Vortex Razor Bino's - what size to buy?

SKYNET KC

FNG
Through my work I have accumulated a decent amount of Vortex Bucks. The only thing I really desire at this point is to upgrade my binoculars. I currently have some Diamondback 10x42's that have done me very well here in the midwest hunting whitetail and turkey.

My plan is to just upgrade "all the way" and splurge on some Razors since it's not going to cost me anything anyway. These will be used in western hunts as well as the the occasional hunt here in Missouri and surrounding states for whitetail and turkey as well. S my question is what size do I buy? I'm thinking I might as well go to the 12x50's since they're not that much heavier than the 10x50's.

Or if you think it would make sense I could get the Fury 10x42's and be able to ditch my rangefinder.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

AGPank

WKR
If you are locked into Razors, I think 10x42 is the most versatile. Good combo of power, weight, FOV.

I don’t like the narrow FOV in their 10x50. I’d go better optic in 12x50 (EL, Ultravid, Meostar) and wouldn’t be as versatile for varying hunting conditions. Harder to hold steady off-hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
IMO, you'd be best served with the 10x42. You've been using a 10x42, this will be a big jump in optical quality without magnification change. You may want to consider tripod mounting for a real increase in quality glassing

OP
S

SKYNET KC

FNG
So I've got a lot of suggestions to stick with a smaller binocular (10x42 or 10X50) and to get something like the Kaibab (18x56) for glassing with a tripod.

I'm not opposed to that, but the Kaibab weighs 43 ounces. For only another 7 ounces, I could get TWO of the Razor 10-33x50 spotting scopes. Think I can rig these up in a dual spotting scope setup like I've seen other people do?

cocky84

WKR
I currently have razor 10x42’s. Ive tried a few spotting scopes and have decided they are not for me. I will be getting the Kaibab 18x56 and keep razors too.

NV HUNTER

WKR
I have the razor 10x50 and love them. Mounted on a tripod my glassing has really improved.

kennyt

FNG
I would get the 12s or the new 18s. I run my 15 swaros all the time. They are a little bulky but better than carrying a spotter, 15s and 8 or 10s for free hand holding. I use a tri pod as much as possible. If you don’t have a spotter you might lean towards the 18s.

IdahoHntr

WKR
I have ran 10x and 12x and I love having the extra magnification of the 12x binos! I honestly don't notice any difference in being able to hold them steady when I am freehanding, like I've heard other people complain about. I definitely spot more game with 12x binos. People talk about the extra field of view is nice on lower magnification bino, but that extra field of view doesn't do you any good when your are glassing at things at a distance. That extra little bit of magnification has made it so I have ended up leaving the spotter at home on most of my elk hunting trips. Too many times I have spotted animals that my buddies would never have picked out with their 10x because they just didn't have the magnification to see it. To each their own of course! For me the 12x50's would be the clear choice.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I have 12x50s and just added 11x45 from Maven. I don’t notice issues with shake and I find I like them better than 10x42s. Easier for me to spot elk.

lvtuna

FNG
12 x50 razor free handing to spot and locate. Tripod up and it is amazing how many more animals you will see. 12x50 razor on tripod here in NV. Great combo for your vortex bucks.

I recently obtained a pair of MIJ Razor 10x42's and they are smaller than I remembered. I have extremely large hands, so if I were to buy another pair, I'd look at the 10x50's or 12x50's as they are about the same size as most other 10x42's anyway.

ElkChapo

FNG
I think you'd be happy with a pair of 12's. As you said, not much bigger than the 10x50s and that extra magnification will go a long way. especially when mounted on a tripod.

dfstein20

FNG
What tripod are you using? I have a pair of Vortex Razor 12x50 and am looking to get a new tripod that operates smoother than my cheap 20 year old tripod.

ElkChapo

FNG
There are a million different tripod options. I currently run a Sirui aluminum tripod base with the Sirui VA-5 head. If you are looking for smooth, i cant recommend the VA-5 enough. It has been the best addition to my glassing arsenal. Attach it to any tripod you'd like. The tripod base really comes down to preference... weight, budget, desired height (glassing sitting vs. standing), twist locks or flips locks etc. etc. etc.