Rokstaff Takes on MTNTOUGH Backcountry Fitness Program

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Last week’s Week 8 Day 5 combined the shoulder work and cardio.

This morning I did Week 9 Day 1:

Same as week 8 with “the 11s” deadlifts and pull ups followed by weighted step ups, DB squat cleans, bent over rows, and burpees.

Felt really good this morning.

KHNC

WKR
Glad to see cleans being integrated into this. Im still in week 5 now. Prior programming i was doing utilized lots of cleans. Took me a long time to get my form worked out. Now it has been two months since i have been doing any cleans at all. Great exercise and im glad to see it.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 9 Day 2:

Back to the Ibex.

Quick-and-dirty quad burner.

Building on yesterday’s workout it is pretty challenging. Gonna be pretty sore going into squats tomorrow!

That said, my recovery improvement is pretty dramatic over the first half of the program.

KHNC

WKR
Got the burpee torture today. 45 mins AMRAP - 15 cals, 15 Thrusters-AS, 4 pull-ups 10 burpees. This was tough the last couple of times. I expect nothing less today!

Actually wishing my elk hunt date would arrive. I could use something easy. lol

So I’ve gotten pretty off track with going to AK for sheep season and haven’t posted in this thread for a while. I’ve been trying to get back on track with my workouts while also trying to get out during archery season as much as possible.

I finished weeks 3 & 4, and did w5d1 today. I was able to increase weight today from last week and felt good. Last week when I did the workout that khnc mentioned in his previous post from week 4, that was one of the hardest workouts I’ve done in a long time. It just flat out wore me out. You do as many circuits as possible within 45 minutes. I got 9 done. I’d like to think I could’ve gotten a 10th in if other people in the gym that morning didn’t keep taking my machines so that I had to run to different floors to find what I needed, but I honestly am not sure.

I’ve noticed that almost all the mtntough workouts are unique and difficult in their own way; there are no easy days, just different days. Each day is difficult in its own way for whatever muscle groups you’re working. I think it really stretches you not only physically, but mentally too. That workout I mentioned from w4 reminded me a lot of packing out sheep till 5 am in the sense that I had to just keep grinding and not let myself give up. That workout helped me probably just as much or maybe more mentally than physically. If you’re on the fence about mtntough, I would recommend trying it out. It’ll whip you into good physical AND mental shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ive been off track as well. Hunting season now I’m on a fire assignment. Will pick it up between hunts when I get back home.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
So I’ve gotten pretty off track with going to AK for sheep season and haven’t posted in this thread for a while. I’ve been trying to get back on track with my workouts while also trying to get out during archery season as much as possible.

I finished weeks 3 & 4, and did w5d1 today. I was able to increase weight today from last week and felt good. Last week when I did the workout that khnc mentioned in his previous post from week 4, that was one of the hardest workouts I’ve done in a long time. It just flat out wore me out. You do as many circuits as possible within 45 minutes. I got 9 done. I’d like to think I could’ve gotten a 10th in if other people in the gym that morning didn’t keep taking my machines so that I had to run to different floors to find what I needed, but I honestly am not sure.

I’ve noticed that almost all the mtntough workouts are unique and difficult in their own way; there are no easy days, just different days. Each day is difficult in its own way for whatever muscle groups you’re working. I think it really stretches you not only physically, but mentally too. That workout I mentioned from w4 reminded me a lot of packing out sheep till 5 am in the sense that I had to just keep grinding and not let myself give up. That workout helped me probably just as much or maybe more mentally than physically. If you’re on the fence about mtntough, I would recommend trying it out. It’ll whip you into good physical AND mental shape.

Good feedback and great you could jump right back in after your hunt

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I dislocated my shoulder today so I think i won’t be doing this program for a month or so... Let’s hope not another surgery.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
63530eb37d70605576e895261987041e.jpg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Has the Rokslide staff been testing the post season program? How is it?

hey man, thanks for asking. Looks like a few of the staff will be doing this post season program. We'll start a new thread in this forum and put up a link to it in this forum once we get rolling. Watch for it.

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
Could a guy reasonably do this program with limited equipment? I have a barbell, squat rack, bench, pull up bar, dumbbells, and an air bike.

Could a guy reasonably do this program with limited equipment? I have a barbell, squat rack, bench, pull up bar, dumbbells, and an air bike.

I think you’d be fine with that. One of the nice things is they will typically offer alternatives in to most exercises on any given workout day. There are a couple cardio workouts where they intend you to cycle between multiple machines/exercises but you could just alternate from running to bike and back to running, etc.

The weight lifting portion involves a lot of squats, deadlifts, and dumbbell work so you should be covered there. There’s a couple days involving trx straps but a lot of those exercises you could easily find good substitutes for with what you’ve got I think.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I really felt like the backcountry hunter program left me well prepared for what turned out to be a rigorous and long hunting season this year.

I will be starting the off-season program from MTN TOUGH soon, and I will start another thread like this one. I hope other Roksliders doing the program will post there as well.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I want in on that new thread Matt! I didn’t make it very far into my program last year because I got so sick right before season. Just finishing up our home gym so looking to get back into things when the new year hits.

I finally finished the 12-week preseason program! They've decided to add 4 weeks on to the preseason and also the postseason programs, and the extra 4 weeks show up, but I can't access them yet so I'm assuming they aren't ready to be released. Getting through the program definitely took me more than 12 weeks due to going to AK for sheep season, having my wife in and out of the hospital for a few months with hyperemisis (all-day morning sickness that just doesn't go away and can lead to severe dehydration and malnutrition), hunting season itself, and getting sick myself 2 different times...but I wanted to finish no matter what. I think it really is a good, well-thought out program. One thing Dustin (the founder) mentioned in an email is that the program won't give you 'glamour' muscles, which it doesn't. It pushes you in the areas you need in order to push yourself further in the mountains. Most of all, I think it really helps you develop that mental edge to not give up when things get tough and you're worn out. What I used to call a 'hard' workout was really not that hard...some of these workouts will really test you. Some days it's all you can do to make it though, but this is one of the best ways to stretch yourself and increase your own mental toughness. I remember some of the hardest workouts (for me anyway) being the Goat and the Lyle; the Ibex was really good as well.

When they announced the offseason program I honestly didn't plan on signing up for it, but now I'm considering it :) One of the things I really like about the workouts is the structure. They even have different 'levels' of difficulty for some of the workouts depending on how good of shape you're in and how much you want to push yourself...but don't think you'll get off much easier if you do beginner level of weight/difficulty/etc, you will still be borderline exhausted by the end if you really give it your all and do things as they prescribe.

To anyone on the fence about this program, I'd say go for it. It's an investment in yourself. Just forego a gear upgrade that may only save a couple ounces, and start MTNTOUGH so that you can lose a few to possibly several pounds off your frame :D Your joints and back will thank you. Even if you get through it and don't like it after it's all said and done, you WILL be in good shape for hunting season. I plan to start over from week one in late april/may and be wrapping up in time to go to AK for sheep and then start bow hunting at home.