Has Anyone "Downgraded" Their Optics?

hunt1up

WKR
So I currently have some Swarovision EL 10x42s. I've had them for maybe 4 years and I love them. Zero complaints. Before I owned them I'd had some Vortex Viper HD, Zeiss Conquest, Meoptas, and a few others. None of them were really put to heavy use though, only some antelope hunts. I use the Swaros all the time so they've seen a lot more use than those others. I have a ton of money in gear and pretty much everything I have for hunting is top end stuff. I've slowly worked my way up from entry level stuff to where I am today.

But every time I read about all these other great binos on the market for less money, I wonder if I really NEED my ELs. There's several really nice options for a lot less money that will pretty much handle 99.9% of what I'd use them for.

So, has anyone every had the alpha glass and then went to a cheaper option? Were you just as happy? I've been giving those Nikon Monarch HGs a pretty hard look.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I have 8X32 El's. They have not left the safe since getting the 10X30 CL Companions. Nothing lacking and much lighter.

AGPank

WKR
Why limit yourself to one pair?

Buy something else to try in another platform.
8x32 - is extremely overlooked in my opinion. I have the EL and love them. Picked up an Ultravid too because I found a price I couldn’t say no to. Much more compact and high quality.
Maybe a 12x50??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
hunt1up

hunt1up

WKR
Why limit yourself to one pair?

Buy something else to try in another platform.
8x32 - is extremely overlooked in my opinion. I have the EL and love them. Picked up an Ultravid too because I found a price I couldn’t say no to. Much more compact and high quality.
Maybe a 12x50??

I really only need the one pair. I take 1-2 western mountain hunts a year and everything else is IL deer hunting. I use my 10s for everything. I'd likely be making a move from 10s to other 10s. My main consideration for changing would be the $1000 in cash that would be quite useful toward next year's moose trip.

tdhanses

WKR
Why change when yours are paid for and the best of the best, unless you need cash I wouldn’t do it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I sold my Meopta 15x56's and will stick with my Kahles 8x32's and Kahles 10x42's for everything. The 15's were great for 3D, but that's pretty much all I used them for.

OP
hunt1up

hunt1up

WKR
Why change when yours are paid for and the best of the best, unless you need cash I wouldn’t do it.

I don't need the cash necessarily, the kids aren't going to starve, but it's still a big chunk of change that can be utilized elsewhere. I'm going to order some Nikon HGs and compare them.

tdhanses

WKR
Yeah that will really give you an answer, you may find that everyone that praises the mid grade glass hasn’t had high end to truely compare to but then you have to decide if your ok with the diff.

handwerk

WKR
If it fills your needs well, stick with what you have, it sounds like you worked your way up through other binos to get to the EL's why go backwards?

I don't need the cash necessarily, the kids aren't going to starve, but it's still a big chunk of change that can be utilized elsewhere. I'm going to order some Nikon HGs and compare them.

Let us know what you think! I'd love to hear how you think they compare to alpha glass from someone who has been using alpha for as long as yourself.

wyosteve

WKR
Since you said you 'worked your way up' to great gear, I assume there was some reason you weren't completely satisfied with lesser items. If that was the case, I don't think you'd be happy going back. The other benefit of Swaros is the brand recognition/resale factor.

LostArra

WKR
Once I got good glass that fit my face perfectly I quit looking at anything new. In fact, I rarely look at the optics section.
I don't even know why I opened this thread.

OP
hunt1up

hunt1up

WKR
If it fills your needs well, stick with what you have, it sounds like you worked your way up through other binos to get to the EL's why go backwards?

I really never utilized any of the glass to it’s full potential. Glassing antelope and mulies from the road isn’t really a fine test. Any glass will work for that. I worked my way up mostly because that’s the conventional thought...buy the best you can afford. I can certainly afford the Swaros I have, I’m just curious if it’s truly worth it when it comes down to routine daily use. Yeah they’re the best, but will I truly notice it when it comes down to dead critters?

$1000 sure makes the drop camp moose hunt deposit more palatable.

I’ll take the Nikons out with the ELs when they arrive and do some side-by-side glassing at dark. I’ll be in the woods a lot in the near future.

daddie63

WKR
Im looking foward to hearing your thoughts on the two. I understand the extra $1000 in hand and have thought the same myself.

tracker12

WKR
I can see changing power but I will never drop in quality of glass. That item is worth keeping the best. I can kill just as much game with a savage 110 as with a Gunwerks. But I need to see them first.

One thing I did was buy my SLC's in 8 X 42 vice 10's so I can get the most use out of them in the east and west.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
In my opinion if you don’t need the money, don’t do it. You own arguably the best pair of binoculars on the market.. the best pair in my opinion for my eyes. I wouldn’t trade them in to go on the hunt for another pair. Might just need up circling back to the ELs anyway. I took a slightly less money/quality pair of 10 powers with me this year, thinking they are good binoculars and I’m in my spotter mostly anyways so I’ll be fine. I really wanted my swaros with me after a couple of days. Just my experience and opinion, but if it isn’t broken don’t fix it. Unless you really just want to play with gear.

OP
hunt1up

hunt1up

WKR
I can see changing power but I will never drop in quality of glass. That item is worth keeping the best. I can kill just as much game with a savage 110 as with a Gunwerks. But I need to see them first.

One thing I did was buy my SLC's in 8 X 42 vice 10's so I can get the most use out of them in the east and west.

I guess that gets down to the point of my debate. How many animals am I really missing by having Swaros vs $1000 piece of glass? I’m generally guilty of having the best of everything but this one always makes me think.

I had a Swaro Z3 on my Tikka. I sold it and put on a VX-2. I mean, what situation is there when a solid Leupold scope won’t work under hunting conditions?

The only thing in my life that may convince me to step down in glass quality would be if i wasn’t hunting as hard as i used to and wanted to use the investment to fund other hobbies. Passions change in people’s lives and there’s no shame in “downgrading” to chase another hobby for a period of time.