New Bino Help ~$800-1k

thrash907

FNG
Hey all,

First time posting here. I've read some of the other bino threads, but it seems like there's a few other options that have popped up recently. Based on the recommendations here, I've narrowed down my options to the following:
1. Nikon Monarch HG 10x42
2. Meopta Meostar HD 10x42
3. Vortex Razor 10x42
4. Leica Trinovid 10x42
5. Zeiss Conquest 10x42

I'm sure there's many other options, so I'm absolutely open to suggestions!

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

AGPank

WKR
Those are the ones. Most would bump Vortex down to #5.

Someone had the a pair of the Meoptas in the classifieds for $750.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGPank beat me to it. I saw two pairs of Meoptas in the classifieds this morning. One is the Cabelas Euro model.

I have the Vortex Razors that I bought for a great deal, and I like them. That said, at similar retail prices I would prefer the Meopta or Zeiss.

Only one I have extensive experience with are the Conquests. Purchased on sale for $699 a few years ago, there were an excellent glass of the money.

Drawbacks are:

1. Weak eyecups. I've broken a couple. Unfortunately, not an uncommon thing with other brands either, including higher priced units. Zeiss will just drop more in the mail for you, but it would be better if they just didn't crack in the first place!

2. Focusing wheel on my copy doesn't have a lot of friction. Means it's frequently turned in the harness, and I often have to refocus. It's big and easy to use, but should be slightly stiffer IMO.

3. It's somewhat sensitive to eye positioning compared to some higher end stuff I've used (SLC's). Not sure how it compares to the others you listed.

Still, I've been happy with them. Fit and finish is good, with solid armoring, and they have located plenty of game for me. Other than the eyecups, durability seems decent too, as they haven't been babied AT ALL.

manitou1

WKR
I just received my Meostars today. Ordered from Doug at Cameraland (site sponsor). They give a nice discount for members.
I am very impressed with the glass. Shopped for several months before committing.

enve77

WKR
Just received my Maven B2 9x45 highly recommend them. They are crystal clear glass and you can even demo a pair before buying. Worth taking a look! Good luck

enve77

WKR
I run Maven B1 10x42, They blew my Vortex Razors away in a side by side.

After My Brother in law did some glassing with my Maven B2 he said," Damn this make my vortex viper hd look like Walmart tasco binoculars." LOL

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
I have some old non HD Leica Ultravid 8x42’s. I recently compared them to new Swaro El 10x42’s, and for my needs I preferred the Leica’s. They are noticeably smaller and brighter in low light (granted 8x to 10x isn’t apples to apples). I bet you can find some for cheap.

Trial153

WKR
Pretty sure Aron did a pod cast comparing all of them on the list. The HG are highly touted. I owned razors which I didnt care for, also had conquest which were decent glass for the money.
The Meostars are very nice if you can handle the ergonomics and weight.

Honestly I dont think you can go wrong with any on your list... find good deal of you on a tight budget for mid priced glass.
Doug at camera land is good source as is red hawk rifles for demos.

OP
thrash907

thrash907

FNG
Thanks all for your suggestions and feedback! I got to try out a few today and I agree with the sentiment that there's much better glass out there than the Vortex at that price point. I ended up picking up the Nikons since I was able to get them right at $800.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Enjoy the Nikon's. With the $100.00 instant rebate they are having now they are a great deal.

Always our pleasure to discuss different optics options with the members here, whether you buy from us or not.