Lightweight scope for rifle

Hey guys,

So I’m in the process of putting together a lightweight budget rig for backpack style hunting. I’m looking to keep shots within 600, and keep the weight LOW. It’s going on the Tikka I got from the eurooptic closeout.

At first I considered a Nightforce, but then anything they offer goes against the lightweight part. The next thought was in the entirely opposite direction, going with a (now discontinued) Leupold ultralight in like a 2-8 or 3-9x3x with whatever their BDC reticle is.

I’m open to suggestions that aren’t vortex. I’d like to keep the weight no higher than 12-14oz. I’d like to keep the magnification around 3 or 4 on the low end. Price isn’t really a huge deal, maybe keep it under $800? Less is better but quality still wins.

I put a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 mounted with Talley Ultra lites on the Tikka 243 closeout i bought my daughter . I backpacked with it and its very light. Haven’t weighed it but its next to nothing

OP
J
I kinda figured a Leupold of some sort would get the nod, the weight on them is awesome. I was just wondering if maybe I was overlooking another option.

Does anyone have any experience using a scope without parallax adjustment to 600?

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have a Leupold 2.5-8 on a fairly lightweight 270 (6 pounds, 6 ounces scoped). I like it a lot on that rifle. I wouldn’t be using that combination at 600 yards though. A muley I shot at 348 yards looked pretty small in the scope.

jeffpg

WKR
What cartridge is your rifle chambered in?

I have put together many lightweight rigs, and my all time favorite scope for them is the Kahles AH 3-9 x 42 with the TDS reticle. This fine optic is no longer being built, but if you are patient and diligent you can occasionally find one. I have collected many over the years. They weigh about 13 oz.

I also run the 11.4 oz Leupold VX3 2.5-8 x 36 with the Boone & Crockett reticle on a couple of rifles and I find the magnification to be enough that I've shot antelope out to 400 yards with them. If that's not enough magnification for you, Leupold offers more in other models, but the weight goes up with them.

OP
J
What cartridge is your rifle chambered in?

I have put together many lightweight rigs, and my all time favorite scope for them is the Kahles AH 3-9 x 42 with the TDS reticle. This fine optic is no longer being built, but if you are patient and diligent you can occasionally find one. I have collected many over the years. They weigh about 13 oz.

I also run the 11.4 oz Leupold VX3 2.5-8 x 36 with the Boone & Crockett reticle on a couple of rifles and I find the magnification to be enough that I've shot antelope out to 400 yards with them. If that's not enough magnification for you, Leupold offers more in other models, but the weight goes up with them.

Cartridge would be '06 running either 178s, 180s or possibly heavier if they shoot well.

I will keep my eyes open for the Kahles, otherwise it might end up with a vx3i. I'll probably up the magnification a bit, but it doesn't seem like the 4-14 is all that much heavier.

I've been thinking about a scope similar to your requirements lately and the best I've come across so far is the Maven RS.2 which would give me the option of dialing if I want. $550 and 12.4 oz.

If you are wanting to save money, an underrated scope is the minox zv3. My 3x9 weighs in at 13 oz and is surprisingly bright.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

LightFoot

WKR
+1 for Swarovski Z3

Not much more weight penalty on the Z6.

Leupold VX-3i is also a good choice.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

I've been thinking about a scope similar to your requirements lately and the best I've come across so far is the Maven RS.2 which would give me the option of dialing if I want. $550 and 12.4 oz.

By buddy just got one of these Mavens and its pretty sweet, and good price. I don't have any 1st hand experience with it though.

I have a couple VX-3 2.5-8x36 and i love them but it sounds like you want a little more magnification.

fap1800

Lil-Rokslider
I'm running a VX2 2-7x33 on my LW Hunter. I think it's in the neighborhood of 11oz, but prolly under powered for what you're looking for.

Graves14

WKR
I would and have considered a build like this myself and I would suggest considering a fixed 6x scope. Super simple, very durable, and for $800 you could get some really nice glass.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I just sold my last leupold a couple days ago. Now my lightest riflescope is just under 16 oz. But the extra 1/4 pound over the VX-2 for what it offers for me is worth it to me.

204guy

WKR
I just sold my last leupold a couple days ago. Now my lightest riflescope is just under 16 oz. But the extra 1/4 pound over the VX-2 for what it offers for me is worth it to me.
Heresy.... HERESY.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk