AGC vs Marsupial Bino Harness?

TheCougar

WKR
Yeah, but I like the “fold flat” of the marsupial be the OV which has the big scoop on the front when it is open. I tend to walk around a lot with my harness open, so I think it would bother me. Plus I like the side attachment straps for the Marsupial.

Yeah, but I like the “fold flat” of the marsupial be the OV which has the big scoop on the front when it is open. I tend to walk around a lot with my harness open, so I think it would bother me.

The marsupial is better for walking around with the harness open, but the OV is better in my opinion for walking around with the harness closed (which is what I prefer) because it opens and closes a little quicker. We're very fortunate that we have so many choices that accommodate different preferences.

TheCougar

WKR
I can definitely see that. The OV provides full coverage and is probably quieter to open and close. Every harness has a strong suit... AGC has storage, the FHF sits high and tight and has molle for attaching other items, the marsupial opens forward, the OV has full coverage and also opens forward. Sooner or later someone is going to put it all together!

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
I have both. Like several others here I prefer the front opening on the marsupial. But the storage on the AGC is excellent. My 12x50 el’s fit snugly in the marsupial medium but that is the size they recommend for them. Fit perfect in the AGC. Dust in the sides of the marsupial is definitely an issue here in north Texas. Both are well made but would like to see AGC upgrade their buckles. They obviously know there is an issue because they offer the better buckles on their website. Buy both!

I just ordered an AGC CUB on black friday and it showed up with the auto lock buckles installed. I didn't order or add them. Maybe they changed all the buckles over?

I haven't owned the AGC but have the Marsupial and several others before it. I really like the Marsupial because the top flips open forward and can stay down out of the way. Yes, the magnets will screw up your compass. As others have stated the AGC has more full coverage and the Marsupial isn't full coverage. The reason is because the more open sides allow you to grab the binos easier with your fingertips. With a more closed harness you fingertips grab onto the eyepieces, but with the open side your fingertips will grab a hold of the bino's body. I prefer this.

BTW: I cut out the middle magnet because I felt like I wanted it to be quieter and didn't need that much protection. The binos still can't come flying out even if I decided to run with them.

Lastly, I wish a harness manufacturer would use a quieter material for us that like to get really close to deer.

Grizz

FNG
I used the marsupial all deer and squirrel season this summer/fall and thought it did great. I run the rangefinder pouch and a leatherman on the harness strap and it supports them great. I was able to hang a full size radio in a pouch for some instructor work and it still stayed comfortable. I too was concerned about the side openings but found even in pouring rain that it kept my lenses dry. I'll see how it does with dust in january. I really like the fold out design on bino and lrf pockets and found it very convenient and quick. They will snap loudly if youre not careful. In early season expect to have a huge sweat spot on your chest, the foam they use helps but it still gets hot. Overall I think it works great and sew/material quality is very high. I'll probably add a silnylon cover if dust becomes an issue.

TheCougar

WKR
In my experience, the agc seems to ride lower than the FHF and marsupial. Is that just me, or do other folks see the same? I like it to ride high and tight on my chest.

Bones

WKR
I agree with the AGC riding lower. I actually have been running the Marsupial harness on the AGC pack for my Maven B2's, and it definitely helped keep it higher and tighter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
The magnet / compass issue is the only thing I don't like about my marsupial. I've used it multiple seasons and have found it fits me much better than the AGC cub.

I'll keep using my compass and phone GPS at an arms reach, but it may grow old...

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up an AGC this season and so far I love it. No complaints on the lid opening up rather than down. As a matter of fact I hunted one day in rain and the next in snow and liked the fact that the inside of the lid didn't hang open and get wet. Also like the near total contain that keeps dust and debris out when bow-hunting/stalking through high brush. I also appreciate the rangefinder pocket on the front. Very handy.

bruno59

WKR
I've used the agc for a few years now and like the way it covers the binos from dust and rain a friend has the marsupial and he likes it but it will get your binos wet with sideways rain also i just bought a new agc about a month ago the smallest one without the front pocket for $76 when they were having a sale free shipping too and it came with the new autolock buckles

tmorg27

FNG
I have the outdoor vision. I feel the the design is superior to the marsupial gear, and it's much smaller than the Agc. I would go look at the ov harness

Last edited:

prm

WKR
Does a smallish range finder fit in the bottom Max pocket on the AGC?

