Maven C1 vs B2

rushbt

FNG
Hey all,
New member to the forum, though have browsed many threads before joining

Seems like a large consensus here is that Maven binoculars are about the best bang for the buck that one can buy
Admittedly, I have been a Vortex fanboy for a while and was about to pull the trigger on some Razors or Vipers when I found many people saying on here that Maven C1's are better than Vortex Razors!
Given the price difference, that really swayed me to investigate Maven's

However, I've yet to find a direct quantitative comparison between Maven C1's and B2's
I've found "C1's aren't Swaro's....but for the money....WOW"
And I've found "B2's are some of the best $1,000 glass you can get"
Even Maven's website has a subjective comparison of "excellent" and "good" in a matrix comparing the two

I've long heard the expression, "buy the best glass you can afford".
I can afford the B2's. But if the quality isn't overwhelmingly better, I'd rather spend the cost difference on a good pack

For reference, intended use of bino's is hunting mule deer and elk in Nevada

Thanks in advance!

Gonewest

WKR
I would demo them and decide which ones you like best. Their demo program is pretty nice.

My partner did that and demoed the C1 10x42, B2 9s and 11s.

We spent an evening testing them along with some others. He ended up keeping the 9s.

If I could afford either I would not hesitate to get the B2. I felt they were a lot nicer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The online talk about the C1 has been interesting to follow. I own a pair and really enjoy them for what they are, but I try to stress on Rokslide and other forums that while the optics in the C1 are incredible for the price, Maven (the company that makes the C1, actually) had to bring down the cost in other ways. I would not personally use an overarching statement and say the C1 is better than the Razor HD, because in many ways it isn’t. The Viper HD is better in many ways, even. What you’re getting with the C1 is a great image for the price but you also have a shallow depth of field, small field of view, not the best eye cups IMO, and no locking diopter. The B2 on the other hand is made with all the top features of a $1k binocular and is worth buying if you have the funds. Just my 2 cents.

I owned a pair of C1's for about 3 weeks. Hunted with them, birdwatched with them, and eventually returned them. Why? Because the ball-bearings in the eyecups were TOO SMOOTH and the eyecups wouldn't stay up. They were too easy to move up and down. I called Maven and they said that "due to patent infringements" or some such thing, they couldn't change the design of their eyecups. So I returned them.

I bump my bins too often to have eyecups that move around on me. The shame is those were actually over-engineered. If they were less smooth and harder to move, I'd probably still own those C1's because the view was phenomenal.

Firehawk

WKR
I have a 9x B2 and a 8x C1. Not even a close comparison. B2s are better in every way except size/weight. My C1 is still a great instrument that performs extremely well, but it is not in the same ball game as my B2. The B2 is a wonderful binocular that is easy to look through, very crisp, bright, so far, very durable, great on a tripod and a lot wider FOV. The C1 is a bit narrow on the FOV, crisp glass, brighter than the Viper HD we compared them to, light and good looking. But they are not a B2 and Maven never intended them to be that.

FWIW, that is my experience. Three friends now have 11x B2 binos as well now. I can't hold an 11x steady, but on a tripod they are terrific.

FH

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
The last 2-3 posts are spot on, but the eye cups on my C1are a different deal than what was described. Sample variation is likely more prevalent when saving costs. Optics choice is a series of compromises. I have the 8x42 C1, the 9x45 B2 and the 8x42 B1 and the 8x30 B3. The C2 is a terrific choice when money savings are a paramount need. The C1 costs are brought down via a simpler (read less expensive) eyepiece and results in a narrower fov. It is very likely modular in construction and not repairable. But it is pretty amazing what they got under the hood for the price they charge. It has a very close image to the B1, but the B1 has the advantage, particularly in an immediately noticeable wider fov. The B1 has a noticeable construction advantage, The B3 is one of my all time favorite binoculars. It is essentially a 3/4 model of the B1. The B2 will push anything made, regardless of who makes it, where they make , and what you pay for it. I'm not going to say they are the absolute alpha equal, but you will never-know there is a difference unless you have the B2 side by side with a more expensive glass. Personally, for my money and what I got out of the money I personally spent, my current two binocular combo is the 8x30 B3 and the 9x45 B2.

Last edited:

IdahoHntr

WKR
I can say that the C.1 is a great bino. I haven't had any issues with the eye cups not staying in place as others have had, but maybe I'm out of the norm in that. Optic quality they are pretty similar to the Razors, but definitely better than the Viper HDs. For the money I think you get a lot of bang for your buck.

That being said, if I had the money available, I would own the B.2 in 11x45. I have yet to get a chance to check them out, but from what I've read, the B series tends to compete more with the big euro glass companies. The C.1 is a good deal for what you get, but as a lot of people who have experience with both have said above, the B series binos definitely seem to be a significant step up.