and tossed it to Robb. “Here,” I smiled, “now what’s your excuse?”

From then on, every time I dug into my pack for another packet of Ignite or “Enduro” Robb studied me like a brown bear peaking over a riverbank at the salmon hole below. “You got any extra’s?” he’d ask. Eventually his begging grew pathetic, and I’d just toss him one automatically.

This was my 21st year of guiding brown bear, grizzly, moose, Dall sheep, and caribou hunters in Alaska. I’m learning more about nature, hunting, and myself every season afield. One of my most recent discoveries is that I’m not 28 anymore. When I turned 35 I was still strong and could hike with a heavy pack all day, but I started to wake with sore muscles after long days. Now that I’m 40, I can tell you that the sore muscles and fatigue are becoming more frequent, particularly after spending 2-3 months in the bush without so much as a day off. However, those sore muscles and stiff joints have made me a better hunter. I’ve become more efficient and learned more about the art of hunting in the past 5 years than I have the previous 15.
attachment.php

A 9.5 year-old ram taken by one of Billy's clients, August 2018

attachment.php

After 8 days of hard hunting, you can't beat sheep ribs over an open fire.

One thing I’ve learned is to take advantage of every opportunity. When offered the chance to field test the line of MTN OPS products, I grabbed for it like a plate of bacon after a month in the sheep mountains. After using various MTN OPS products on my hunts for 80+ days this year in Alaska, and throughout the summer in my off-season training regimen, here is my review.

MTN OPS PRODUCT REVIEW-

ENERGY:

Ignite- I used 1-2 packets every day I was physically active. OUTSTANDING results. Energy and focus went way up. No jitters, which is rare for me. Heightened state would last 2-3 hours. I will NOT go back into the field without this product.
attachment.php

Hot Ignite- I tried the apple cider. I liked the flavor. I used it on the long cold days of glassing for bear, caribou, and moose. When mixed full strength, this stuff made me jittery. When mixed at half strength it was perfect. DO NOT drink this in the late afternoon. My brown bear client and I did just that, and couldn’t fall asleep until after midnight. I’m itching to try the “Mountain Mocha”.

attachment.php

Here's a grizzly that guides John Anderson and Billy Molls had to track in the "thick and nasty". The wounded grizzly eventually charged. The men killed the bear at 5 yards. The hunt and charge will be showcased on one of Billy's upcoming "Modern Day Mountain Man" DVDs.

NUTRITION:

Enduro- I used 1 packet everyday in the field for hydration. Often 2 on sheep hunts, packing out meat, etc. I didn’t notice as much spike in energy as Ignite, but it seemed to help with muscle recovery. I drank this a lot at night before bed.

Ammo and Magnum- I typically used these together, so I will review them together. My goal wasn’t to build mass. (I aim to be “sinewy” like a wolf, rather than massive like a bear.) I used these after weightlifting workouts. I quickly noticed muscle mass, which was nice to see, but after that I cut my intake in half. I will say that going into this fall season I was still my standard 200 pounds, but I was leaner than ever. If you’re looking for muscle, these are great products.

attachment.php

Organizing some essentials before heading into the Alaskan bush to hunt brown bear.
Slumber- Used on cold evenings. I wasn’t crazy about the taste at first, but it grew on my. Definitely helped me sleep. Hunters liked it as well.

Keep Hammering Pre-Workout- Loved this. Seemed to give me a boost for my morning workout. I will definitely continue to use it.

Multi-V- I used these when I was in the field. I can’t say that these are better than any other multi-vitamin, but I firmly believe in vitamins, particularly when my diet is limited in the backcountry.

Biotics STM Quick Sticks- Liked the flavor of these. I rarely have gut issues, but I tried these in the field anyway. I didn’t notice any negative effects. I can’t say that I noticed any positives.

attachment.php

A happy young client with a 66" bull moose.

Overall I was very pleased with my results from these products. Through the ups and downs of the season, which included a couple rough days with a pulled back muscle, I made it home this fall feeling quite well. Will I use MTN OPS products this off-season and next hunting season? Absolutely.

Everyone talks about going harder, further, and longer, but another key to consider to simply be healthier and feel better. It helps you enjoy your time in the field more, and also ensures you’ll be able to enjoy nature and the sport of hunting for years to come.

Good Hunting and God Bless,
Billy

JohnnyR

FNG
https://www.amazon.com/VINTAGE-BUIL...ine/dp/B00H2TDITW?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_9124488011
Agreed that a consumer needs to do their homework on supplements. There's a lot of crud out there.
I use the above for daily BJJ (jiu jitsu) sparring & drilling. Now in my 50's, I've found BCAA's and joint supplements to be very helpful for recovery - particularly when it's a daily workout.

I know MTN OPS is a sponsor here, and they spend a ton of time supporting hunting. Their products are very mediocre and literally twice the price of an equivalent product from one fo the big name fitness companies.

You can do better, and if you're going to be using as much as I do (5 scoops of protein per day, 4 scoops of BCAAs, 1 scoop of preworkout per day) you'll save hundreds of dollars per year.

Edit: just did the math. I'd spend $1,271 MORE per year just to use MTN OPS products which would be a significant step down in quality too. Hard pass.

*zap*

WKR
Metabolic Nutrition TAG is the best recovery supplement that I have found. Highly recommend it because it definitely shortens my recovery time if I am spent.