Leica Noctivid 10x42 Review, by Matt Cashell

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
LeicaSwaro.jpg

Hey Roksliders, Matt Cashell just got done comparing the Leica Noctivid 10x42 to Swarovski's 10x42 EL. This is a heavyweight battle between two of the top optics makers in the world and it's anyone's game. Take a look at Matt's review to see which flagship binocular edges out the competition.

Leica Noctivid 10x42 Review

AGPank

WKR
Thanks for the write up. I thought the Noctovid were supposed to have a wider FOV (376 @ 1000).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Excellent write up.

I’m pretty proud of myself. I did a similar test in the spring of 2017 between the same two and noticed most of the same things although I am not fancy enough to write up “chromatic abboration” :D

Can’t go wrong with either. Thanks Matt.

RCB

WKR
The day I buy $2500 binoculars is the day my wife has express permission to punch me in the face.

The day I buy $2500 binoculars is the day my wife has express permission to punch me in the face.

i bought my swaro EL 12x50 used for $2k. I will enjoys years of pleasurable glassing and finding animals. And after all those years, they’ll be worth $2k. Not many toys out there can claim that.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I thought the Noctovid were supposed to have a wider FOV (376 @ 1000).

Me too, AGP!

The tech spec sheet download from Leica lists it at 376/1000. I like to measure for myself however, and sure enough, I found it closer to 330/1000. This was easy to confirm side by side with the ELs as they were almost the same in FOV.

A little digging in Leica’s information, and I found another tech spec listing in the “Hunting Product Overview 5.2018” (page 70). The proper spec of 336/1000 is listed in that information.

AGPank

WKR
I had hoped that was a real spec. Leica often makes mistakes converting from meters to yards. The CRF-1600B had literature that didn’t limit the EHR inside 100 yards.

I saw that as a reason for potential upgrade (if found on the used market).

I think I’m closed to settled on glass...for now

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I think I’m closed to settled on glass...for now

Haha,

Yeah right, AGP. I sense you’re an optics addict like myself, and something shiny will catch your eye sooner rather than later!

It was my understanding that the Noctivids do not use the same field flattener lens technology as the EL and SF. But they do use another technology that gets nearly the same effect.
You’ll notice that Leica does not use the term field flattener in any literature.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
It was my understanding that the Noctivids do not use the same field flattener lens technology as the EL and SF. But they do use another technology that gets nearly the same effect.
You’ll notice that Leica does not use the term field flattener in any literature.

Yes, the resulting image is extremely low distortion with negligible field curvature, indicating a “field flattened” eyepiece design, regardless of the implementation.

AGPank

WKR
If anyone is looking for a used pair, a birdforum member has some 8x42 Noctivid for $1795, I think he’s in AK, I know some members here are up there too.

boom

WKR
GREAT read!!

thanks. i took my older Ultravids for repair. (my stupidity). Leica made all my mistakes go away with zero fanfare. (they didnt even admonish me for my Outdoorsman tripod stud) when i went to go pick them up, the Dealership Salesman said, "hey come back and lets compare yours with the new Noctivids!".

one day.. i'll step up. but i would want to see a few tripod mount options first. my Ultravids are 10x50's, and i can see a day i wish for lighter more compact binos. there isnt any going back from great binos. its like riding first class on a airplane.. coach is gonna suck :)

AGPank

WKR
One reason Leica recommends their rubber strap mount is that if the tripod is knocked over the mount gives a little with the rubber strap vs the rigid hit to the structure of the bino.

Neil944

FNG
I enjoyed it as well. I’m working my way up to spending that much one day. My Mavens are treating me pretty well for right now!

mgebs311

FNG
I’m looking at either the 10x42 Noctivid’s or EL’s but I keep leaning towards the EL because of the Outdoorsmans stud I can install on them for tripod mounting. What have you guys found is the best way to tripod mount the Noctivids? Is that enough of a reason to not want the Noctivids?