Maven C.1 vs Vortex Viper HD

bobr1

WKR
Hey all,

So I've been researching,reading up and looking at getting a set of 10x42 binoculars. I have read great reviews about the Maven C.1 on here and also good reviews on the vipers. I can get both discounted although the vipers are about $70 more. They seem to have very similar specs so I am just trying to see if people have had both or would recommend one over the other.

Thanks,

Bob

I've used both. In my eyes the maven c1 was better than the vipers. They rivaled the razors. I've said it for a long time, the c1 is a fantastic buy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
B

bobr1

WKR
I've used both. In my eyes the maven c1 was better than the vipers. They rivaled the razors. I've said it for a long time, the c1 is a fantastic buy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Great. Thanks for the advice.

I have owned both. I personally think they're both good buys, each with their pros and cons.

The C.1 has the better view hands down. Super crisp, super clear, and has a wonderful pop to the colors. They have a wow factor that most binoculars under $1k don't have. The C.1 also does much much better in low light and in glare than the Vipers from my comparisons. However, the C.1 isn't without its flaws. In order to get an optic at that price point Maven (or really the company that actually makes the C.1) had to compromise in other areas. The eye cups are pretty lame, and don't stay in the same position very well, at least for me. The Viper has much better eye cups IMO. The FOV on the C.1 is tiny as well. The FOV on the C.1 is listed at 314 vs 341 for the Vipers. The difference is noticeable IMO. The C.1 also suffers from a pretty lame depth of field where the Vipers are a bit better. I also prefer the ergonomics of the Vipers to the C.1.

I'm no expert but I've compared them quite a bit in different conditions. If it were me I would choose the C.1 but only barely. The view is so much better through the C.1 but the Vipers annoy me less since I don't have to constantly fix the eyecup location and constantly refocus.

IdahoHntr

WKR
I own the C.1s and have had a lot of opportunity to compare them to the Vipers a buddy of mine just bought. I was originally trying to make the same decision you are. To me the C.1s are hands down better binos. So much more clear and crisp. I don't have any issues with my eye cups and the binos have performed flawlessly in about a year of use. I really do think you are getting A LOT for your money with the C.1s. They compare much closer with the Vortex Razors in my experience.

OP
B

bobr1

WKR
Ordered the Mavens and just got them in last weekend. Took them out on an elk scouting trip and they are really nice. I am glad I ended up getting them. Thanks everyone for the recommendation.

Ordered the Mavens and just got them in last weekend. Took them out on an elk scouting trip and they are really nice. I am glad I ended up getting them. Thanks everyone for the recommendation.

Great to hear! They’re a smart purchase for sure.