How long do you give someone to pay?

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Say a person says "I'll take it, send me your paypal info" and an hour later you have another person tell you they want it and will send payment asap.

Then a day goes by and you don't hear a thing from the "I'll take it" guy.

How long do you wait on the 1st person?

Feare

FNG
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hour, average American checks their phone more than enough in one hour to send a payment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feare

FNG
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If someone says what’s your PayPal and you respond back within a few minutes and then it’s dead air and someone else offers you and asks what’s your PayPal you give it and they pay, sorry but holding items to strangers on the internet doesn’t work out well usually.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had this same thing happen here on the forum last night. I was the second in line and the seller said he'd give him till morning to pay. I felt that was fair. The guy ending up sending the money and the seller told me promptly. I think communication and a clear understanding are whats most important. You and the first buyer should have an understanding of when the money will be sent and you should have an understanding of when you will notify the second party.

Trial153

WKR
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Yea and crawfishing is pretty low class, on either end ..the buyer or the seller.
Its not unrealistic to have have to wait a few hours for payment. My life doenst depend on a selling extra or unwanted gear. If some one commits I am willing to give them awhile, it's the way I would want to be treated.

Feare

FNG
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had this same thing happen here on the forum last night. I was the second in line and the seller said he'd give him till morning to pay. I felt that was fair. The guy ending up sending the money and the seller told me promptly. I think communication and a clear understanding are whats most important. You and the first buyer should have an understanding of when the money will be sent and you should have an understanding of when you will notify the second party.

Agree on all of the above, being honest is most important, maybe I am little short because I have my phone near always and have been burnt before waiting

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If someone says what’s your PayPal and you respond back within a few minutes and then it’s dead air and someone else offers you and asks what’s your PayPal you give it and they pay, sorry but holding items to strangers on the internet doesn’t work out well usually.

Haha oh how I hate you guys hope you stay out of our classified section

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Frosty82

WKR
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
A month ago I was in the give them a day crowd. I have been trying to sell some extra stuff with an up coming move...after dealing with all kinds of people the last few weeks, I am now in the money talks crowd. To many dang people want you to accommodate them when you are buying my stuff... Don't have the time or patience for the shenanigans anymore.

PS...I haven't had any issues with this site.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hour, average American checks their phone more than enough in one hour to send a payment

If you did that to me I would ban your ass.

Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Sometimes I only have a flash of service or a minute to reply but I usually make it clear when I ask for PayPal it may take a bit.

As the seller if I'm concerned about the buyer I usually look at how many posts they have less the 10 and there all in the classified I may move on.
If they have hundreds of posts and appear to be helpful I consider them a vetted contributor. And give them 24hrs after I send a follow up pm.

Wrench

WKR
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just disclose that you have no integrity up front and that you are only interested in getting the cash into your hands fast, even if that means scrubbing a deal....see how that works out.

I work inside the biggest concrete structure in America. My phone doesn't work there. If you didn't get back to me in time for me to get back to you, and you need the money right now. ...sell it to someone else, but just know that it makes you look shady and desperate which might come to bite you later.

This coming from a guy who's done an easy 5 figures of forum buying and selling without a hitch.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Average American has a job and a life. I can easily lose half a day at work when things aren't going well.

OP
Newtosavage
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Okay guys. Thanks. It's been two days and I haven't heard a thing, so I will notify the other buyer who said he is ready to pay.

I agree that during hunting season and the holidays, it's only fair to give someone at least a day after you send them PayPal info. Back in the money order days... well that got excruciating while other offers were coming in. LOL

Have a great weekend!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
This past September I was literally on my way out the door for elk hunting after I got off the computer. A guy was selling some scope rings and I sent him a PM telling him I'd take them, but explained that I would be gone for several days and understood if he had other buyers show up. I got back and had a PM from him waiting for me telling me that he too was out hunting, so no problem. Paid the man, and my rings showed up a few days later. But I would also understand that a week+ is a lot to ask of someone trying to make a sale. But I also believe a man's word is as good as a signed contract.

Feare

FNG
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
After reading the majority of the opinions on the thread obviously my opinion on how long a guy should wait is on the short side. General consensus is that communication is key, look through the good guy buy/seller list and you read repeatedly “good communication, fast ship, ect” Like I stated prior that I have my phone on me or near by most of the time and when I’m a buyer and I say I’ll take it and request PayPal it’s generally something I’m excited to buy as most of the time I’m getting it at around half off from new so I want to get the seller his money ASAP so I can get my purchase ASAP. I don’t sell much as I tend to hoard things but if I do going forward it’s good to know that on this forum that it’s general practice give a guy a day. Thanks to the OP for asking the question.