Vortex ranger 1300 reviews/recommendations?

bobr1

WKR
Hey guys,

So I've been researching a lot on the rangefinders and I am between the vortex ranger 1300 or the Leica 2000-b. I can get the 1300 for $225 or the Leica for $400. I know the Leica's are much nicer but I don't know if I am going to need something that good. From using the search on here (if I am using it correctly) I couldn't find a lot about the 1300. I'm leaning more towards the vortex just because they are the only company that has a lifetime warranty on their rangefinders. Looks like leica is only 2 years and have heard mixed things about customer service. Anyway, I doubt I will ever be shooting over 500-600 yards and just want to use it for bow hunting and rifle. I've been able to see both in person and both seem fine, I wasn't able to use them outside of the store so I'm limited on how they function at longer rangers.

Appreciate any input

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited:

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd go with the vortex. I've been using the 1300 for a few months and been very happy. Tough to spend a ton of money on a high end rangefinder.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

marktole

WKR
I have the 1800, which is the newer rangefinder vortex has come out with alongside the 1300, just ranges a little farther. I've been pretty satisfied with it as well. It doesn't like to work quite as fast when its cold, but it has to be cold, cold to notice it. I noticed it on a 3rd rifle hunt when it was probably pushing single digits or in the teens maybe.

It is also much faster from the time you press the button to turn it on, and press the button again to get a range, something I was never satisfied with on my 1500 before this one. I always felt like was staring at deer for an eternity trying to get the 1500 to turn on and give me a range while I was bow hunting. I don't have that problem with the 1800.

Also, I'm sure the Leica will beat the Vortex on return time to get a range, but I've always felt like if you're at 300 yards and the animal doesn't know you're there, who cares? Talking half a second difference anyways.

NeedleCrook

Lil-Rokslider
I have the vortex ranger 1000, I've had it for a few years now. And honestly I've never been happy with it. It's slow, you have to keep it very steady, and good luck getting any kind of range last 500-600 yards. And that's pointed at a giant rock, not a small object like a deer. Granted this is the 1000, vortex may have made some big leaps forward sense coming out with the 1300 and 1800. That said for shorter distances it works great.. I think for longer ranges I would look elsewhere. From what I've read and heard, the Nikon 3000 stabilizer looks like the way to go. I'll probably end up selling mine and getting one of those before next season.

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have the vortex ranger 1000, I've had it for a few years now. And honestly I've never been happy with it. It's slow, you have to keep it very steady, and good luck getting any kind of range last 500-600 yards. And that's pointed at a giant rock, not a small object like a deer. Granted this is the 1000, vortex may have made some big leaps forward sense coming out with the 1300 and 1800. That said for shorter distances it works great.. I think for longer ranges I would look elsewhere. From what I've read and heard, the Nikon 3000 stabilizer looks like the way to go. I'll probably end up selling mine and getting one of those before next season.

Just FYI, the 1000 was slow! The new model is actually 2 models newer than the 1000, and there are no speed issues at all now, even in scanning mode. In regards to the Nikon, its a great rangefinder. the stabilization can be a bit odd at first, reminded me of a canon camcorder with stabilization. But once you get used to it its great. I personally still like and recommend the vortex 1300 or my leupold tbr 1600.

NeedleCrook

Lil-Rokslider
Just FYI, the 1000 was slow! The new model is actually 2 models newer than the 1000, and there are no speed issues at all now, even in scanning mode. In regards to the Nikon, its a great rangefinder. the stabilization can be a bit odd at first, reminded me of a canon camcorder with stabilization. But once you get used to it its great. I personally still like and recommend the vortex 1300 or my leupold tbr 1600.

That's good to know, thank you.. I'm a fan of Vortex, I have the razor HD binos and a viper scope. I'm glad to know the range finders have gotten better. I'll have to look at those too.

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
Never have been impressed with Vortex rangefinders. They have slow return times compared to others on the market for a similar price. Sig makes a great rangefinder. Look in to the 1200, it will give you the ranges you need, fast and still come in cheaper than the vortex. I would also look at the Leupold 1300TBR. Similar in price to the Vortex and has a brighter display.

KHNC

WKR
Never have been impressed with Vortex rangefinders. They have slow return times compared to others on the market for a similar price. Sig makes a great rangefinder. Look in to the 1200, it will give you the ranges you need, fast and still come in cheaper than the vortex. I would also look at the Leupold 1300TBR. Similar in price to the Vortex and has a brighter display.

Not sure how you can get a brighter display than the Ranger 1500. At the brightest setting, it will almost blind you when looking thru it. Gathers light enough to range when its just about too dark to shoot also. what else would someone want? Yes, the Leica is a little faster but not much at 1000 yds.

CorbLand

WKR
Not sure how you can get a brighter display than the Ranger 1500. At the brightest setting, it will almost blind you when looking thru it. Gathers light enough to range when its just about too dark to shoot also. what else would someone want? Yes, the Leica is a little faster but not much at 1000 yds.

I have always found the displays on Leupold brighter than most rangefinders. Could just be me and my eyes. I am color blind and cant read Leica displays to save my life.

OP
B

bobr1

WKR
Well, I decided on getting the vortex. It looks like they updated the electronics on the 1300 from the previous models so it ranges faster but does have a minimum temp of 14 degrees for optimal performance. I think for now it should do what I need and we'll see how it performs this upcoming year. Thanks for everyone's advice and input, I really appreciate it.

dusky

FNG
Picking up an old thread, I see. I was just looking up what others have to say about the 1300 after this past weekend it utterly failed to return a single yardage (roughly 400 yards) on my pronghorn stalk. Was it the bright light and waving grass that inhibited it? Was I too shaky? Even so, I've never been able to range past 800 yards even in ideal conditions.

section8mainiac

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve seen the same issues with Vortex. I had the Ranger 1000 and the 1500. Slow and unreliable when you need them most. I switched to Sig.