I've used the agc for a few years now and like the way it covers the binos from dust and rain a friend has the marsupial and he likes it but it will get your binos wet with sideways rain also i just bought a new agc about a month ago the smallest one without the front pocket for $76 when they were having a sale free shipping too and it came with the new autolock buckles

I run the marsupial and recently picked up the rain cover for it. I really like it and feel it works good at keeping extreme dust out as well. In sideways rain I wear my harness under my rain shell so that has never been an issue for me.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Finally got the kiddos to bed and opened up my Marsupial box. After adjusting the straps and dropping in my 8x32 ELs, here is my take:

1) This is a very well made product. Every stitch is tight. All buckets are quality. The foliage color is consistent from the webbing to the buckets to the codura. I have a few items from Hill People Gear, and I consider HPG to be some of the highest quality, USA made gear. What Marsupial is offering is an HPG equivalent. Well done. Very good quality control.

2) If you want light, tight, just right - this is your bino harness. It does not look like a chest rig capable of carrying 3 AR mags, a radio, maps, etc. It has 1 job - to hold and protect your binos without adding weight and bulk. And it does that job well. With 2 small side pouches, a chest facing pouch, and a forward facing zipper pouch, there isn't much room to store "stuff", and thats what I wanted.

3) The chest facing pouch is a nice spot to slip the iPhone. I didn't find the front facing zipper pouch to be roomy enough to hold a phone. This is the iPhone XS. Maybe that front zipper pocket will break in some, but as I currently see it - thats a place to hold an ID, license, some orange flagging, pair of ear plugs - something small and flat-ish.

4) I've seen the thread where people are ditching the chest buckles for wave lock G-hooks. I'm not 100% sure yet if I'm sold on that customization. I pulled those upper buckles all the way snug - right up to the tab where the safety straps connect. With no slack in the line, I experienced no twisting. More testing will tell the tale, but right now I'm sticking with the factory configuration.

5) Safety tethers....jury is still out. Not sure if I'll use these at all. It would be nice if the upper portion of the tether was adjustable. As they currently sit with my set-up, the tethers are too long. When I drop my ELs down, they nearly hang below the pouch. Part of this is me having the harness snugged up to get the pouch high and tight. I'll be considering ways to alter the tethers if I choose to use them. My gut is to leave them behind, have one less set of lines running across my chest.

Thats about all I can say for the first 15 min with the pouch. Its always nice to feel like you got your monies worth. I feel like I did, and supported an American company along the way.

As a side note - I splurged and bought myself one of their belts. This will result in a few of my other webbing belts finding the trash can. This is a great, comfortable belt and I really like the G-hook design.

Finally got the kiddos to bed and opened up my Marsupial box. After adjusting the straps and dropping in my 8x32 ELs, here is my take:

1) This is a very well made product. Every stitch is tight. All buckets are quality. The foliage color is consistent from the webbing to the buckets to the codura. I have a few items from Hill People Gear, and I consider HPG to be some of the highest quality, USA made gear. What Marsupial is offering is an HPG equivalent. Well done. Very good quality control.

2) If you want light, tight, just right - this is your bino harness. It does not look like a chest rig capable of carrying 3 AR mags, a radio, maps, etc. It has 1 job - to hold and protect your binos without adding weight and bulk. And it does that job well. With 2 small side pouches, a chest facing pouch, and a forward facing zipper pouch, there isn't much room to store "stuff", and thats what I wanted.

3) The chest facing pouch is a nice spot to slip the iPhone. I didn't find the front facing zipper pouch to be roomy enough to hold a phone. This is the iPhone XS. Maybe that front zipper pocket will break in some, but as I currently see it - thats a place to hold an ID, license, some orange flagging, pair of ear plugs - something small and flat-ish.

4) I've seen the thread where people are ditching the chest buckles for wave lock G-hooks. I'm not 100% sure yet if I'm sold on that customization. I pulled those upper buckles all the way snug - right up to the tab where the safety straps connect. With no slack in the line, I experienced no twisting. More testing will tell the tale, but right now I'm sticking with the factory configuration.

5) Safety tethers....jury is still out. Not sure if I'll use these at all. It would be nice if the upper portion of the tether was adjustable. As they currently sit with my set-up, the tethers are too long. When I drop my ELs down, they nearly hang below the pouch. Part of this is me having the harness snugged up to get the pouch high and tight. I'll be considering ways to alter the tethers if I choose to use them. My gut is to leave them behind, have one less set of lines running across my chest.

Thats about all I can say for the first 15 min with the pouch. Its always nice to feel like you got your monies worth. I feel like I did, and supported an American company along the way.

As a side note - I splurged and bought myself one of their belts. This will result in a few of my other webbing belts finding the trash can. This is a great, comfortable belt and I really like the G-hook design.

Nice review. This mirrors my thoughts on marsupial gear.