SIG SAUER STEPS into the 15x platform

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The game is heating up in the world of the big binos. SIG SAUER just released their 15x56 in their ZULU9. They are not on their site yet but are available from some of the big boxes I’ve been told
ZULU9 | Sig Sauer
fd6f8950ddb385f7bf82a2dad286cf7d.png

I’ve used them on two scout trips and feel good about saying these are gonna give the competition fits. I haven’t put them on the resolving chart yet, but they are very clear, and hold it out to the near edge.

What I’m liking is the eye relief is enough that you don’t have to touch the binos to get a full FOV.

I’ll be posting more photos and more feedback shortly and hope to do a comparison with Swarovski’s 15x SLC on the resolving chart soon.
84521fa2030b4e307bf2327462f3138d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forest

WKR
What's "the competition"?
That depends on the quality. There are some for a frew hundred, quite a few options at just over 1k. Then the euro class at over 2k. That's why i asked the msrp to see which category these fit into. Love my sig rangefinder

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, sorry I’ve been MIA. Hit the hills right after I posted that. I’ll get you an msrp and clarify on the competition comment. Give me a day or two

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK, on the questions above:

1) MSRP is $1,599

2) “who is the competition?”

What I meant by that was really all 15x platforms that I’ve used:

Swarovski SLC, Zeiss (previous gen), Vortex Kaibab and Vulture, Pentax. Although I did not get to look through them, I’ve published reviews from Matt Cashell on the Meopta 15x and Jordan Budd on the Maven 15x and spoke with both authors extensively during the review process.

Here are prices I see on the internet (probably above MAP and below MSRP)

Swaro’ $2,300
Zeiss $1600
Vortex Kaibab $999
Vortex Vulture $499
Pentax (not available)
Meopta $1600
Maven $1400

so with the Zulu9 probably going to be in the $1300 range (just a guess as it’s not out there where I can price it yet), from what I’m seeing so far, you’d have spend an extra grand to get more clarity/resolve in the SLC (although I will do a side-by-side before this is over) and it’s not going to be much difference!

The Zulu9s beat both Vortexs (the Kaibab is only in 18x now) by a bit, especially when you take in eye relief. I’ve not tested light transmission yet in the Zulu but in my testing earlier this year, the Vortex beat the Swaro’ by one line on the resolving chart at dark(video is on our YouTube). Les Welch is running the 15x Zeiss right now here Zeiss 15x56 Conquest HD review/thread
and I hope when he’s out to Idaho this fall, I can do a side-by-side, we’ll see.

If I were King, I’d have the Maven’s, the Meopta’s, the Swaro’s, the Zeiss along side the Zulu9. If we’re only talking clarity/resolving, it will be a tight match.

I’ll be using the Zulus more in the coming weeks, so more to come.

I’ll say right now, it’s a good time to be a consumer wanting to get in the big bino market...

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Here is the tripod adapter. It’s got multiple holes so that’s nice to have a choice as every tripod head is different. There’s not enough distance between holes to adjust for balance like a KDC OBA does though, just more for viewing comfort (neck/eye relief).
8141a6882d9136dfe09d301bb5d8c9c2.jpg

979cc9227c73d08bcbc5fb4a019d3bec.jpg

c4602d5ca410cd3e3d6588002c67a5f0.jpg

You can operate it with fingers even though there is a coin slot

I’ve had it on a Slik 624 w/ Manfrotto adapter plate, Swaro’ Travel Carbon w/ their adapter plate, and a Bushnell window mount direct 1/4-20 connect:
59916aa8e36c674aec027cf6a052a580.jpg

843ee3e5003fb8297c4f3653de67710d.jpg

Also, as in my review of the Zulu5 8x42, lens caps are a joke and especially on the objective side of these big ones. Won’t stay in place. Neck strap is fine

Last edited:

Elkangle

WKR
Are these just a rebuilt maven?? If not how will they fit people with smaller heads ?

Thanks for the review work

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Do they publish an interpupillary distance for us mouse eyes guys?

yes, it's 56 mm-74 mm

for comparison, the Vortex Kaibab is 60-76 mm, Swaro' SLC is 56-76

Eye relief is at 17.8 vs. Vortex's 16.4 (this is a noticeable difference and is why the Zulu beats the Vortex.) and Swaro's at 16 which is weird cause it beat the Vortex too.

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Can somebody explain to me how a 56 mm roof prism bino can have a 56 mm interpupilary distance?

I guess I don't understand your question? But all three of those binoculars have that spec or very close.

JDZ

WKR
I guess I don't understand your question? But all three of those binoculars have that spec or very close.

If both objective lenses are 56 mm, and they don't touch each other at the smallest interpupillary distance, then the center-to-center distance between the lenses is therefore greater than 56 mm. (I have mad math skills!) Is the center of the optical lenses not on the same line as the center of the objective lens?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
If both objective lenses are 56 mm, and they don't touch each other at the smallest interpupillary distance, then the center-to-center distance between the lenses is therefore greater than 56 mm. (I have mad math skills!) Is the center of the optical lenses not on the same line as the center of the objective lens?
Ok, I understand your question. I’m geometrically and math challenged so here are some pics of the center-to-center measurements at the closest interpupillary distance. The wide angle lens might makes it appear like the tape isn’t in the center of the lenses, but it’s pretty close.
8785e8e8b149aea5ac3d68433ddb0f53.jpg
8cad1bc1f5a5cc464a88de5fb7994783.jpg
9afe69d299cc97e114d05d56ea016e00.jpg

So the rough measurements converted to mm are 63 (the 7mm difference is due to my rough measurements) on the eyepieces and 70 on the objectives. That doesn’t explain the “how” you asked about, but should show how they get to that spec quoted. With the tapered barrels, the lenses aren’t on the same line so that’s probably why? Let me know what you figure out.

Last edited:

JDZ

WKR
Thanks Robby. I did a little more research on Abbe Koenig prisms (I'm guessing that's what Sig uses) and they are not always a straight thru line of sight. So that does answer my question.

I know I can get along with binos that have a distance of 56 mm, but not much more than that.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Good deal, and yes those are the prisms SIG uses. Thanks for making me think!

These are the binos that I know of that use the abbe koenig prism. The Abbe Koenig prism is bigger and heaveier, but allows more light transmission than other roof prism binos. It looks like several of these are from the same Japanese factory.
Swarovski 15x56 SLC
Leupold 15x56 BX-5
Maven 15x56 B4
Stryka S9 15x56
Sig Zulu 9 15x56
DD Optics Pirschler 15x56

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
These are the binos that I know of that use the abbe koenig prism. The Abbe Koenig prism is bigger and heaveier, but allows more light transmission than other roof prism binos. It looks like several of these are from the same Japanese factory.
Swarovski 15x56 SLC
Leupold 15x56 BX-5
Maven 15x56 B4
Stryka S9 15x56
Sig Zulu 9 15x56
DD Optics Pirschler 15x56

Not surprising at all but they’re from the same place. Even though the prisms are heavier, the net weight is within a few ounces of the vortex and Swarovski competitors- low 40 oz range