8x42 or 10x42 what is top choice?

mikelogg

FNG
i ordered a set of mavens 10x42 last night but thinking of having them send me a set of 8x instead not sure if i should stick with the 10s...

OP
M

mikelogg

FNG
Yea I couldn't pass up the purchase with there there black Friday deal going on just not sure if i should stick with the 10s or tell them to send 8s instead...

bobr1

WKR
Personal choice, but it seems to be most people on the forums like the 10x42s for an all around bino. Good compromise of weight and light gathering I suppose. They feel solid in the hand but not to big.

Last edited:
Generally speaking- no experience with Maven, I used to be a 10 guy, now I greatly appreciate the 8's. Just enjoy the field of view more.

The majority is 10x for a reason as stated. I have the C1 10x42 and they're awesome. If you're hunting more heavily timbered country then maybe the 8x but it's nice to have the extra magnification in the wide open West.

Wrench

WKR
I've got alpha's in both and typically the 8x are more forgiving to heat, shake and low light....10s have a bit more mag, but it's just that....a bit. Not a "WOW, that's 2x bigger".

prm

WKR
If I’m holding them, I prefer 8x, if seated with a rest and looking reasonably far, I prefer 10x.

LostArra

WKR
I've got alpha's in both and typically the 8x are more forgiving to heat, shake and low light....10s have a bit more mag, but it's just that....a bit. Not a "WOW, that's 2x bigger".

Exactly!
An elk standing at 1000 yards:
With 10x it will appear as 100 yards
With 8x it will appear as 125 yards
That is the 10x "advantage"

Depth of field (less focus adjustment with 8x), field of view, exit pupil (low light), binocular weight, easier one-hand hold (less shake) all favor 8x assuming same glass quality and objective size.

There is no wrong choice (I own both) as long as you know what you gain or lose with each. If you are only looking at deer in a bean field at 200 yards then the magnification difference is less important (20 yds vs 25 yds ). If you are evaluating elk antlers at one mile, then maybe the 10x is important. I'm usually just identifying them as elk vs rocks so 8x work.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Even with 10's I have NEVER wished I had less power, but often have wished for more power. I might eventually settle on 12's.

But for archery hunting I always use my 8x32's.

Wrench

WKR
I found 12x leica to be useless without a tripod. With, I can tell a buck from a doe at t miles in the right conditions.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I found 12x leica to be useless without a tripod.

I had my Meopta 15's for four years and never used those on a tripod even once. Never had an issue with them, but mostly used them for 3D is all. That's why I sold them. But since selling them, I find the 10's to not be quite enough for 3D now. I guess I should have tested the 10's BEFORE selling my 15's. I might try some 12's or get another pair of the 15's.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Man I can hear the collective shudder of every Arizonian

If a guy is going to sit and glass, then sure......tripod those things. But you'd want to do that with any power binos if you're spending time glassing. But for quick glances at verifying something or being able to see all the rings on a 3D target, they worked just fine without a tripod.