Time for a range finder upgrade

I've had a Leica 900 for a while and it's been great. However I started treestand hunting and want something with angle compensation. I shoot a longbow instinctive but I do love having the confidence in knowing how far something is. And in a treestand it's very deceiving!

I don't get crazy with rifle shooting, prairie dogs out to five but one day soon I'd like to learn.

My instinct says go with the Leica 1000. The Leica seems to have the best glass. Glass is important as sometimes I won't take my binos. Then the way a Leica fits my hand I really like.

But since I bought my Leica there's some new top hitters on the marker. Namely the Sig Kilo and the Nikon Monarch.

I looked at the Nikon today and wow, the stabilization is incredible!!!!

They didn't have the Kilo 2000 but I did look at the Sigs they did have. It seems these are the highest rated rangefinders.

I also tried the Leupold 1600 TBR. This seemed to have the clearest and brightest display.

So Leica vs Sig vs Nikon. The image stabilization in the Nikon seems to be the winner and Snyder said to get this one and he's never steered me wrong.

Is it legit to Amazon a few to field test?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

gdpolk

Lil-Rokslider
Not to sound like an optics snob but I would recommend selling your binos and rangefinder and then buying a pair of range finding binos from one of the top 3 companies. My reasoning for this is multi-fold:
1) Dedicated rangefinders have poor optics compared to even mid grade binoculars. Quality binocular glass will let you use it in poor lighting conditions with much more reliability than a stand alone rangefinder.
2) Binoculars are one of the absolute most important hunting tools ever and are the only optic taken on all hunts. Investing in them is more important than in your scopes in my opinion.
3) The bulk/weight of both a rangefinder and binocular becomes cumbersome in the field whereas rangefinding binoculars are more streamlined.
4) Binoculars with built in ranging allows you to range find without the movement and seamlessly so you can range moving animals without having to find them in the view again as well as range animals up close with less movement.

Your measures may vary but if I felt that I just HAD to have a rangefinder for hunting, I'd do what I could to have it built into some alpha class binoculars.

cwegga

FNG
I'd say go with the Leica unless you have hand tremors or can't swing the money. I bought the Nikon and the one I got was a dud. I returned it and got the Sig. The Sig is great. I've done side by side comparisons with all three. The Leica 1600b I was testing was slower to range but could range the farthest and in the worst (brightest) light. It also has the best glass/clarity. The Sig and Nikon both range faster normally and in their constant ranging modes. The stabilization is nice in the Nikon, but the one I got failed to range at about 400yds closer than the Sig. I'm not sure if I had a lemon but I wasn't going to bother sending it back and getting another of the same.

The range issues may not matter to you if you don't have the need to range past 600 yards or so. I wouldn't consider any of them a replacement for binos but the Leica will be the best to look through.

Vortex ranger 1300.
Red readout is the way to go in my opinion. Its barely bigger then the leica.
I wont give up my leica 1200 for rifle hunting anytime soon, but I got my lady a 1300 for archery and it seemed to do the part. After missing a buck this yr on a steep shot, I'll prob have a 1300 next yr, or will sell the leica get the kilo 2200.

Mt Al

WKR
Not to sound like an optics snob but I would recommend selling your binos and rangefinder and then buying a pair of range finding binos from one of the top 3 companies. My reasoning for this is multi-fold:
1) Dedicated rangefinders have poor optics compared to even mid grade binoculars. Quality binocular glass will let you use it in poor lighting conditions with much more reliability than a stand alone rangefinder.
2) Binoculars are one of the absolute most important hunting tools ever and are the only optic taken on all hunts. Investing in them is more important than in your scopes in my opinion.
3) The bulk/weight of both a rangefinder and binocular becomes cumbersome in the field whereas rangefinding binoculars are more streamlined.
4) Binoculars with built in ranging allows you to range find without the movement and seamlessly so you can range moving animals without having to find them in the view again as well as range animals up close with less movement.

Your measures may vary but if I felt that I just HAD to have a rangefinder for hunting, I'd do what I could to have it built into some alpha class binoculars.

Been thinking about this for a few years, but thinking isn't doing. Sound wisdom for 90% of us. I don't know the applicability for a tree stand: one hand/smaller movement with a range finder vs. binos. However, for me, range finding binos are the ticket. Must. Start. Saving!!

