Rifle Scope *Suggestions Welcome**

rvanbw00

FNG
I recently bought a Tikka T3 in 7mm. Im now looking for glass to mount on it. I went with the 7mm given its versatility, as I hope to use it for not only whitetail at home, but also mulies and elk out west. I dont have much interest in shooting past 600 yds. I've recently looked at the Leupold VX3i with CDS 4.5x14x40/50, but am curious as to opinions for not only other brands, but other dialing options and magnifications. Im also budget minded, not wanting to exceed $700 or so. Id love some opinions on my situation and what has worked (or not worked) for you. Im really looking for the best bang for my buck (so many puns) for my current optic situation. Thanks!

ofl0926

WKR
Zeiss conquest HD5 or v4, meopta meopro or save a bit more for a nightforce SHV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kraze

FNG
You have several SWFA options in that price range that would offer rugged, reliable dialing capabilities. You'd have the 3-9, the 3-15 and if you wanted to save some money, you could even do the fixed 6.

Also as mentioned above, you're almost at the SHV price range, which is another solid option. If you're willing to wait around for a good deal on a used scope, you could probably find a SHV or Bushnell LRHS for close to your budget.

Bro Mo

FNG
I liked my Sig Whiskey 5 2-10x a lot. The tracking was perfect if you don't need more than a single revolution, the glass was good, and I like their illumination. I find the illumination is necessary in dark timber before the end of legal light when an animal looks all black or is also a black bear. I was on 2x way more than 10x and would rather have a lower low than a higher high in the range. A small DOPE taped somewhere is fine if you don't get a custom dial. I also like the ACSS reticles on the Primary Arms scopes and would consider a FFP version and a print out of the drops taped somewhere.

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
Ive been looking really hard at the Swarovski Z3 4-12 with the ballistic turret. If you talk to Doug at Cameraland he'll have a deal for you but it will be a couple hundred bucks over what you're looking to spend. I'm in a similar boat as far as shooting distance and I really like their color ring system that allows you to zero multiple known distances and adjust your elevation without much thought. I don't know if anyone else makes a similar one but I've had a chance to check it out and do some reading and it's at the top of my list. Lots of great options out there though.

The field is full in that range. I'm by no means and expert and don't have as much experience as many on here so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

I currently have a vortex pst gen 2 5-25 which I really like. Clear glass. Solid adjustments. Positive clicks. First focal plane. It's a bit heavy though. I plan to add a 4-16x50 pst 2 to a rifle as a lighter weight alternative. If you watch for sales and use discount gift cards and even price matching, it's possible to get them in the 7-800 range.

Zeiss conquest hd5 3-15x42. I really like the glass on this scope. It just seems really clear and bright. They can be found under $700. I'm moving away from bdc reticles so I'll be selling mine, but if you like bdc reticles I would take a look.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
If you are going to dial, get a scope that is built for dialing. Swarovski, Leupold, Zeiss, Vortex, etc.- are NOT built for dialing and if you actually use them enough in practice, it’s a “when” they fail, not “if” they fail.

Nightforce
SWFA SS
Bushnell LRHS*

Nikon Monarch or Zeiss Conquest 3-15.
No way I'd want a 4X or 5X minimum magnification.
Especially for whitetails, you need the field of view that 3X affords.

OP
rvanbw00

rvanbw00

FNG
Im trying to keep my purchase limited to the stock Cabela's offers - I racked up a pile of points building our house and am looking to use those towards this purchase before dumping the credit card.

Has anyone had any experience with the Athlon Helos BTR FFP? I have been snooping around and reading reviews on these scopes and havent really come across anything bad yet. Thoughts?

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Im trying to keep my purchase limited to the stock Cabela's offers - I racked up a pile of points building our house and am looking to use those towards this purchase before dumping the credit card.

Has anyone had any experience with the Athlon Helos BTR FFP? I have been snooping around and reading reviews on these scopes and havent really come across anything bad yet. Thoughts?

You'll be very happy with it. Nice scope with great optics

Cabelas price matches and with active junky you can get some cash back.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
One of my favorite Nikon scopes is the MONARCH 5. Amazing ED glass and the one I use on my custom .300 Win is 3-15x50 with Nikon's Advanced BDC reticle. This scope has been discontinued and can be found for some great prices if you look around. You can dial in your rifle, scope and ammo using Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program for excellent downrange accuracy. I have taken KS whitetail at 599 using my rifle and never not had a 1 shot stop. Definitely worth checking out. Another nice scope from Nikon that you may like fir hunting is the BLACK X1000 4-16x50 MOA reticle. This is a second focal plane scope and can also be dialed in using Spot On and you can easily turn knobs to dial in your shot. For a hunting rifle, I think either of these options will fill the freezer and give you a great value for your $.

IMG_7481.jpg