8105b588158beb49bd8c2ca3649b1278.jpg
2320646bda253ddad091b9a5a4003fa3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Tonight is the head-to-head with the Swarovski SLC 15x.
c0ee345316d8fb3f0262de4108c1fcda.jpg
038643012f39e44b2bf94e48655332a0.jpg

5c2de7e94f1863644765f8e432bff556.jpg

I’m scouting for bucks on one of the properties I manage for some hunters who are coming in tonight to hunt this week

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Without the specs in front of me, I’d give the FOV to the SIGs by a small margin

But Swaro’ has the better edge-to-edge by about the same amount.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The guys showed up before last light so I didn’t get to test best in light transmission.

It’s so hard to tell which set is clearer. It’s very close. I need to get them both on the resolving chart to make the final call.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Sam, I was really pleased with the performance on these. SIGs got something going.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Robby let me borrow the Sig 15's tonight for some long-range glassing and I am very impressed. The depth of field is really forgiving and I didn't touch the focus wheel while glassing from 150 yards to over 1800 yds.

01-Sig.jpg

sneaky

"DADDY"
Robby let me borrow the Sig 15's tonight for some long-range glassing and I am very impressed. The depth of field is really forgiving and I didn't touch the focus wheel while glassing from 150 yards to over 1800 yds.

01-Sig.jpg
That's because The Legend has looked through them and they're still scared to change focus

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OK, on the questions above:

1) MSRP is $1,599

2) “who is the competition?”

What I meant by that was really all 15x platforms that I’ve used:

Swarovski SLC, Zeiss (previous gen), Vortex Kaibab and Vulture, Pentax. Although I did not get to look through them, I’ve published reviews from Matt Cashell on the Meopta 15x and Jordan Budd on the Maven 15x and spoke with both authors extensively during the review process.

Here are prices I see on the internet (probably above MAP and below MSRP)

Swaro’ $2,300
Zeiss $1600
Vortex Kaibab $999
Vortex Vulture $499
Pentax (not available)
Meopta $1600
Maven $1400

so with the Zulu9 probably going to be in the $1300 range (just a guess as it’s not out there where I can price it yet), from what I’m seeing so far, you’d have spend an extra grand to get more clarity/resolve in the SLC (although I will do a side-by-side before this is over) and it’s not going to be much difference!

The Zulu9s beat both Vortexs (the Kaibab is only in 18x now) by a bit, especially when you take in eye relief. I’ve not tested light transmission yet in the Zulu but in my testing earlier this year, the Vortex beat the Swaro’ by one line on the resolving chart at dark(video is on our YouTube). Les Welch is running the 15x Zeiss right now here Zeiss 15x56 Conquest HD review/thread
and I hope when he’s out to Idaho this fall, I can do a side-by-side, we’ll see.

If I were King, I’d have the Maven’s, the Meopta’s, the Swaro’s, the Zeiss along side the Zulu9. If we’re only talking clarity/resolving, it will be a tight match.

I’ll be using the Zulus more in the coming weeks, so more to come.

I’ll say right now, it’s a good time to be a consumer wanting to get in the big bino market...

To be considered as well is the Leica Geovid 15x56 @ $2099. Comparable optically to anything in the line up with addition of a 1200yrd laser rangefinder with angle compensation built in!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
To be considered as well is the Leica Geovid 15x56 @ $2099. Comparable optically to anything in the line up with addition of a 1200yrd laser rangefinder with angle compensation built in!
Should of sent one out for testing instead of waiting until the results are in out to give the Leica a quick plug.

That being said the rangefinder option would be sweet option for long range glassing

MIKEYB

WKR
Robby,

Did any of them stand out as far as ergonomics go? In the hand, against the face, eyecups, bridge stiffness. diopter or eyecups adjustments?

One of my big gripes with the Kaibabs was the the clunky eyecups and they never felt that great against my face. I would have to send them in for eyecup repair and bridge adjustment.

tdhanses

WKR
Should of sent one out for testing instead of waiting until the results are in out to give the Leica a quick plug.

That being said the rangefinder option would be sweet option for long range glassing

Guess I don’t see an issue with a sponsor plugging their item on a Rokslide owners post.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guess I don’t see an issue with a sponsor plugging their item on a Rokslide owners post.
Except this is a Sig review thread where they didn't get sample reviewed nor have their offering been compared to any of the binocular in this thread.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

No problem mentioning them but those are considerably more than these SIGs. Personally I don’t need a rangefinder in my 15x as I’d never hunt with just the 15x, but would have a lower power bino with a rangefinder around my neck. 15x are about worthless once the stalk begins.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby,

Did any of them stand out as far as ergonomics go? In the hand, against the face, eyecups, bridge stiffness. diopter or eyecups adjustments?

One of my big gripes with the Kaibabs was the the clunky eyecups and they never felt that great against my face. I would have to send them in for eyecup repair and bridge adjustment.

Not really other than Kaibabs eye relief/eye cups issue as you mention.

You ask a good question And what I would say is ergonomics are low on my list of preferred’s in the 15x simply because I hardly ever hand hold them, they just need to sit solid on a tripod. So in other words I’m willing to exchange ergonomics for optical function and quality versus dollar spent.

A lot of people don’t catch that in my reviews, but there are people out there that can’t afford the best, and I’m trying to show them the value in some of these less expensive offerings and SIG did well in this.

Last edited:
Sig is coming out with some 10x42 with built in rangefinder.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk