Short tripod for spotter

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
I think I’ve finally decided on a spotter. ....likely the Kowa 773.

But now I need a tripod and head. I can’t believe how many tripods there are! This is as tough a decision as choosing the spotter.

I will only be using it for the spotter (not binos) and 99% of the time will be using it very low to the ground.

I know heavier pods are more stable. But I’d like to keep this pretty light. Especially since I’ll be using it low to the ground and cause I’m splurging for a bit heavier glass. I’m hoping I can add a hook or jerry rig a way to weight it (any ideas on that?).

So what’s the best tripod/head combo per ounce and dollar?

Thank you so much!

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Perfect timing for this tread:

Just Arrived:

ProMaster Guide GD525CK Professional CF Tripod Kit With Head - Limited Edition #2194
only $279.99
, however, as a forum member you get an even better price, give a call. 516-217-1000
2194.jpg

The PROMASTER GUIDE GD525 Carbon Fiber Tripod Kit is a terrific, lightweight support for general purpose photography with DSLRs and Mirrorless cameras. At just 13 3/4" long when fully collapsed and weighing-in at less than 3 lbs, this high packable unit can be taken just about anywhere. Slide it into your backpack or luggage for travel. Rely on its excellent load capacity for steady shots. Use the Guide's dovetail QR ball head (arca-swiss compatible) with a variety of plates, brackets, and accessories, from ProMaster and others, for flexibility with many types and styles of photography. A short, ground-level column (included) can be used to replace the standard 2-stage column for low angles and macro work. Multiple leg angles help you tame uneven terrain and achieve unique compositions. Finally, a retractable weight hook lets you add more stability when needed. Whatever type of photography you may love, the ProMaster Guide will take your camera and your work to new heights.

KIT SPECIFICATIONS
Maximum Working Height: 62 1/4" / 158.1 cm
Maximum Height with column down: 47 1/4" / 120 cm
Minimum Working Height: 8 3/8" / 21.3 cm
Folded Length: 13 3/4" / 35 cm
Maximum Load: 17 1/2 lbs / 8 kg
Weight: 2 lbs 8 5/8 oz / 1.15 kg

BALL HEAD SPECIFICATIONS:
Height: 3" / 7.6 cm
Weight: 8 3/8 oz / 0.24 kg

TRIPOD LEG SPECIFICATIONS:
Maximum Working Height: 59 1/4" / 150.5 cm
Maximum Working Height with column down: 44 1/4" / 112.3 cm
Minimum Working Height: 5 3/8" / 13.7 cm
Folded Length: 13 3/4" / 35 cm
Weight: 2 lbs 1/4 oz / 0.91 kg

If there is anything you're looking for please give us a call at 516-217-1000. It is always our pleasure to speak with you. Always give a call to discuss options and what would be best for your needs

Have a great day.

Thank you for your continued support.
If there is anything else that I can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
516-217-1000, 212-753-5128
Please visit our web site @ Cameras,Binoculars, Spotting Scopes, Rifle Scopes | Camera Land NY
Long Islands Largest Camera and Sports Optics Superstore

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
Doug,
Just watched a review on that and it looks exactly like a sirui, any coincidence?

I have been real happy with the sirui legs I have, just looking for something a bit lighter and not quite so tall since my scope will now be angled and the last was the 884 straight.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No, it does not come from the same factory. The Promaster has a no fault warranty. This tripod closes down super small and is very light. When you call and hear the forum price you'll be blown away.
This has a superior head as well

OP
F

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone using the Slik mini?
About the lightest one I can find....
Not sure how stable it would be tho. For $80 might be worth a shot.

OP
F

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks huntsmen-
Did you keep the ballhead that came on the mini? What size scope were u using? Head held it fine?

I replaced the head with a spare manfrotto 128RC (have 3 tripods with same). I have my bino adapter, my 65mm swaro and my 80mm swaro all set up with the same QR plates for quick swaps between any of my tripod/heads. The 80mm needs the balance offset a bit, for the mini to work well with it

I also use the Slik mini w/Swaro 80mm and it has worked out very well for me. I bought it on here for $30 (if I remember right), it weighs 26 oz. and has been plenty durable and sturdy enough for my needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a set of sirui 2204 legs and like them a lot, but now with an angled sporter I dont need the spotter as high. I gave camera land a call after looking at this and comparing, the price for us forum members is a hell of a deal, so I have one coming to try out and see if I could run this for my kowa 77 and then eventually a set of 12x50 el's

Amazon.com : AmazonBasics 52-Inch Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod with Bag : Camera Tripods : Camera & Photo

I use this one or one almost the same and it has been great, I think I changed the head to a different ball head I had.

Looks very similar to that promaster posted above...

Ive used this one with my 77mm Leica spotter with good results. I try not to extend the legs any further than I have to, and always extend the upper, larger diameter sections before extending the skinny ones at the bottom. You will also get more stability using the 3 legs to achieve the necessary height over using the center column

come2elmo

WKR
I bought a Primos Trigger stick short tripod and cheapy pan/tilt head from amazon and like it a lot. You cant use it standing up but it is real handy and easy to adjust very quickly when sitting. Real easy to swap out the glass for the yoke and shoot as well.

tracker12

WKR
Just got my Sirui T-1204 in the mail and it is very nice. With my Swaro ATM its all I need for height.

I prefer the Slick Sprint Pro over the Mini. Basically the same except the leg extensions are longer on the Pro. It is a bit stiffer at low settings and obviously will set up taller. I have an angled Swaro 65mm and a Nikon ED50 straight scope. I gave the Mini to a friend almost unused. The Pro is 8 seasons old and been on a ton of sheep and caribou backpack hunts with another coming up next week. There are better tripods but it works fine for me at 28 ounces with the center pipe removed (it unscrews and takes a second to screw back on. I never use the extension but it would raise the scope up another 10” or so if you so desired. Good luck with your tripod search.