Spotting scope for scouting long range

I would like to get a spotter that would be strictly a scouting spotter. Size would not matter. The goal is to keep the cost down, no alpha glass, while finding something that can reach out. This would be used for glassing distant areas from ATV trails or roads and also for just hiking trips where there is plenty of room in the pack and no need to worry about coming out heavy. The goal is not to count points but identify bucks/bulls are using an area from afar. I guess to put it another way I am looking to get the max usable magnification per $$.

Please suggest anything new or used under $1000 if possible. I am looking to buy next year but would like an idea of what to start watching the classifieds for.

Forest

WKR
Definitely going to want 80mm+. Could probably get into a maven or meopta type class if used for about that or a hair more. Vortex Razor for sure. I have a vortex viper 80mm and bought it for the same purpose as you basically, cheap big glass for use in the truck mainly. To be totally honest unless glassing conditions are perfect it is my most disliked piece of gear I own. While I didn't spend a fortune on it I always wish I would have spent more....

WestNE

WKR
For that budget you easily easily pick up a used Leica apo 77mm with zoom eyepiece.

That's my vote for the money.

Nick

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Forest

WKR
Does the 80mm or similar result in better clarity at higher magnifications?

The larger the lens the more light it can let in and "brighter" view especially when at high zoom. That said after having this scope and trying others, I would rather have higher quality glass and smaller lens than poor glass. Within reason of course.

There's is a reason many guides are now running the swaro 95mm. It literally blows my mind how awesome that piece of glass is.

That leica would make for a nice spotter, even with older technology. Certainly a great candidate at that price range.

Here's another rebranded Meopta S2, angled for only $400 more than what you wanted to spend. If you had a chance to compare this side by side with a Vortex Razor 85mm, you'd be swayed!
Cabelas euro spotting scope $1400
These are great scopes. You would notice a difference between this and the Razor. The Razor will do what you are asking and you can find deals on them if you look.