Tripod Reviews/Suggestions?

marktole

WKR
I am wondering what everyone is using for tripods because I am looking to get a new one. I have a slik 634 cf pro and it’s nice because it’s lightweight and I can stand while glassing with it, but it broke after just a few hunts! I can order the replacement parts from slik and get it fixed easily enough. I just don’t want it to break on me while I’m on a hunt again.

I’ve been looking around and always finding mixed reviews on tripods. I want one that can support an 85mm spotting scope in any condition (within reason), and still be tall enough for me to stand and glass with it at 6’ tall. Now, those kinds of tripods are pretty easy to find, but they’re 4 1/2 pounds. I need a max height of about 63” to glass with it standing, but also don’t want more than a 3# tripod. Price range is up to $300.

I’ve seen some from Oben that look good, but then read a bunch of mixed reviews. I have looked through Sirui’s line and can’t find one within the specs of 3#< and 63” max height or higher. Vanguard has some carbon fiber ones that might fit the bill, so does Three Legged Thing. The tripod I have found that seems to fit all the right criteria is the Sirui 1204XL, but that’s been discontinued.

Anyone out there have suggestions for a tripod with the criteria mentioned? Or have any experience with Oben, Vangaurd (carbon fiber specifically), and Three Legged Thing tripods in a hunting scenario to attest to their durability?

Forest

WKR
I'm in the market for a tripod as well. I struggle with the carbon fiber stuff to be honest, in regards to durability anyways. I think I might go with aluminum again just because of that. I was recommended a Slik sprint pro II series, they are very reasonable (will need a better head). But the regular ones will work for standing and are very lightweight. My only concern with it is how sturdy it will be in the wind, mainly just when its extended out all the way.
Not really answering your question, more so just sharing my findings ha

OP
marktole

marktole

WKR
No worries, thank you for the input! I will have to check out the slik sprint II tripods.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have oben. I’ll send update a little later when I have more time. It’s last 3 hard seasons but looking to replace it. The Sirui r 2204 is what I’m looking at

I have a slik Pro 700DS I use for PRS matches. It supports my 22lb rifle and has been great. It's only a few ounces heavier than than carbon ones, but at $100 from Amazon, if it breaks, I'll just get a new one. As for the head, I agree, and went to a RRS leveling head.

tdhanses

WKR
Curious what broke as well, been running the 624 for years without issue.

Forest

WKR
I have a slik Pro 700DS I use for PRS matches. It supports my 22lb rifle and has been great. It's only a few ounces heavier than than carbon ones, but at $100 from Amazon, if it breaks, I'll just get a new one. As for the head, I agree, and went to a RRS leveling head.
I can only find info on a 700DX, which look to be very heavy. Is the DS an older model???

OP
marktole

marktole

WKR
Curious what broke as well, been running the 624 for years without issue.

One of the stops for the leg positions got rounded off on one of the legs. Now one of my legs only has two usable positions. I need to replace the piece that the center column goes through and the legs attach to. It probably wouldn’t happen again because I’d be very conscious of the leg locks being pushed all the way down to the piece that stops it. But I have a sirui tripod that I used the year before a lot more than I’ve used the slik this year and didn’t have any issues. Also just kinda preferred the sirui, felt a little better built, like the position of the center column twist lock better.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
My oben has been OK. I’ve never liked the center column twist lock. You have to get it extremely tight and rubber comes off. The carbon is starting to split on center column and one of the legs is broke where it twists and twists so it’s a two handed operations to get it tight. It has also been used pretty hard for the last 3-4 years

We have a great tripod from Manfrotto, Manfrotto Befree Live Carbon Fiber Video Tripod Kit with Twist Leg Locks #MVKBFRTC-LIVEUS. This is a Carbon Fiber with a fluid pan head right at 63" with the head, folds down to 16" and weighs 3 lbs, normally it is $349.99, now thru black Friday would be $299.99

Give us a call

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Benro Carbon fiber that has 4 leg segments, but twist locks. Looking for something with flip locks that will support my Meopta 82mm scope. Prefer light weight, but I am done with twist locks. Never seam to get them tight enough.

OP
marktole

marktole

WKR
I’m looking at picking up this guy. Not decided yet though...

Access to this page has been denied.

That’s the tripod I have that I was looking to replace (noted in the OP) because it broke on me so quickly, although it is the twist lock version. I do think it was probably user error that broke the part so quickly. Replacement part was only $23 so I ordered that. I’ll give the tripod another go before I run out and get a different one.

OP
marktole

marktole

WKR
I have a Benro Carbon fiber that has 4 leg segments, but twist locks. Looking for something with flip locks that will support my Meopta 82mm scope. Prefer light weight, but I am done with twist locks. Never seam to get them tight enough.

You might check out the Sirui EN and ET series tripods they just came out with. There should be a 1204 and a 2204 of both the EN and ET. I’m sure that one of those 4 carbon fiber tripods will fall within your spec range, and they all have flip locks.

The Promaster we have that just went down to $149.99 from $279.99 becuase of the Instant Rebate blows the Slik away.
We have limited stock. Once they go that's it as it was a limited edition. It also comes with a great head that holds 17.5 lbs and a 1 year NO FAULT warranty
Check it out

Shop Online | Camera Land NY

Beendare

WKR
I have a carbon fiber Sirui that I like a lot. I can see where a guy can get a leg wedged between some rocks and snap a leg if you tried hard enough- /grin

If I was in the market for a tripod I would jump on Dougs Promaster deal for $150

OP
marktole

marktole

WKR
The Promaster we have that just went down to $149.99 from $279.99 becuase of the Instant Rebate blows the Slik away.
We have limited stock. Once they go that's it as it was a limited edition. It also comes with a great head that holds 17.5 lbs and a 1 year NO FAULT warranty
Check it out

Shop Online | Camera Land NY

Can you elaborate on the "blows the Slik away" part of your comment? Blows it away in price? Build quality? Durability? I've never had the chance to look at a Promaster so the clarification would be nice.

tracker12

WKR
I recently bought a Sirui and am very pleased with it. I went with the 1204 since I did not need lots of height.

OP
marktole

marktole

WKR
I recently bought a Sirui and am very pleased with it. I went with the 1204 since I did not need lots of height.

Do you know if it’s the newest ones they released with flip locks? Is it the EN or ET series or something else? I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on it because I’ve been looking at those ones.