FlyGuy

WKR
I think you are on the right track with the two you have it narrowed down to. I don't think either are perfect but solid choices.

I have the sig 2200 and it's impressive. I haven't really shopped for a RF since so there could be something else out there that I missed, but the Nikon is about the only thing I've considered since buying the 2200. Cabelas puts it on sale 1-2 times/year, got it for ~ $350. For one RF to cover archery and rifle this fits the bill for me. Ranges out as far out and as close as I need. The 7x magnification is just about the perfect balance too.

My only frustration with the sig is the rather large size of the aiming circle. I've had some trouble grabbing a range through brush b/c of it.

Like you, when I heard Snyder talking about the Nikon I was very interested, but too many negative reviews made me leery of making a change. I think image stabilization is the future of RF, but I'm going to stick with what I have for a few more years until they get the kinks worked out.

Regarding the RF Binos, I wouldn't recommend them for what you are doing. I won a pair of Furys from goHUNT last Christmas and used them on an Aoudad hunt in TX. If you were a dedicated rifle hunter then I think they make sense, but not for the archery/trad guy IMO. To the best of my knowledge, all of the RF Binos have some minimum range limitations that make them less than ideal for archery (but validate that 1st). It also seems that the glass used is of lower quality than the non-RF binos within each brand's line. Not sure why that is, assume it's to keep costs down? I also find them awkward to use, personal opinion. But the biggest reason I would steer you away from them is that for up close archery situations with a bow in one hand and a critter very close, I don't like having to mess with large binos just to get a range. Way too much movement to dig a large pair of binos out of a chest harness, bring up, then get back into a harness. Plus, at trad distances, there may be a whole lot of focus dial turns needed (which can be tricky one handed) just to get a range on something close by thru 10x binos. I want a small, teathered RF that I can always draw with one hand, range, and then just drop to shoot.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have the Leica CRF 900 and the Sig Kilo 2000. They both work fine, but the glass in the Leica is quite a bit better than the Sig. Everything, including the readout is just absolutely crystal clear. My Sig got wet this year and I couldn't even see through it.

If I was a dedicated rifle hunter there is no doubt that I would have RF binos. But as a bowhunter I wouldn't even consider those. IMO I would stick with the Leica 900 and save your money. With a stickbow the distances aren't going to be that far anyway and misses aren't going to be from not having angle comp in your RF.

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using Nikon's first Gen Vibration Reduction rangefinder for 2 years now and it is the real deal. Zero issues in all kinds of weather condition's and the VR realy makes a difference when picking up a deer at 500+ yards. While i haven't used Nikon's MONARCH 3000 Stabilized RF in the filed it is faster and more compact than the 7iVR I own. Nikon's stabilized RF is defintley worth checking out and it's 5 year warranty will make sure you don't have any problem's for year to come. I have also checked out Nikon's LaserForce bino's and I definitely see how they can be very useful. MONARCH glass so nice and clear and the rangefinder function works quickly and accurately. Again, no field time but I can see how it would make spot and stalk hunting easier.

IMG_0209_1.jpg

Brendan

WKR
I've now had two SIG failures, each which will have cost me 6-8 weeks to have them fixed via warranty. Last one has left me on a crappy backup rangefinder for this hunting season unless I want to go out and buy something new.... Sort of hope it's a fluke because I like them otherwise (2000 and 2200).

But, would be nice to see something real nice from Leica next year...

FlyGuy

WKR
I've now had two SIG failures, each which will have cost me 6-8 weeks to have them fixed via warranty. Last one has left me on a crappy backup rangefinder for this hunting season unless I want to go out and buy something new.... Sort of hope it's a fluke because I like them otherwise (2000 and 2200).

But, would be nice to see something real nice from Leica next year...
Dang. Can you elaborate?

My second pair of Leica geovids are having issues functioning in the cold just like the previous pair.. 35 degrees today and they quit on me.

Brendan

WKR
Dang. Can you elaborate?

Had a Kilo 2000 - no issues. Sold it to "upgrade".

Bought a 2200 used, and it wouldn't range even close to it's advertised max range. Sent it back, 6-8 weeks later, they concurred that something was wrong and sent me a brand new one. (That was June, got it back in August this year)

Took the brand new 2200 to the range one day in August and it completely locked up in some sort of error mode. Wouldn't range or function at all, couldn't be reset, basically was completely bricked and unusable. Sent it back and I'm still waiting. Using a very old bushnell right now that I can see worth shit when light is low.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think you are on the right track with the two you have it narrowed down to. I don't think either are perfect but solid choices.

I have the sig 2200 and it's impressive. I haven't really shopped for a RF since so there could be something else out there that I missed, but the Nikon is about the only thing I've considered since buying the 2200. Cabelas puts it on sale 1-2 times/year, got it for ~ $350. For one RF to cover archery and rifle this fits the bill for me. Ranges out as far out and as close as I need. The 7x magnification is just about the perfect balance too.

My only frustration with the sig is the rather large size of the aiming circle. I've had some trouble grabbing a range through brush b/c of it.

Like you, when I heard Snyder talking about the Nikon I was very interested, but too many negative reviews made me leery of making a change. I think image stabilization is the future of RF, but I'm going to stick with what I have for a few more years until they get the kinks worked out.

Regarding the RF Binos, I wouldn't recommend them for what you are doing. I won a pair of Furys from goHUNT last Christmas and used them on an Aoudad hunt in TX. If you were a dedicated rifle hunter then I think they make sense, but not for the archery/trad guy IMO. To the best of my knowledge, all of the RF Binos have some minimum range limitations that make them less than ideal for archery (but validate that 1st). It also seems that the glass used is of lower quality than the non-RF binos within each brand's line. Not sure why that is, assume it's to keep costs down? I also find them awkward to use, personal opinion. But the biggest reason I would steer you away from them is that for up close archery situations with a bow in one hand and a critter very close, I don't like having to mess with large binos just to get a range. Way too much movement to dig a large pair of binos out of a chest harness, bring up, then get back into a harness. Plus, at trad distances, there may be a whole lot of focus dial turns needed (which can be tricky one handed) just to get a range on something close by thru 10x binos. I want a small, teathered RF that I can always draw with one hand, range, and then just drop to shoot.

Not all of the RF binos use lower grade glass in them. The Leica glass is their top end glass. Swaro uses non HD glass in their EL rangers, but not sure what Vortex uses. Zeiss I believe uses their good glass as well. Can't throw out a blanket statement like that, not all companies do the downgrade on glass.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
Not all of the RF binos use lower grade glass in them. The Leica glass is their top end glass. Swaro uses non HD glass in their EL rangers, but not sure what Vortex uses. Zeiss I believe uses their good glass as well. Can't throw out a blanket statement like that, not all companies do the downgrade on glass.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Did not know that about the Leica. Thanks for the correction. Wasn't intended to be a blanket, more of a heads up that buyer needs to look into it further before purchasing a pair from any brand.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I need to purchase a backup rangefinder. I’ve been using a Bushnell Yardage Pro for over 10 years and it has been awesome. Are the newer Bushnells as good as the older one like I have?

frankrb3

WKR
I had problems with my sig kilo 2000 as well. I bought mine from Cabelas so the return/exchange was easy. It just wouldn't range anything past about 1100m. THe replacement unit I got barely does better. Not sure what the deal is but I've never seen it range anything near 2000m. THought about exchanging this one as well but I'm starting to think that this is as good as they get. Kind of like the advertised range on hand held radios. THey may say 16 mile range but thats's almost never the case in the field. Otherwise I like the size and speed of the unit. Just wished it would range further.

tracker12

WKR
I mostly bow hunt out of a tree. I just sold my Leica 1000's and bought a set of Leica 1600-R. They have Angle compensation to 10 yards. The 1600 B starts at 100 yards. The size and quality of glass of the Leica keeps me coming back to them.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I had problems with my sig kilo 2000 as well. I bought mine from Cabelas so the return/exchange was easy. It just wouldn't range anything past about 1100m. THe replacement unit I got barely does better. Not sure what the deal is but I've never seen it range anything near 2000m. THought about exchanging this one as well but I'm starting to think that this is as good as they get. Kind of like the advertised range on hand held radios. THey may say 16 mile range but thats's almost never the case in the field. Otherwise I like the size and speed of the unit. Just wished it would range further.

You need a good reflective target to get out to the max range. The furthest I've ranged with my Sig Kilo 2000 was something like 2600 yards, but that was a big building. Out in the field this year 1900 yards was the furthest but it doesn't always continue to show those long distances. They will flash up on the screen and then disappear quickly.