Are 8’s enough for out West?

Pezboat

WKR
I’m a Midwest whitetail guy, and never owned a pair of optics. I’ve recently become obsessed with the idea of a western hunt. Elk for now, but I’d eventfully want to do it all. I archery hunt, and could care less about trophy quality. My main use would be for spotting game, and not is it a 280 bull or 320 bull. I know an 8x42 binocular would be suited best for my whitetail hunting since I can rarely see beyond a couple hundred yards. But is it enough for out West? Would something like the Maven B2’s 9x45’s be a good compromise? Or should I just go straight to the 10x binos?

FURMAN

WKR
I think you will find different people have different preferences. I prefer 10s.

WestNE

WKR
100% a matter of opinion so here is mine. I'm a rifle hunter if that matters.

I have been back and forth and I think just made my final switch, from 10x42 Monarch HG's to 8x32 Euro HD's. I've spent time with both and I much prefer the small size and lightweight off smaller binos. When I don't have 8-10's side by side I don't miss the magnification either.

Another consideration is quality of glass, I think you would be better off taking any budget you have for new binos, selling your current 8's and upgrading to an 8x that you will really be happy with.

Honestly in the Midwest I would find the Maven both to large and heavy in the woods.

Nick

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think if you tripod mount an 8x you'd be as well served as a hand held 10x. It would be my pleasure to discuss this with you if you have a few minutes to give a call, 516-217-1000.

Trial153

WKR
I will have 8x32 els on me all sept elk season, for elk hunting i dont feel like i give up anything to my 10x slcs

I think you fine with 8x in quality glass for elk hunting.

Last edited:

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
I think if you tripod mount an 8x you'd be as well served as a hand held 10x. It would be my pleasure to discuss this with you if you have a few minutes to give a call, 516-217-1000.
I tripod mount my Leica 8x42 Ultravids and they really are spectacular at finding game. I love the wide FOV, and elk really aren't too hard to find. If I were you, I would get a high quality pair of 8's as whitetails are the primary quarry, and 8's will do just fine in the west.

You've never used binos in the Midwest so how important is that in the equation? If you want to hunt mulies and/or hunt big open country then I'd recommend 10x on a tripod.

I prefer 8s for tighter cover and 10s for open country and have both. They get about equal usage over the hunting seasons. Pick one and be happy. Either will do the trick.

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
I only hunt out west and I prefer 8x over 10x for my binoculars. I also have a spotter and I think that makes an excellent combo.

LostArra

WKR
8’s have the advantage for me
Wider field of view
Greater depth of field
Easier one-hand use when I need a quick glance while holding a bow.
Lighter weight-usually

Those advantages outweigh the magnification gain.
An elk at one mile will appear as
176 yds with 10x
220 yds with 8x

I don’t evaluate elk antler size but look for animals. Especially bedded animals so I’m looking for heads and ears. When deer hunting I do look at antler size but they are usually much closer.

I do use 10x when watching hawks and deer off my back porch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
Out West? Heck, 8s aren’t enough for me in Alabama. Lol

I prefer 10s. I don’t have any problem glassing while holding them.

tracker12

WKR
The 8 vice 10 debate will go on long after our grand children are gone. Guy really needs to buy one of each.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
The physical difference between the size of an 8 power bino vs a 10 power is minor and the benefit of a 10 power is well worth having it instead of an 8 power. I live and hunt in SW Montana and I've used 10x42 binos for years.

muddydogs

WKR
I prefer 12X and have been running them for 5 years, all these guys talk about not needing anything over 8x but then talk about looking for antler tips and ears. Well I can sure pick up an antler tip at 300 yards eiser with my 12's then 8's. I wouldn't go any lower the 10x for Western hunting. !2x bino's are easy to hold steady by hand and when one needs to look really close resting the elbows on one's knee takes care of any wobble.

mcseal2

WKR
Everyone has their own opinion and nobody is wrong on this one.

I use 10x42 Leica Geovid HD-B binos in my chest harness all the time. I'd like to have a good set of 8x32's for some of my scouting trips just for the smaller size and weight. Hunting I don't want to give up the advantage of having my rangefinder built in so that I can eliminate a step going from glassing to shooting. I rifle hunt. I also use the heck out of 15x binos even rifle hunting the Midwest for whitetail. I find that having my 15x56 Swaros on my tripod is a great advantage finding game out west, and evaluating game in the Midwest. I can see if a buck is broken up and evaluate age to last shooting light with that set-up. Where I hunt there is a lot of pressure around and new deer show up from time to time. I keep pressure as low as possible where I hunt. Some of my best bucks are on the wall because they got pushed out of their home territory into my area and make a mistake in the less familiar ground.

If Leica or Swaro introduced a reasonably light and compact 12x50 with excellent glass, a great angle compensating rangefinder, and a good tripod mount system I'd sell both my current binos and be able to pack just one. With all the guys tripod mounting optics now I think it would sell great. I've emailed both companies but who knows if they will do it. Maybe the technology isn't quite there yet to get all that in one package.

WestNE

WKR
Everyone has their own opinion and nobody is wrong on this one.

I use 10x42 Leica Geovid HD-B binos in my chest harness all the time. I'd like to have a good set of 8x32's for some of my scouting trips just for the smaller size and weight. Hunting I don't want to give up the advantage of having my rangefinder built in so that I can eliminate a step going from glassing to shooting. I rifle hunt. I also use the heck out of 15x binos even rifle hunting the Midwest for whitetail. I find that having my 15x56 Swaros on my tripod is a great advantage finding game out west, and evaluating game in the Midwest. I can see if a buck is broken up and evaluate age to last shooting light with that set-up. Where I hunt there is a lot of pressure around and new deer show up from time to time. I keep pressure as low as possible where I hunt. Some of my best bucks are on the wall because they got pushed out of their home territory into my area and make a mistake in the less familiar ground.

If Leica or Swaro introduced a reasonably light and compact 12x50 with excellent glass, a great angle compensating rangefinder, and a good tripod mount system I'd sell both my current binos and be able to pack just one. With all the guys tripod mounting optics now I think it would sell great. I've emailed both companies but who knows if they will do it. Maybe the technology isn't quite there yet to get all that in one package.
Something I never considered but having 15's for Midwest whitetail is a very appealing idea. There has been plenty of times hunting back home, Eastern Kansas, that judging deer on the other end of 50-100 acre field of corn stubble even with 10's can be tough. Introduce standing beans and terraces where your looking for antler tips and high powered binos could be invaluable, typically a spotter is just a little much...

Amazing how regional specific I get at times when it comes to hunting, mixing up tools across species or regions doesn't even cross my mind, duh...

Nick

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
Pezboat

Pezboat

WKR
Ha! I’m new to the site, so I probably should have looked back to read previous threads. Didn’t realize this was such a common question. I definitely appreciate everyone’s input!

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
There's absolutely no need to purchase a set of 10x if you already have a pair of 8x, especially for an archery elk hunt. I personally think the 8x are preferable for the hunt you plan on doing. Pros: wide FOV, easy to hand hold, lightweight and unbeatable in thick cover. Also great when you're on stalk or still-hunting thru timber. Don't overthink it as it's easy to do and good luck! ;)