Help me decide....NF SHV vs Leupold VX5HD

Mfloski

FNG
Both have side focus.
Leupold is 3-15x44
NF is 2-10x42
Both are right at 20oz (this is for a “lightweight” mountain “elk” hunting rifle, so weight is key!)
Leupold has zero locking elevation turret, NF is capped
Both are right around 900.00

Leupold wins on paper in almost every category, so why would I consider the NF. Well, I have first hand experience with the ruggedness/durability of the NF in the mountains, and have first hand experience of their highly repeatable and reliable tracking. I don’t have either with Leupold (I don’t own any currently). I have seen NF dropped hard and never lose zero, I have cranked on the dials all day and never have a tracking issue. If I thought that VX5 would offer the same, I wouldn’t hesitate to go with it for the extra mag range and zero locking turret. What does everyone think?

I've learned to trust what I read from Formidilosus on this forum. I'm sold on the SHV scopes, I've got a 5-20 on a heavy .260 and I just put a 3-10 on my 30-06 mountain rifle. I like to dial when outside MPBR. I've been shooting my mountain rifle a lot lately varying my distances between 50 yards and 500 yards. It's so nice to dial up at 500 and shoot with precision, then click back down to my 200 yards zero, back up for 425, back down to 200...etc. and just keep crushing the bulls-eye.

I agree the VX5 wins on paper. I went through a VX6 and Swaro Z6 before finally going with the less expensive 3-10 SHV. I'm sure things will eventually change, but until then I'm using Nightforce SHV.

OP
M

Mfloski

FNG
I've learned to trust what I read from Formidilosus on this forum. I'm sold on the SHV scopes, I've got a 5-20 on a heavy .260 and I just put a 3-10 on my 30-06 mountain rifle. I like to dial when outside MPBR. I've been shooting my mountain rifle a lot lately varying my distances between 50 yards and 500 yards. It's so nice to dial up at 500 and shoot with precision, then click back down to my 200 yards zero, back up for 425, back down to 200...etc. and just keep crushing the bulls-eye.

I agree the VX5 wins on paper. I went through a VX6 and Swaro Z6 before finally going with the less expensive 3-10 SHV. I'm sure things will eventually change, but until then I'm using Nightforce SHV.

Thank you...this is exactly what my thinking is too. I have the SHV F1 and my BIL has ATACRs and have had NSX. They are tough as nails and the tracking is outstanding. Having a gun in the mountains is more about confidence it will get the job done than saving a penny or having a winner on a spreadsheet comparison.

Battleguy

Banned
Easy choice for me SHV. i have had my vx's even a vx 7 and i prefer the shv. as a matter of fact i am replacing my vx-7 4.5-14 with a SHV in the near future.

amassi

WKR
I'm a hardcore Leupy fan, I have a safe full of them and if your going to dial I would get the Nightforce.
If you shoot mpbr leupold

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

skierhs

WKR
My vote is for the shv. Both are solid scopes but when my hunt is on the line i trust the NF more then the leupold. I'll always pack a few extra ounces when it gives me extra piece at mind that when i line up the shot I know it'll be on.

tracker12

WKR
What does MPBR stand for. Maximum Point Bland Range?

Boy I never thought of the SHV scope as an option but now I am interested.

Last edited:
I sent off my VX-5HD for repair after about 150 rounds and one hunt. Heard a hissing sound when I turned the magnification down after taking a shot. Called Leupold when I got out of the field, and they said an o-ring likely failed and released the nitrogen charge. The scope seemed to dial and hold zero okay for the limited time I used it, but I replaced it with a Maven RS.1.

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
Really wanted to like the leupold. As you say, perfect on paper. Bought and returned 3 different VX5HD scopes. First two the turret hash marks didn’t line up with the mark on the scope when you dialed. Third one the zoom ring would snag like something out of alignment inside and would have to force it to rotate around.
Those experiences and all the forums discussions of issues gave me too much doubt in leupold and drove me to go for the nightforce. Works perfect, zero issues, tracking spot on.